It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's a maths bofin when you need one?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Ok..bit of a dilema going on here..
I have some numbers to crunch, trying to work it out for work purposes for somebody.. both of us are kinda struggling to get our head around a particular issue..

here's the problem..

person is paid 6.25 an hour for a 6 hour day, 5 times a week and paid at the end of each month.

so far so good..

364 days in a year or 12 months or 52 weeks...

Now this is where we're getting lost..

6.25hrs X 6hr day X 5days X 4 weeks X12 months = 9000
but
6.25 X 6hrs X 5 days X 52 weeks = 9750
or
364 days minus 2 days each week = 260 days.
6.25 X 6 X 260 = 9750

how in the heck does that work out like that?
how can a monthly salary be lower than a weekly or daily salary which are the same?
Which do we use as a base when the person is paid monthly?

If I'm being real dumb then please point out where I'm going wrong.. seems daft to have two different results..

As a side note and a little twist to the thread.. which do you reckon the banks would use (and corporations) in order to evade taxes or hide money?.. if both are right...

thanks in advance from a low level maths/accounting noob

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

In the first calculation you are multiplying by 4 weeks in a month which isn't exact it leaves over roughly 2.5 days as there are only 28 days in 4 weeks but roughly 2.5 more days than that in a month.

2.5x12=30 which = a months of pay which is the extra 750 you see when you calculate the others by days...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

thx for that.. that's where the twist is then.. as it's only 20 days work a month which gives 240 days a year which = 9000

even if some months do have 31 days

Blimey, I'd hate to be an accountant

was doing our heads in that was as we need to submit one of those numbers.. submit too low and we'll have to pay back excess.. submit too high and we gotta wait a year for a bonus payment..

new topics

join