It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter is Down: World Wide Twitter Outage

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by faryjay
reply to post by unityemissions

I meant in the form of people actually physically interacted with each other.

When I say World ... I didn't mean the government and blah blah!

Okay, so that I understand, you mean that people who physically interact are having better relationships than if they were online, correct?

Again, the jury is still out. The experience is different, but may be equal overall. What is fascinating is the newer studies which are starting to come out. I recall hearing on NPR of how the youth are growing more adult-like brains at younger ages now, and the thought is this is because of all the stimulus technology has provided. Things like video games, online social networks, etc...

Another interesting thing to note is that people are traditionally only able to have up to 150 social connections that they can store a decent amount of information on to have true friendships with. HOWEVER, the newer bunch who have been online their whole lives are able to handle 400+ connections!!

There may be numerous benefits of socializing online, that transfer into the real world. The very fact that we can communicate the whole world over, crossing national, cultural, religious, sexist, ect...boundaries, is a HUGE step forward towards world peace.

It's easy to see that what divides us is mostly programmed into us familial, socially, or culturally. Online social networks bridge these gaps, and give alternative realities of who we really are, VS what the propaganda tells us is so.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Google talk was also down.

Link

And Facebook experiencing problems.

Link

Edit: 3 main social media sites down before olympics. This is a conspiracy site. You know what it means...

edit on 26-7-2012 by Solarize because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by faryjay

I agree with some of your point -- I have often called Twitter, the "giant garbage can in the sky"....almost ANYTHING that is tweeted has a very, very short shelf life....

However, that constant stream design makes it ideal in certain situations. It can be a great live news feed if setup to follow a particular set of sources.

In emergencies, it can deliver short snipits of what is happening around you...far quicker and more content than tv or radio.....

It gives certain people a voice box (albeit limited) that they never had (but hey, some message is better than no message).....

It's by no means perfect....but an innovation in communication that has its place in society.....

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Honestly who gives a twit?

edit on 26-7-2012 by jheated5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
its working fine for me. its not unusal for it to take a short hit every so often with so many people using it.

seems fine now

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
could this be a test for future events, shutting down all social next works world wide.
lets see if others like face book, reddit and the like go down in the near future.
the reason i say this comes from this in the op's link.
[snipped]
testing shut downs of all social networks when ever they decide to do what ever, happens?

My thoughts exactly. It reminds me of the "problem" that one of the big UK mobile phone service providers had about a week ago, when for several hours, about nine million customers couldn't make calls, send messages or access internet via their phones. Oh yeah, then there was that messup with several banks in the UK a few weeks back, where for days, millions of people couldn't access their accounts.

"Technical issues", you know...

Sure, I know that technical issues happen, but you'd think they could resolve them a little faster, or at least have backups that actually work. But obviously they can't fix them quickly -- or they don't have backups. Or even if they do, then those backups aren't worth a bent nickel.

Kind of like keeping a spare tire in the trunk for ages and then when you need it, you find it's flatter than the one on the car. Or you don't have a jack!

Whatever, pretty well any form of electronic communication can be taken down by "technical issues" at any time and if it happens, the vast majority of people cannot do anything about it. They just blame the providers and never imagine that it might be a higher authority that pulled the darned plug.

Mike
edit on 26/7/12 by JustMike because: typo

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
Honestly who gives a twit?

Personally, I would never use twitter, just on the basis that it would make me a twitterer.
(If they'd called it something else I might use it.)

All, the same, millions do and that makes it a potentially powerful tool for people to exchange information that TPTB might rather we didn't know about. So that's why I get concerned about how easily these services can suddenly go down.

reply to post by SFWatcher

Was just reading back up the page after posting and saw your post. You put it better than I did.

Mike
edit on 26/7/12 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Oh look, billions of people lose their ability to make their personal lives and opinions public world-wide...

Isn't that a shame?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This is just the beginning, guys. There is an outage because things are starting to move and controlling information is an important part of warfare. It has a lot more to do with than just a simple social media outage. The timing is also much too coincidental.
edit on 26-7-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
My electric was going in and out and I was crying. Couldn't get on ATS.
Can only imagine how the twitter folks were acting.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I've heard of people crying over that before. I couldn't stop laughing.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join