reply to post by Allis1
1. The origin of life is irrelevant to the biological fact of Evolution. No one is quite sure how life originated on planet Earth but experiments have
shown that the basic building blocks of life were all here. Life on Earth is carbon based and at the base level involves simple organic chemistry. The
idea that somehow magic, or the supernatural, are needed to create life is absurd and flies in the face of everything we know about life.
2. DNA is a chemical. Life is just a fascinating expression of natural chemistry. The idea that we need to invoke the supernatural to explain it is
3. Here's the creationists favorite misused word, "information". Most mutations occur via DNA copying errors, some are bad for the organism, some
benign and very few are beneficial but when you've got a new generation every so often your bound to get beneficial mutations. The amount of DNA
"information" doesn't necessarily correspond to intelligence or complexity in a life-form. For instance human beings have a vast treasure trove of
inactive "junk" DNA, while a Puffer Fish has no junk.
4. I used to be a creationist and I never heard natural selection espoused as being a real thing. Oh sure they talk about natural selection within a
"kind', whatever the hell a kind is, such as the artificial selection of dog breeds, but they like to pretend that imaginary boundaries exist which
somehow prevent new species from developing. These boundaries are never clearly defined and can only be described as supernatural as no natural
mechanism has ever been found to stop one species from evolving into another and, in fact, speciation has been observed both in nature and laboratory
5. I'm not a scientist and honestly a detail like this is irrelevant to the broader reality of evolution. I can tell you what the answer IS NOT, the
answer isn't "God just decided to make it that way". Most, if not all, of these questions can be reflected directly back at the creationists, and
as a former Christian (and old earth creationist) I can tell you Genesis doesn't have a damn thing to say about biochemical pathways.
6. In the same way that we can know rocks were not designed, or that the coast of Norway wasn't really designed by Slartibartfast. We've studied
life in all its known forms, from the morphological, to the behavioral, to the genetic, to the ancient fossils, and what we've discovered is a shared
common ancestry. We've also found that when you go back far enough all you find are single-celled organisms, this means that all life shares common
7. Magic isn't the answer
8. Sex has advantages over asexual reproduction which are obvious. An offspring born of two parents tends to be more resilient and adaptable than an
almost identical copy. How it originated, I don't know exactly, I'm not a scientist. If you believe the genesis story sex originated when God
paraded the animals before Adam and a "suitable helper could not be found" (if you know what they mean).
9. Fossilization is rare. We do have hundreds of transitional fossils. A simple google search would answer their question.
10. Most of these animals are not UNCHANGED, they have changed. They do look similar of course, but then we look very similar to chimpanzees even
though we diverged millions of years ago. Most animals which seem unchanged for millions of years have found an evolutionary niche, they survive very
well in their current form and environment and thus the pressure to evolve is less.
11. How did a God who was alone for eons before creating life create intelligence, meaning, altruism and morality? Seriously, think hard about this
one. How can a God with no peers like himself, with nothing to interact with, be moral, loving or intelligent? Morality, love and knowledge require
things besides God to exist, but if they can't exist without God - PARADOX.
The evolution of morality is an easy one, we social species rely on each other to survive, it's a lot easier to work together as a group when you
aren't total jerks to each other.
13. Vaccines you morons. Diseases mutate all the time, to stay ahead of the curve you need to know about evolution.
14. No one has a problem with archaeology being taught as science (maybe some morons do). Are the ancient Egyptians also "just a theory" because
they are history.
15. It's a scientific fact, like gravity. You can deny it all you want, be my guest and jump out the window, you'll see just how "dogmatic"
Newton's theory is. If you have children chances are they are a combination of genes from you and your partner, they aren't exactly like the
generation before, congratulations, you've just proved evolution (and probably sinned against God in the process).