It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage. I am honestly confused

page: 57
<< 54  55  56    58  59  60 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
opps
edit on 30-7-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I have a cousin that acts gay in public so the women will flock around him.... he gets a lot of dates that way

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

So women like a guy who pretends to be something he's not just to get his way?

If a woman acted like that around me, I would begin to suspect her every motive. You never know who the "real" one is. The whole relationship could be based on a lie. Maybe they're even using you to get someone else.

So confusing...and so sickening.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Relationship?

I don't think that particular fella is after marriage,,, unless it's SERIOUSLY short-term marriage!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Relationship?

I don't think that particular fella is after marriage,,, unless it's SERIOUSLY short-term marriage!

yeah, he's definitely not relationship material!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Gay man here. Frankly, I don't want anything to do with any religion, I'm atheist, however, because of the laws as they stand, I am unable to share a lot of different benefits with my significant other. And if I know my laws correctly, there ought to be a separation of church and state. This means to me, that either, if your religious laws are to apply (one man, one woman), then legal marriage ought to be done away with completely. This identifies it as a religious institution that has no place in the American legal system. Or, if we are to identify it as a legal institution, then it should be well within my right to go up to my local court house and tie the knot paper wise and maybe have my own marriage ceremony in my back yard among close friends and relatives. And yeah, I do know a few religious gay folks out there and there are some denominations of Christianity that accept gay marriage, I don't get it but whatever.

What really irritates me is that Christians pick and choose the rules they wish to apply. You know, the same chapter that the laws against homosexuality also goes into laws against mixed fabric, planting two or more different crops side by side, laying with a woman while she's on her period, never cutting your beard (and hair I think) as well as any other form of body modification. If Christians are so ready to rally against gay marriage, why aren't they waving the banners for these other absurd bible laws? Why aren't they pushing for the death penalty for sex outside of marriage? Why aren't they exiling women with pierced ears? From what I'm told and understand from my bible study, it's because the arrival of Christ meant a new pact was created and that the old world rules no longer apply. So what this comes down to from my point of view is simply one of two things (more likely a mix of the two); outright bigotry and hate or just total hypocrisy with a dose of blind ignorance.

I'll close this out with my favorite bible verse. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxyramirez
Gay man here. Frankly, I don't want anything to do with any religion, I'm atheist, however, because of the laws as they stand, I am unable to share a lot of different benefits with my significant other. And if I know my laws correctly, there ought to be a separation of church and state. This means to me, that either, if your religious laws are to apply (one man, one woman), then legal marriage ought to be done away with completely. This identifies it as a religious institution that has no place in the American legal system. Or, if we are to identify it as a legal institution, then it should be well within my right to go up to my local court house and tie the knot paper wise and maybe have my own marriage ceremony in my back yard among close friends and relatives. And yeah, I do know a few religious gay folks out there and there are some denominations of Christianity that accept gay marriage, I don't get it but whatever.

What really irritates me is that Christians pick and choose the rules they wish to apply. You know, the same chapter that the laws against homosexuality also goes into laws against mixed fabric, planting two or more different crops side by side, laying with a woman while she's on her period, never cutting your beard (and hair I think) as well as any other form of body modification. If Christians are so ready to rally against gay marriage, why aren't they waving the banners for these other absurd bible laws? Why aren't they pushing for the death penalty for sex outside of marriage? Why aren't they exiling women with pierced ears? From what I'm told and understand from my bible study, it's because the arrival of Christ meant a new pact was created and that the old world rules no longer apply. So what this comes down to from my point of view is simply one of two things (more likely a mix of the two); outright bigotry and hate or just total hypocrisy with a dose of blind ignorance.

I'll close this out with my favorite bible verse. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5

I think all the gay couples should withold paying taxes until they're treated equally under the law whether it be making gay marriage legal or dropping all the rights and priveleges associated with marriage. Either give equality or excuse them from paying for the people who take the rights and priveleges away from them.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by foxyramirez

I starred that post, because it embodies nearly exactly what I've been saying. It don't get much more star worthy than that.

I'd rather see civil marriage done away with for all, but at this stage in the game that's not bloody likely. Too many people are enamored of what they perceive as benefits to a civil marriage. If that's what they're after, they should be able to go for it, gay or straight. In neither case does it affect me - whether a couple demands legal recognition for THEIR marriage has no bearing on MY relationships, or how I conduct them at all, regardless of their sexual orientation.

If a gay marriage is detrimental to me, then a straight marriage would be no less so. BOTH are essentially demands for State recognition of what in my mind is an essentially private matter, but NEITHER affects how I run my own little life, so live and let live.

I believe that at this point, if one is recognized legally, then so should the other, but there ought to be no legal restrictions on just setting up house and living as you will without benefit of approval from the law, again regardless of orientation. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

If people prefer a religious marriage, that's between them and their God, and usually a clergyman who may or may not perform the ceremony according to his take on things. There are no civil benefits to a strictly religious marriage, nor should there be, for either gay or straight. I neither need nor want the legal benefits, and as long as the law doesn't confer legal restrictions, either, I'm good to go. If there are gay couples out there of a like mind, more power to them. I don't care if they get married in the sight of God, Allah, Buddha, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or the Great Guard Rail - according to the First Amendment, the law has no say in it at all, either yeah or nay. That's, as I said, between the couple involved and their God and possibly clergy.

I don't need a battalion of lawyers OR a battalion of priests to tell me how to conduct my religious affairs or my marital ones.

Socially, there are still plenty of places where people like me - straight and without need of legal marriage - are no less socially discriminated against than gay couples are. I don't really care about that on my part. If they don't approve, they don't have to visit me or break bread with me. They can stay the hell away from me and mine, and I'm just as happy that they do. If a gay couple is willing to put up with the same crap I do in that regard, I've no quarrel with them, either.

There is still a slight legal distinction even there that really ought to be done away with. Where I live, if I "shack up" heterosexually for a period of seven years, the law tries to force a "common law marriage" classification on me. that has NONE of the legal perks, but ALL of the legal drawbacks. I think if they are going to try to force that on ME, it ought to be extended to gays as well, but that the best case scenario is for the law to stay out of both, and leave us alone. For my part, I just reject the legal classification, then ignore it after that rejection. Since I didn't ask for it, I'll be damned if I abide by it.

That's one of the reasons I can't comprehend the gay push FOR legal marriage - I'm pushing about as hard AGAINST it for myself, and can't quite figure out what the draw is for those who think they want one. So you see, my situation is not all that different from the gays, except in particulars. There isn't really much in the way of legal or social distinctions between the two. Some in my own family reject my arrangement, so that part of my family can just stay the hell away from me, too. I won't inflict myself on them, and they'd damned well better not inflict themselves on me.

We've all got our problems to overcome.

edit on 2012/7/31 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biliverdin
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Duh! Because that was the context

ETA...and actually, you clearly missed definition 4...

And how about the etymology, just for good measure...

Origin:
1250–1300; Middle English < Anglo-French bastard, Medieval Latin bastardus (from 11th century), perhaps < Germanic (Ingvaeonic) *bāst-, presumed variant of *bōst- marriage + Old French -ard -ard, taken as signifying the offspring of a polygynous marriage to a woman of lower status, a pagan tradition not sanctioned by the church; compare Old Frisian bost marriage < Germanic *bandstu-, a noun derivative of Indo-European *bhendh- bind; the traditional explanation of Old French bastard as derivative of fils de bast “child of a packsaddle” is doubtful on chronological and geographical grounds

edit on 29-7-2012 by Biliverdin because: (no reason given)

So that's what happened to the illegitimate son of Mussolini! Maybe Mussolinio did have a common marriage to the other woman and consequently when he became powerful politically it became a necessity to denounce both of them.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by foxyramirez

Years ago I married a Pastor's daughter who years later came out of the closet. She was forced to follow a heterosexual lifestyle in order to not disappoint her parents. She had planned on waiting till they died before she came out but she fell in love and through some unusual circumstances told her parents the truth. It was a very painful experience for me and her entire family. I do have to say though that if gay marriage was as acceptable as normal marriage, then the circumstances that led to the false marriage that I found myself in would have been far less likely to have occurred. So that would be one positive to come out of legalized gay marriage.

Another positive would be that more children would be adopted. It would be far better for a child to be raised in the household of two committed gay adults that love and care for each other and for their adopted children then for them to be raised in a abusive home or an orphanage. So that would be a second positive for gay marriage.

FoxyRameriez, the main thing that saddened me by your post was your move to atheism after an obvious stint in some kind of a Christian organized group. This seems to be a common occurrence for gays that are brought up in certain organized religions. If anything ATS should demonstrate it is that something beyond normal is going on to to many people to just dismiss. So to me going all the way to atheist is a great way to miss all the weird, wonderful things that this life has to offer. But we all have to find our own path, I wish you, and others in a similar position, well on your journey.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Anyone who has a religion that teaches them to hate another person because that person loves someone else should re-evaluate their religion.

If your religion is based in fear instead of love, it's not a religion, it's a theological dictatorship and that's not a God you're worshipping, it's despot. God is not a tyrant regardless of what fundamentalist evangelicals try to make him.

Homosexuals are homosexual from birth. Why would God create something he hates?

If I'm going to hate someone, it'll be someone who hurts others, who brings misery, anger, frustration, violence and discord into the world, not someone who wants to share their lives together and help those around them. Homosexuals are born homosexuals, it takes a choice to become a hate filled bigot.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by AntigravityField
. . . . the main thing that saddened me by your post was your move to atheism after an obvious stint in some kind of a Christian organized group. This seems to be a common occurrence for gays that are brought up in certain organized religions.

Your post was great up until this part.

I am Atheist - - but every gay person I've personally met was not. Where do you come up with its a common occurrence? Do you have any real data on that?

Atheism is NOT anti-god. Lack of belief is NOT anti-anything - - its simply non-belief.

I am not gay - - but was raised Christian. My search for real factual information made it clear that fact and myth did not match up. In other words my search for God - - - led me to Atheism.

I appreciate the support for the LGBTQ community. But throwing in the negative on Atheism - - is like those who close their minds to fully understanding LGBTQ.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
If I'm going to hate someone, it'll be someone who hurts others, who brings misery, anger, frustration, violence and discord into the world, not someone who wants to share their lives together and help those around them. Homosexuals are born homosexuals, it takes a choice to become a hate filled bigot.

Choice and education. Children are born accepting of difference, they may be fascinated by it, but they don't judge it. That has to be taught.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

reply to post by nenothtu

I want everyone to know I am well, and I will be very well, just not here for a while. I will come online a little here and there as I am able, but for a while it wont be much at all.

I thank everyone for their kindness toward me, and for wonderful friendships and discussions.

I do not have the time right at the moment to post in the appropriate place, But I am asking for Neno to finish my debate with Druid. I will be unable....Forgive me for that.

Thanks Neno, and I love you

Keep me in your prayers everyone please, and I will be keeping you all in mine. God willing.

Peace
edit on 1-8-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB

reply to post by nenothtu

I want everyone to know I am well, and I will be very well, just not here for a while. I will come online a little here and there as I am able, but for a while it wont be much at all.

I thank everyone for their kindness toward me, and for wonderful friendships and discussions.

I do not have the time right at the moment to post in the appropriate place, But I am asking for Neno to finish my debate with Druid. I will be unable....Forgive me for that.

Thanks Neno, and I love you

Keep me in your prayers everyone please, and I will be keeping you all in mine. God willing.

Peace
edit on 1-8-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

Hope you are ok and will be praying for you!!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Marriage is not a religion institution and being gay does not make a person automatically anti-religion or put them at odds with religion. Being anti-gay has absolutely nothing to do with believing in God.

Marriage has never and will never be a strictly religious term. Sorry to break to those who keep pushing that lie, but you cannot continue to hold marriage hostage out of selfishness and greed.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Notice how avowed atheists marry every day and there are NO stories, no backlash, no drama, no threads started about that on forum after forum on the web.

If people would be honest and admit this has zilch to do with religion and everything to do with a heterosexuality vs homosexuality mentality some individuals have for whatever reason, then a real discussion could potentially take place regarding this subject.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Be well Princess.......it's strange how much you can grow to care about a person you never have or probably will never meet.....♥

top topics

<< 54  55  56    58  59  60 >>

join