It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage. I am honestly confused

page: 58
<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You know it is so strange how differently people can interupt information....growing up basically agnostic, no formal religion...my folks are ex Catholics I guess you could say...my journey has lead me to a completely different understanding of "God" I don't think a higher being can be de-bunked...your obviously a very smart woman, and I'd like to think I'm reasonably intellegent...but yet we have a completely different understanding of things....

It's not fair to deny Gay people "rights" that are allowed for any other citizen...and I will come back to what I believe is the bigger issue here...We are all being SCREWED, and not in a good way, by ruthless monsters that would be happy to piss on all our graves.......

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by quietlearner

If a "Christian" church "marries" a Gay couple. It is not a Christian church.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
But yet we have a completely different understanding of things....

Maybe not.

We'll meet again. More conversation may make things more clear.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Annee,

I have had dialog with many gay/lesbian folks that have become atheists. Even a quick search on google for "gay atheist" with the quotes, will bring up over 40 thousand hits. So its not an uncommon occurrence.

However my comment was that it is sad that a person loses a spiritual aspect of their lives as part of the coming out process. There are of course many people that don't, others that become even more spiritually minded. YMMV. In my viewpoint denying the spiritual aspects of life is just as sad as loosing any ability, like the ability to taste food. You can have a wonderful life without it, but it would make mealtime a lot less interesting.

If you are happy being a non-believer, then I'm happy for you, but it still will be mixed with a bit of sadness for you too.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AntigravityField
reply to post by Annee

Annee,

I have had dialog with many gay/lesbian folks that have become atheists. Even a quick search on google for "gay atheist" with the quotes, will bring up over 40 thousand hits. So its not an uncommon occurrence.

Anyone can Google what they're looking for.

But how do you meet in real life many gay/lesbian atheists?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
edit: wrong thread.
edit on 2-8-2012 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by murphy22

There are some Christians who truly try to follow the teachings of Christ. Jesus never condemned homosexuality, so some Christians believe that Jesus would bless a union between two people who were committed to each other, and wanted a home and family together in a loving environment.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

It may not be YOUR idea of Christian, but YOUR idea isn't what determines Christianity, Christ does that and you are NOT Christ.

If Christ came back today, the fundamentalist evangelicals would probably want him arrested and given the death penalty. They have no clue of who Christ really is or what he preached, they only know hatred and nothing more.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

There are some Christians who truly try to follow the teachings of Christ. Jesus never condemned homosexuality, so some Christians believe that Jesus would bless a union between two people who were committed to each other, and wanted a home and family together in a loving environment.

There are actually some sources that say he was present at such a union and did bless it. Saint Bacchus
and Sergius
en.wikipedia.org...

of course the fundamentalist evangelicals will deny that with all they have

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
So pretty much your whole basis that marriage between two humans of the same sex is wrong is based on a book claiming a god exist's.

I can prove homosexuals exist and are real.
There is no way in a million years or a trillion to prove a god exists ..otherwise it would have been ready.

Because your bible says it wrong ..Would it be ok if they make a church of the gay?
Where god eccept all people?

Just saying

The whole argument every time is bible this bible that.

Separation of church and state!!!!
That includes bias based on your sexual preference based on a book.
wouldn't it?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueenOfDenile
So pretty much your whole basis that marriage between two humans of the same sex is wrong is based on a book claiming a god exist's.

I can prove homosexuals exist and are real.
There is no way in a million years or a trillion to prove a god exists ..otherwise it would have been ready.

Because your bible says it wrong ..Would it be ok if they make a church of the gay?
Where god eccept all people?

They already have several. One is the Metropolitan Community Church. I've visited them before with gay friends and they're actually very nice.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
sorry wrong thread....
edit on 5-8-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

You are posting all this with one major flaw.

Marriage in many forms was around LONG before religion. Religion just took it over to keep the sheep in order.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
Marriage is a religious institution.

I understand that, to you, marriage has a religious meaning. I support your freedom of religion, and therefore support your choice that your marriage be a religious institution.

My husband and I don't have religion as part of our lives. Our marriage is not religious in the least, We were not married "before God" or anything like that. There were no religious words spoken when we got married. Religion isn't a required component of marriage. It's an option.

You and I do have one thing in common, however. To be legally married, we have to get a marriage license from the state and sign the legal contract with the state. God and religion are an "addition" to the legal, state contract.

So, your premise that marriage MUST be a religious institution is false. Marriage is a state contract. Some people add a religious component and others do not. If people want religion as part of their marriage, it's none of my business. If they don't, it's none of yours.
It's mind-boggling how easily people just accept things. Normally, you need a license to get permission to do something. I've yet to understand why would I need permission via a license to get married, or to fish and hunt for food. Why should you need permission to do these things? You have a right to these things without a ''state contract''. I like the old school way of getting married...we gather solemnly in front of hers, and my family and friends, exchange our rings, and vows, and in our eyes, and everybody that matters, we're married. Screw the legalities. That's why there are wills and power of attorney clauses. That means less money going towards state intrusion into private affairs. The state has no say in my personal relationships. We're man and wife without state permission.
edit on 4-9-2012 by poloblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by poloblack
It's mind-boggling how easily people just accept things. Normally, you need a license to get permission to do something. I've yet to understand why would I need permission via a license to get married, or to fish and hunt for food.

That is a completely different discussion then Equal Rights for all consenting adults to Legally marry.

As far as fishing/hunting licenses - - - they are the #1 source of funding for wildlife conservation. How much do you donate voluntarily out of pocket?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan

You are posting all this with one major flaw.

Marriage in many forms was around LONG before religion. Religion just took it over to keep the sheep in order.

When the Catholic church discovered they could make money issuing Marriage Licenses - - they adopted the practice.

It has nothing to do with religion.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

good to see you Annee.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

It's mind-boggling how easily people just accept things. Normally, you need a license to get permission to do something. I've yet to understand why would I need permission via a license to get married, or to fish and hunt for food.

That is a completely different discussion then Equal Rights for all consenting adults to Legally marry.

As far as fishing/hunting licenses - - - they are the #1 source of funding for wildlife conservation. How much do you donate voluntarily out of pocket?
I can respect your post, but it doesn't matter what I donate to ''wildlife conservation''. And I respectfully disagree with your funding statistics. I still stand firm in my belief that I shouldn't have to ask permission to hunt FOR FOOD, or fish. OR get married...to stay on topic OP.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

I agree with you there. There was a man in Kansas a years ago who was arrested (and charged) for poaching when he did not have money to feed his family so decided to hunt for a deer instead of going on welfare!

When it hit the papers everyone pitched in to help the man, which was very nice, people donated their deer that year, as well as money for legal fees for the man.

the whole incident was very sad.

To me, the issue of gay marriage is outside of the spectrum of licensing, since marriage is a religious institution not a state institution. (or at least it should be!)

We have discussed what you brought up in this thread many times btw. Good points and ones I agree with.

edit on 4-9-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I can respect your post, but it doesn't matter what I donate to ''wildlife conservation''. And I respectfully disagree with your funding statistics. I still stand firm in my belief that I shouldn't have to ask permission to hunt FOR FOOD, or fish. OR get married...to stay on topic OP.

Odd response.

Whether I donate out of pocket has no bearing - - - I support Licensing. I would never hunt or fish without tags. They have a purpose.

Native Americans do not have to have permission or licenses to hunt for food or fish.

Equal Rights for all consenting adults to marry - - is about how laws stand right now. Which is a Government License.

The argument of a license is a different subject.

top topics

<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join