It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best survival handbook when the SHTF

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

The SAS Survival Guide is a good basic handbook although the detail is lacking, without previous knowledge of the techniques involved you would struggle to accomplish long term survival. Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills is a much more in depth Survival Book, with this book alone you could be butt naked in a SHTF and not only survive, but thrive.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

The SAS is great, it would he my #2 recomendation but if you can find it the SURVIVAL, EVASION, RESISTANCE AND ESCAPE HANDBOOK, SERE and GUERILLA WARFARE AND SPECIAL FORCES OPERATIONS, US Army Field Manual, FM 31-21 combined manual is my #1suggestion. You can sometimes find it on Amazon pretty cheap.

I still have my SERE manual from my course and IMO it is even more informative than the SAS manual.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
ive started a whole library that i will take with me if i can

i have a horse training book
dog training book
medical info book and first aid
atlas
biology book
algebra book
sas guide to survival
sas tracking guide
plant sphyradics book (alchemy,extracting medicines and such)
do it your self guide to home repairs
electricity and electronics course material
a book that has rules for a bunch of different card games
a complete guide to the force (maybe if i survive long enough i can implement it as the new religion among other survivers,lol)

also a couple of gardeniing guides
edit on 26-7-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

This is the best thing to give you an overall base for your survival....

E

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
yeah I have the SAS also, and the boy scout handbook. I went ahead and got the combat field surgery manual and another good first aid book. There are too many books to choose from really, so many things you need to know to really survive in any environment. Start practicing the things you read, what ever book/books you get. it would be hell to have to look something up and grasp what you are reading in an emergency. a good pocket pill book would be handy also, so after TSHTF if you find some medicine you could know what you have and how to use it.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The Big book of Chords.*
Word search and puzzle books*

or

SAS Survival Guide Handbook
The Zombie Survival Guide.*
Edible plants in you region book
First aid manual.

*This of course depends on whether you want to laugh and have fun while surviving.

edit on 12-8-2012 by The Utopian Penguin because: for the fun of it

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by EqualizerUK

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
ive started a whole library that i will take with me if i can

i have a horse training book
dog training book
medical info book and first aid
atlas
biology book
algebra book
sas guide to survival
sas tracking guide
plant sphyradics book (alchemy,extracting medicines and such)
do it your self guide to home repairs
electricity and electronics course material
a book that has rules for a bunch of different card games
a complete guide to the force (maybe if i survive long enough i can implement it as the new religion among other survivers,lol)

also a couple of gardeniing guides
edit on 26-7-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

This is the best thing to give you an overall base for your survival....

E

Would it not be great to have these and other books mentioned by ATS members in E-book format on an USB-stick?

I mean...when you are in the field and need to cary a library on your back isn't a thing to look forward to. An e-tablet/ reader with solar power would be an excellent solution. And of course there would be some fun games on the USB-stick to overcome savage moments.

Btw...any suggestions for a solarpowered e-tablet/ e-reader or a solarbattery-device that could give energy to such a e-tablet? And, is the much coveted SAS book available as an e-book?

edit on 12/8/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Anything that produces 5 volts 1.1 amps. and up (=10 watts)
solar,hand crank,wind.,anything that will charge a phone works.

Recommend pads with micro or SD memory card ports for storage.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
reply to post by zatara

Anything that produces 5 volts 1.1 amps. and up (=10 watts)
solar,hand crank,wind.,anything that will charge a phone works.

Recommend pads with micro or SD memory card ports for storage.

5 volts at 1.1 amps is 5.5 watts.

Any hand cranks that produce 5 watts or more are large boat anchor like units that fit in a brief case. It unfortunately defeats the portability aspect of using a tablet and reduces the reliability by adding more equipment with complex mechanical and electrical parts beckoning back to the good old-fashioned paper documents.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

I-pads need 10 watts to charge,others can get away with 5.5 watts.

Just add "I-pad" before the =

edit on 12-8-2012 by The Utopian Penguin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I have both the SAS books, field and urban. If you want more urban a good one is "When all hell breaks loose" By Cody Lundin another one of his for field use is 98.6 Degrees the art of keeping your ass alive. One extra good thing about the SAS book is they come in a mini version that is very small to fit in your pocket . You will NOT be able to carry around 5-6 books if you do have to move out, so pick the best 1 for field and 1 for urban is my suggestion. I would not leave my house unless it was absolutely necessary. The folks that plan on just going out into the unknown country side are going to die in a week or 2 I guaranty it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join