It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jersey Shore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Because there is nothing on cable (72 channels!), even the “History” Channel and NetGeo has become moronic, I decided to see what a modern popular show is like in order to get a glimpse into the mind of the average American. I am not against gratuitous sex. However, I saw the characters as non-people because tho they were adults they had no personality or even the most rudimentary insights. I would be embarrassed to be seen with them. However, they are our role models!!!
I’m sure that a frequent viewer of en.wikipedia.org... would find en.wikipedia.org... high brow and way too sophisticated!!
This got me to thinking. Considering that there is nothing on cable for intelligent people, an intelligent program would be very profitable. The pie composed of viewers that are morons would be much bigger but would have to be divided into 71 pieces (channels). Are things so bad that over 98% of Americans are morons and that is why an intelligent show can never be successful?
I find it hard to believe that Americans (I am a concerned American) have sunk to the level where Gilligan’s Island is considered sophisticated!
The only other explanation is that the media (because the elite controls it) is trying to dumb us down.
Both explanations are shocking!

edit on 26-7-2012 by wittgenstein because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2012 by wittgenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
TV programs have been dumb down to the lowest of the low.

Discovery channel had a fake show about mermaids.

History Channel shows Pawn Stars. How is that "history"?

E! shows 3 programs about stuff about a family that was made famous by some guys penis.

Another channel has a show about a woman that can't stop having kids.

And another about a dwarf family living on a pumpkin farm.

There's about 3 shows about tow trucking.

A couple shows about catching alligators.

3 shows about buying storage lockers.

About 3 shows about baking cupcakes.

Yay!
edit on 26-7-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I have watched this show. I was amazed. The reason I watched it is because my 16 year old nephew loves it and talks about it all the time. I wanted to show him that I was willing to give his stuff a chance before I made a judgement just from the commercials. I say "Ok, go ahead play it. I'll see what all the fuss is about."

I couldn't believe the idiocy. I couldn't believe all the drama these characters created over nothing. I couldn't believe the casual way they had sex with seemingly everyone. I literally couldn't believe that these are real people! What is worse is so many people look up to them and love watching them. What is it about it? I can't even understand.

I made my comments about the show to my nephew and he just laughed it off and said that's why he likes the show. It's so ridiculous and over the top. I told him that I hope he doesn't emulate them and their behaviors and I conceded that we all have our guilty pleasures. You know I didn't want to bash him. But my goodness, I just was amazed.

I do think it's an effort to dumb us down though.
edit on 26-7-2012 by Ellie Sagan because: grammar

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

Yes I have realized all this too. It is super annoying that it is so hard to find intelligent t.v. to watch. Most the time I don't turn it on. I have a couple sitcoms I like to see when they are on, but most the time I try to just keep it off. My husband will automatically turn on the t.v. and channel surf. He watches some of the most ridiculous stuff sometimes. I've taken to leaving the room instead of complaining that he shouldn't be watching such garbage. It's his choice, but I don't have to subject myself to it. To be fair though, he spends a good deal of time watching home repair shows and car stuff. He does like to learn the practical stuff. But even that I see as a harm because when he watches that stuff so often it makes him dissatisfied with our home and our financial inability to fix and remodel what he wants to. So I see it as harmful that way. The car stuff--- he wants to be able to build hot rods and whatnot, but again, no money. So he feels crappy because he can't. I say stop watching that stuff and I bet you won't be so dissatisfied with what we have.

Maybe I'm rambling now, so I will leave it at that. I just wanted to say I related to what you posted.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Jersey Shore. Maury. Springer. The Kardasians. Heck .. even Americas Funniest Home Videos (video after video of people hurting themselves with a laugh track over it). All crap that is doing fairly well. It's a sad statement about America.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

Yeah, I really didn't like that by Discovery....it was presented like it was any other Discovery show, like a normal documentary they do. No disclaimers or anything like that. Really made me lose respect for them. They don't usually do things like that.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
What I dont like are all the attention getting horrible crime shows of DEATH like first 48, where the families of the dead are exploited for financial gain of television companies. There are many shows about spouse murder or ganglands & many of the csi type series based on true stories or information. I remember the shows of the past and didnt realize how effective they were until these days. Now entertainment is based off of someones elses private life on a reality television show. I guess its good to still have books around
to entertain the minds that are not happy with todays all in everybody elses business shows. It is a said game of dumming down the conscious and its working.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
nobody watches the Science channel (SCI)
they have some pretty intersting shows on there. Through The Wormhole is pretty good!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I was under the impression that people watch this CRAP to make themselves feel better about their mundane lives. I mean, if you were to have a bad day you could turn on the boob tube and watch someone that sucks so bad that you somehow feel better about yourself. I gave up cable a few years ago though. Best thing I've ever done. I did get Netflix. I can watch whatever I want without all the commercials. The selection isnt outstanding but thats even better. Less time spent in front of the moron box is better for everyone.

MOTF!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Discovery just buys shows, they actualy don't make them. Independant video makers create them and sell them to Discovery.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Actually, I learned about NFL history on pawn stars the other day when a game phamplet showed up that had a value of 10,000 dollars.
It ended up being the competetive game that turned into the NFL Championship game. There are only about 3 in existance.

Some of the artifacts that come in there are historical.

I learn a lot from Oddities too.

I like NatGeo and I am getting a big kick out of their American Colony series.

All these colonies are having the same struggles, trying to keep tradition when the kids want an education and an ipod.
edit on 26-7-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
they have some pretty intersting shows on there. Through The Wormhole is pretty good!

I freakin love Wormhole!!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26

I freakin love Wormhole!!

Me too

edit on 7/26/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Yeah, I really didn't like that by Discovery....it was presented like it was any other Discovery show, like a normal documentary they do. No disclaimers or anything like that. Really made me lose respect for them. They don't usually do things like that.

I know!!!

I was so pissed!!

I actually believed it.

I got all sad when I found out it wasn't real.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
There are a couple of TV shows in the UK along the lines of Jersey Shore. What gets me is that these plastic people are then touted as "celebrities"! Although, these days, it seems one can become a celebrity simply for sleeping with another one and blabbing to the tabloids about it.

Seriously, I look at "news" websites these days and all the endless celeb gossip and I just don't know who these people are, and when I find out, I can't understand why they are even receiving column inches in the papers or being discussed by "news" organisations.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I watch Science Channel all the time.

There was another Morgan Freeman show I was watching last night.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
If all there was on t.v were re-runs of 50s sitcoms people would still complain "it is to dumb people down". I think people have lost the ability to discern entertainment from real life.

I dont think i have watched 5 minutes of Jersey Shore but i am already satisfied with the assumption these people are ACTORS and they are what? ACTING.

Sure the producers use stereotypes they can safely get away with and i suppose they see it as the safest way out to get a show on.

I dont watch much t.v but there are some good shows on too. I was actually surprised watching the science channel that they cover alternative theories that "god forbid" would even be mentioned in some college science class.
edit on 26-7-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Where must our society be "culturally" if they are gleefully consuming "reality" shows that are scripted, produced, directed, and feature many celebrities and stars as "part" of the reality?

Remember how folks used to chide and tease people who avidly follow the sub-plots in professional wrestling? It's ALL professional wrestling now....

We still look to see celebrities even in documentaries.... what does that say about our culture?

Sadly, we clearly want others to tell us what to feel and think.... what to find funny and what to find offensive....

"It's a TV thing!"
edit on 26-7-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by pavil

Discovery just buys shows, they actualy don't make them. Independant video makers create them and sell them to Discovery.

I don't ever recall them doing a stunt like that before though..... poor decision for them .
edit on 26-7-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Fall of Rome stuff.
We have hit the bottom.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join