It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican dissidents join forces to form a new IRA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Republican dissidents join forces to form a new IRA

www.guardian.co.uk

Three of the four main dissident republican terror groups in Northern Ireland are to merge and reclaim the banner of the IRA, in a major escalation of attempts to destabilise power sharing.

The new organisation is planning to intensify terror attacks on the security forces and other targets related to what it regards as symbols of the British presence, according to the source.

Such targets could include police stations, the regional headquarters of Ulster Bank and the UK City of Culture 2013 celebration in Derry – which the dissidents have described as "normalising British rule".
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.u.tv
sluggerotoole.com
www.rte.ie
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Interesting development. It seems like a terror campaign or at least an attempt at one could be in the offing. I assume MI6/5 are all over this.

This was inevitable really, as the conflict was never really ended, just a negative peace enforced on all the participants.

Here is some of the statement from the "the IRA Army Council":

"Non-conformist republicans are being subjected to harassment, arrest and violence by the forces of the British crown; others have been interned on the direction of an English overlord. It is Britain, not the IRA, which has chosen provocation and conflict.

"The IRA's mandate for armed struggle derives from Britain's denial of the fundamental right of the Irish people to national self-determination and sovereignty – so long as Britain persists in its denial of national and democratic rights in Ireland the IRA will have to continue to assert those rights.

www.guardian.co.uk...

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is quite sad.

Already thousands of people have lost their lives - through death, and complete waste - over something that is pretty inconsequential to them.

I can understand individuals in France fighting for freedom from Nazi rule. I can understand people in Gaza fighting Israel to claim their land, livelihoods and freedom back.

I can't understand people in Ireland fighting, dying, or simply wasting their lives away fighting to replace one government with a near identical one.

This is why mindless nationalism is a dangerous thing.

I have no real opinion on whether the British government should have any say in any part of Ireland - I'm thinking not. But I still don't understand wasting your life fighting over something that is pretty much inconsequential to the lives of the people, their real lives and well-being. It's just such a waste!

And you can bet that our agencies will be all over it. We have a lot of experience fighting against the IRA, and they have lost a lot of credibility, support, skills and reach over the years. They are nowhere near as dangerous as they once were.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

This is a seriously worrying development. If this happens, you can be sure that the Protestant paramilatries (sp?) will not sit quietly and allow this to happen. And if that happens you can be sure that Northern Ireland will decend into a war much, much worse that the Troubles. I hope and pray that this doesnt happen, but I have lived here all my life and I have seen what both sides are capable of.

'This sad little island is breaking my heart with its dark shades of green...'

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rebelchildoflight2011

We shall see what these statements will amount to. They will have to secure (if they haven't already) a steady stream of weaponry and have in their ranks some fairly talented and level headed members to carry out a well coordinated, uninterrupted attack/s. They would also need to be very lucky and have no moles or leaks.

It seems pretty clear that this conflict will never be fully over until there is a unified Ireland, which I expect will happen at some point. The Good Friday agreement was just a stop gap. There will always be a significant amount of Catholics to the right of Sinn Fein who will never accept the British presence and ultimate authority.

edit on 26-7-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Perhaps they require more a Thomas Paine than a Rambo; but then, how nations achieve sovereignty is something it is not my place to criticize... that house is made of glass.

I fear this escalating 'severe' news trend could be a natural development in social evolution... or this could be even worse.

CX

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I wonder how much the public would let this happen again?

Only last week i was talking to a woman from N.I who grew up through the troubles, we were exchanging stories what with me serving in S. Armagh, and she was so passionate about how much the public never wanted to see that side of things again.

I think a lot of things have changed in the past few years, the IRA certainly wouldn't be such a romantic idea to most of the mentally stable world any more.

I hope we never see British troops there again like before, let the PSNI and relevant agencies sort it out like we would here.

CX.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It is time that IRA kicks the imperial British out as Britain is becoming the wahabbi asylum of sharia law terrorists.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
It is time that IRA kicks the imperial British out as Britain is becoming the wahabbi asylum of sharia law terrorists.

Whilst I agree with the latter part of the sentance I disagree with the opening part, what good does it to harm innocents who have no control over those in power?
What purpose would the new IRA 2.0 have other than to kill innocents and glorify itself?.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Bummer, I thought that some republican yanks had finally woken up to the garbage that Romney was blubbering and decided to work to make a proper GOP

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Besides which, polls taken a few years ago showed the majority of N.I. were happy to stay part of the UK. The UK isn't excercising some kind of monstrous colonial force here, it's just not going to give in to a few terrorists who somehow think killing innocent people and children will win them admirers in that very same country.

And lets not draw comparisons to what countries may be doing in other parts of the world, we already know everyones a hyppocritte.

(Sorry I can't look for that poll right now, I have to leave for work)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I applaud the progress. However, I do worry that uneducated Americans will latch on to the "republican" label and consider their own topical cause as universal. Not your problem, but there it is.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by alumnathe

Well, there are 45+ million Irish decedents in America, and there are many concentrated Irish communities in America. You might get a few Americans not understanding that "Republican" is not universal, but you will get even more Americans that stand by Ireland at all costs just as they did during the Troubles (which had a lot of American support, finances, and weaponry). Even our own government was complicit in funding and instructing the IRA. So while it's funny to make fun of ignorant Americans when it comes to an armed struggle in Ireland, It should also be very frightening that when push comes to shove ..... many back Ireland's rebels.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by steve1709

Bummer, I thought that some republican yanks had finally woken up to the garbage that Romney was blubbering and decided to work to make a proper GOP

Ha ha, is there such a thing as a proper GOP? They have always been about voodoo economics and can't do this can't do that social policies.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

And the fact that successive US governments and the American people funded terrorism and were actively complicit in the murder of innocent people, including women and children, will never be forgotten or forgiven by many British people.

It came as no surprise to us that once the US suffered one act of terrorism on it's shores and sought retribution that far exceeded that act they required the support and involvement of the UK.
However, that support is conveniently forgotten in favour of some misguided, delusional and romanticised dream.

Is it any wonder that a large percentage of Brits have nothing but contempt for our American 'friends and allies'?

The simple FACT is that the vast majority of people in Northern Ireland, including the Catholic community, are in favour of remaining within the United Kingdom and do not support these terrorists.
The people of Northern Ireland have a large say in the governing of Ulster in Stormont yet they are still an active, valued and treasured part of The United Kingdom.

These terrorists are very, very few in number and represent a very small and increasingly marginalised minority within Northern Ireland and The Republic.

The realities of The Troubles was that the funding from the USA helped fund the IRA, INLA etc complicit involvement with the UDA, UVF etc in gun running, drug smuggling and dealing, prostitution and extortion rackets etc.
The terrorists held control through fear and bullying using religion and dreams of unification as a tool to help them extort and exploit a fortune from the very communities they allegedly protected and defended.

That is the reality of what the people of Northern Ireland want to move on from and what those that are laughingly called Irish-Americans seek to fund.

ETA.
Sorry, I forgot;
They aren't rebels - they are murdering, terrorist scumbags.
edit on 27/7/12 by Freeborn because: Add ETA and clarity

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Just in time for the olympics.....

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Good call, I guess any party that would have a drunken fool like bush in it would have no way to organise (aussie spelling) ANY sort of good party : )
edit on 27/7/12 by steve1709 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

If memory serves me correct; Al-Qaeda resurfaced just in time for America's war to get lithium and oil.

In GB the fabled bogeyman is the IRA and presto ala kazaam; here they are again.

Expect some lost lives, lost rights and lost money coming to a UK near you.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

No Lithium or oil in NI, fortunately. In the case of the conflict from the 60's through to the 90's when bombs were going off in NI and the British mainland there were plenty of curfews and restrictions placed on the N Irish which were not implemented on the mainland.

The response was quite restrained in regards to new laws, compared to post 9-11. I fear is this restarts majorly correct.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

America was one among many countries who the IRA had ties with. Libya under Qaddafi were their main supporters. Hezbollah were also a supporter as were the PLO, throw in with that a bit of KGB and Stasi involvement.

NORAID were the biggest contributors to Sinn Fein and the movement from the US. It will be interesting to find out what this new "army" and who they will have ties with.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join