It's funny how a simple government form can make you examine your fears and beliefs.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
For a woman, an approaching birthday may be a thing to try to ignore. Not that she wants to be forgotten and left out, but rather the reflection in the mirror is carefully inspected for signs of new wrinkles around the eyes, and if unsure how the year has brought new signs of ageing, she may just sigh and leave it at that.

Finding myself in the above category, I put aside and ignored the early car registration renewal warning from the Department of Motor Vehicles that in the past made renewal obligatory by one's birthday. Things have changed though, and in keeping with that extra wrinkle, I'd forgotten about the new rule. The form advised me that this year my car would have to pass an etest before my being able to renew the license plates. In keeping with my personal war on wrinkles and aging, I put the car registration out of my mind until talking with one of my children who asked me if I'd renewed my sticker. Oh no I thought, how many days do I have left?

I renewed my insurance but because I always correctly associated my license plate sticker with my birthday which is coming soon, the DMV changed the rule on me and I completely missed the sticker renewal. A quick retrieval of the government form alerted me to the fact that my renewal time had actually run out two weeks ago! Although generally I am not one to attract the cops on the road, I do believe in Muphy's Law which assures me that if something can go wrong, it bloody well will and usually has done so. Better to come straight home after the etest and sort out my expenses.

So the form gives me two options: Either I renew the sticker for one year or two. And while I wait, I am examining my thoughts and fears about December 21st, 2012 in light of this renewal. I wonder what most ATS'ers have done. Did they opt for the minimum renewal time “just in case” or are they pooh-poohing the Dec 21st fear altogether and choosing the 2-year renewal?

What decision did you actually make at renewal time? Or if in my shoes, what decision would you make?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hope for the best...

Prepare for worst

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Put off renewing my motorcycle plate for 6 months lol. Oops....

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Go for two.
If you don't have a car next year...oh, well.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Just go for the two year sticker. You get a discount, and if the world does end, does spending a nominal amount more than usual really matter?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
My state, Michigan, doesn't give me the ability to choose 1 or 2 year renewal terms.

I kind of wish they did offer it to me! But I find myself in the same boat, as I tend to just put off the registration until the last minute. The past couple years, I remember the day after my birthday. So far, the workers at the SOS have been pretty nice and waived the fee's associated with being late.

While I do sincerely hope for something to happen this year, I'm going to live my life as I regularly would, and let those thoughts vacate my mind, as I have much more pressing matters to tend to!
edit on 26-7-2012 by QUANTUMGR4V17Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The savings to prepay that second year is usually small. I would hang onto the money rather than let the government keep it for you. I don't think any fears of 2012 should have any bearing on your decision.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Savings schmavings.
The less often I have to do anything the better.
edit on 7/26/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Renew it for this year.
Why?
Why not?

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Savings schmavings.
The less often I have to do anything the better.
edit on 7/26/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

How about the cha-cha?
edit on 26-7-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I got the 2 year renewal and mine expires this coming january 2013

If nothing happens,then I will renew for 2 more years and hope for the
best.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Both of our cars come up in November this year. I figure by then, if I look up and no planet is hurling certain death towards us, I will go ahead and renew for two.

Thanks for the laugh and smile :0)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
What a brilliant datamine!
Should I give up now that I know the world will end or should I continue on knowing that 2012 is only fear mongering?
Neat question.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Simple economic decision framework:

If renewing for one year versus two materially changes your economic pleasure between NOW and when you have to renew again -- 1yr. No questions.

IF that savings doesn't benefit you in some identifiable way during said timeframe -- 2yrs.

You AREN'T in a situaion where the "house wins" if the world ends in December because money won't matter to you OR them. Everyone loses in that scenario.

So you only really care about scenarios where you win / they lose (or vice versa)....

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Great answers everyone!

I plan to go tomorrow and while renewing my sticker I will interview the agent to see whether they've noticed a difference in the two-tear option. I'll post the results when I get them.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I did not renew... accidently on purpose. That's right... driving almost a full year now... illegal as hell.

But in an agricultural community and county... no one notices. Especially if you leave the tail gate down on the pick up... which makes it really hard to read the tags... even for the stop light cameras in town... and if you always go 45-55mph... no problems.

My wife has gone 3 years now... I am about to embark on year #2 driving illegal as hell.

I think I will take it to the next level... ride around with the heat on and the windows down... living on the edge, man.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Heat on and windows down, what a picture! Thanks for the laugh, especially at this time of year.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Buy a year of sticker, use the other funds for botox injections, so you can face Amaggedon looking great, and with no worries on having to be compliant in chaos.

At the end of the world scenario, your good looks might get ya somwhere!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Sulie

Oh Sulie, I am laughing just so hard! You really created your reply in consideration of my post.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I'm sorry. I can't help but laughing though.........

If you go with the 2 year plan........and the world DOES end this December.......

Are your last thoughts going to be: "Crap! I KNEW I shouldn't have gone with the 2 year plan!" ????

Not laughing at you. I just find the whole thing kind of funny, as I know that for me anyways if the world was ending around me, my last thoughts wouldn't be about my car registration....

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

2012 is a hoax, don't feel stupid when 2013 gets here. Just in case you don't understand, do not contemplate 2012 when making decisions.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join