It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage. I am honestly confused

page: 70
<< 67  68  69   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by studythem1
not trying to derail anything...but what i do think is a right,

What's right is - - everyone having the same right.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

seems like you dont want to think about the consequences of what politicians think marriage equality should be...but please be aware of what else they want to sneak in along with it...and i can guarantee they do just exactly that in every case of legislation...

and speaking of derailing, its only fair, but it seems like that was your goal in this thread, to derail the OP...not saying i agree with their point of view, but you did sort of hijack the thread a bit...

THE OP:

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
Why are gays and lesbians not fighting to simply have the same rights as married people under the law, without entering into a religious institution?

I do not get the whole wanting to marry thing at all! I get the wanting to be with someone you love, and I get its no ones business what you do in your own home so long as its not harmful to another human being....

I just do not get the whole entering into a contract before God who does not approve thing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The answer is EQUAL RIGHTS.

Gays want Legal Marriage primarily because of the 1000 benefits, recognitions, tax exemptions etc - - afforded only via Legal Government Marriage.

There are gays in all God faiths. It is insulting to make statements they aren't also entering into a contract before God - - - just because the OP or someone else has an issue with it. There are many churches who support and perform (or are waiting for the right) to perform LEGAL Marriages for gays.

No one is forcing anyone to get a Legal marriage. God believers can have "God only" marriages if they want to.

BUT - - - point is - - they also have the choice of a Legal Marriage.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

seems like you dont want to think about the consequences of what politicians think marriage equality should be...but please be aware of what else they want to sneak in along with it...and i can guarantee they do just exactly that in every case of legislation...

and speaking of derailing, its only fair, but it seems like that was your goal in this thread, to derail the OP...not saying i agree with their point of view, but you did sort of hijack the thread a bit...

The OP's main issue is Marriage is a religious right.

There is nothing in the OP of this thread relating to the direction you want to debate.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
well you just proved my point by triple posting...and its funny how you think my point is wrong when clearly it fits right in with the heading of this forum which goes like this

Social Issues and Civil Unrest: Discussion of increasing civil unrest, inspired by the citizenry's distrust or anger toward their government throughout the world. This forum is also for the examination of government corruption, mismanagement, or other issues in social programs, the arts, and immigration.

the fact that they have already mismanaged this issue is key to understanding how to go about it properly, [sarcasm] but mismanagement is ok as long as you get your way or your point of view is catered to no matter what the consequences are...even if down the line we find that the drawbacks outweigh the benefits...

all im saying is be careful that what you want and the government says is the solution are the same thing, because 9 times out of 10, it is not and there will be some kind of penalty that goes along with the benefits...

how is that not relevant? what, do you want equality at any cost? even at the degradation of your own personal rights?

being oblivious to the pitfalls is not the way to go about things...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

well you just proved my point by triple posting...

Personal preference.

I get bored with long winded posts that tend to "circle repeat" points.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

ok, well then, if you prefer to be shafted overall, as long as you get some form of concessions, then why push your personal preference on others?

that is a bit of an oxymoron...sort of a self contradiction...a double standard...

isn't it about equality?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

ok, well then, if you prefer to be shafted overall, as long as you get some form of concessions, then why push your personal preference on others?

that is a bit of an oxymoron...sort of a self contradiction...a double standard...

isn't it about equality?

Still not interested.

Try someone else.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

interested or not, your responses are the admission of defeat...you cant debate against these points... so you dont even try...

that still doesn't make reality go away...

plugging your ears and singing "la lalalalalalalala!!!" doesn't make other sounds stop...

closing your eyes doesn't make the world disappear...

it is all still there...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

interested or not, your responses are the admission of defeat...you cant debate against these points... so you dont even try...

You simply do not get it.

If it was another thread addressing your specific concerns I might.

The OP's concern was religious based IMO - - not political.

DONE - - - I will not be responding to this again.

edit on 27-9-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
well you cannot separate religion and politics because they are one in the same, religion is politics...religions all operate under the same rules as politics...the one goes with the other and both support each other...and both are also a means of control...

in the OP's post she is living under the assumption that her god is a dictator on a throne, controlling everything, decreeing laws and punishing those who disobey...so her religion is political, highly...

and your religion is politics...

religion is bondage...the root word comes from the latin "religare" which means to bind, to tie up, to enslave, to shackle, to lock up...

so you see even those are interconnected...the two cannot be separated no matter how much we try to lie to ourselves and claim they should be separate...

but just as those are interconnected at the most basic of levels, every human on the planet, is interconnected with one another, so whatever puts anyone at a disadvantage also puts the other at a disadvantage...we just dont realize it...or we pretend and lie to ourselves that we are immune...

all i am trying to say is we cannot make decisions without thinking about the ripples they will effect in the world around us...no matter if they seem good or bad...

politics and religion both worked to create these multitudes of inequalities, religion did the bulk of the work and politics capitalized off of it...so you see both are using people to stick their feet into the doors of our lives and nose around where they have no business...

again, this is very relevant, and reply or not, you cannot ignore it...you cannot separate yourself from it, because eventually it will effect you one way or another...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well...as this thread comes to an end....I would just add that any reasonable person would agree all people should have equal rights under the "law"...whatever that means anymore.

I personally am not sure I would ever let the government into my love life ever again....cause I can tell you that "contract" is a "bitch" to get out of...to this day I have his stupid last name, mostly for our child...but also it's a total nightmare to change your name back again....

Be careful what you wish for....I do believe in God.....and with any luck he will forgive me for all the stupid decisions I have made.....I do believe there is an "agenda" at work....and I will try as hard as I can to speak the truth as I see it......Wish you all everything good.....

edit on 28-9-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

well, im not sure what you mean by agenda, but if you mean there is an agenda that particular special interests have, then im not sure that really is the case...

it would appear to be, since many of these special interest groups tend to be catered to, but even if they say they have an agenda, or claim to be in control of that agenda, often they are not, and are simply political pawns being used to cause a dividing line...

people are too often manipulated, no matter what their beliefs, or leanings are, and made to think they are somehow special, by those in power...

but not all people who fall in these categories have an agenda, or are even really aware of one...most people just want to be left alone and live happy lives...

even the activists are not really aware of everything that goes on...

and some dont care as long as they are led to believe they are getting what they want...

i know of a gay couple, who hate gay people...which i think is funny, but they dont really hate them, they just dislike how "sexually generous" they are, and how flamboyant, and over dramatic other gay people are...they dont try to convert anyone, they keep to themselves, and they do not believe in public display of affection...they are very proper...but some of the best people i know...genuine...both of their families now support them, even though initially the families were worried or even condemned them...

these are two people i think are deserving of legal marriage, if it ever does come in some form...

but some just want to stir things up, and every victory for them is a way to insult others...which doesnt have anything to do with equality, but just plain ignorance and spite...

anyway, not everyone is a part of this agenda...even some gay people are not...

but the agends im very aware of is the one that the powerful use to control others...we see it in every major industry, especially entertainment and government...what i mean is that men in power, or even sometimes women in power, will solicit sexual favors from someone of the same sex in order to see if they can me molded...if the person being solicited is willing to whore themselves out at any cost, then they are worthy of promotions, perks, and privileges...if not, then they are hounded and even killed for stumbling into the wrong information...

but that is someone using homosexuality as a tool of control...and not to be equated with two people who are committed to one another, no matter what their gender...

but using that as a tool of control is definitely an agenda, and its wrong...

edit on 29-9-2012 by studythem1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by Biliverdin

Genesis 16

And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.

bible.cc...

Wife = MARRIED

edit on 27-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

Deuteronomy 22

28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

Daughter = 50 shekels.

Call your state representative--we've obviously got it wrong here. Religion is always right.

top topics

<< 67  68  69   >>

join