It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you resort to looting in a SHTF scenario.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I would expect hover drones freed hmm about 6 ft dia space floating around with cams and weapons instructing curfew times and times to exit homes.

No normal internet but internet exist its just controlled and made as a tell tell all as to how to live

NO more freedom of speach

No freedom to have children or mate

no freedom

This is after false invasion or war/disease outbreak.

Not to far afterwards MANN fruits types may be given during a cleans process and cutting out of cetain hideouts ( I PERSONALLY FEEL ITS WRONG TO ENTER A UNDERGROUND FACILITY W/ KNOWLEDGE THAT CHILDREN ARE STILL OUT THERE - SEEMS THERES A KARMA RELATED)

my 2 cents

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I am person B; I'd do okay for a year or perhaps more. At that point, I'd have no problem gleaning from abandoned homes or buildings. I don't think of that as looting or scavenging, just gleaning.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
If I was thrown into a situation as you have described, I would do whatever necessary to provide for my family. It wouldn't blacken my soul to hurt another who killed to get what they wanted out of ruthlessness, although if I knew the person to be amiable I would move on to another who wasn't. I would resort to looting, theft of any kind. When it comes to my children starving I would do what I must for them to survive

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Since the most likely SHTF scenarios result from a major disaster, I'm not sure anyone knows what they would or wouldn't bring themselves to do. As far as I'm concerned, you could be the best prepared person for a natural catastrophe, but lose it all during said catastrophe. I don't think most of us have any clue how we would react in the moment.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
To those who so quickly commented "YES"!

Assuming that most on this forum are not of a criminal mind, keep in mind, there will be many hardened criminals, drug dealers and the likes out there that will be in the same boat you are in. They are seasoned professionals (you are not) that have no regard for you or others.

It is wiser to prepare & plan ahead for such a scenario rather than to simply assume you would take from Billy next door who has prepared for himself and his family? Billy may know how to fish, grow a garden and hunt for food. Your wife may be a good cook and you may be good at fixing things.

If SHTF, people with different talents need to come to together to help one another and protect each other from the real criminals.

As the Indians taught the Pilgrims how and when to plant corn, how to grow a garden, how to catch fish and so the story goes.

Think about it like this before you begin looting from the guy next door.

Billy may be an Indian.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kituwa
As the Indians taught the Pilgrims how and when to plant corn, how to grow a garden, how to catch fish and so the story goes.

Think about it like this before you begin looting from the guy next door.

Billy may be an Indian.

Then, once you've learned everything you can from Billy and his wife, you tell them they can live on the reservation or start handing out the small pox blankets! Sorry, had to go there :-)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This is quite telling. Looting is not far from the minds of many here, though granted, most recognize some boundaries. Many of the "family" folk flat out admit that when it comes to their family there ain't no boundaries. This leads me to believe that from day one of the scenario pa is already sizing-up who they plan to have support them through the hard times ahead, that somehow their having a family provides a sense of entitlement and built-in justification for whatever misdeed may be deemed appropriate. They may be already planning how to get to my beans, rice, and cans of spam before turning over their first rock looking for earthworms because they got "little ones" and mine are mostly grown-up.

I expect anyone here and reading this forum are already making better preparedness plans than most folk you will find around town. At least-wise they got firearms at the ready. I am sure, though, that there are a few with the same justifications that are not the least bit prepared. Even if it occurred to them they should be stocking supplies away they didn't do that because little Johnny needed an X-Box and those plug-in games get expensive. Those people with "families" may be the ones we got to watch out for when things look like they might get tough as they've got no bounds when it comes to protecting their herd.

Besides just making my own preparations to have a few essentials on-hand it looks like I better have a plan for de-moralizing the opposition when I see them taking notice of how we are getting by. Kinda glad I live across the border from most of you all who mostly never had to "rough it." Most folks down here have had to deal with adversities on a regular basis and kind of know what having good neighbors is all about, sharing, bartering, trading favors. Food is growing all around us, other than in our gardens, things that most of you folks would never think about eating.

My family is occupying three homes here on the same street - eight people living in three large homes that are built like fortresses. We've got over 6,000 gallons of water in our storage tanks. Just added up that we got nine bathrooms for eight people - hadn't thought about that before. Also got about 400 liters of LP gas and no real need for heating. And about Mexicans not allowed to have guns, not true, we're just generally not allowed to carry them on the streets. You guys about got that wall built along the border yet? We'd appreciate it if you snap it up some, OK?

Just kidding. Best of luck. Good bushcrafting skills!

edit on 26-7-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

And about Mexicans not allowed to have guns, not true, we're just generally not allowed to carry them on the streets. You guys about got that wall built along the border yet? We'd appreciate it if you snap it up some, OK?

Just kidding. Best of luck. Good bushcrafting skills!

See, I proposed an idea to get Mexico to build that wall about 2 years ago. An awful lot of our "illegal" immigrants are very hard-working folks, with great intentions for their future, but we have an awful lot of freeloaders and homeless people that are actually legal citizens. I proposed for every illegal alien we find working in a job, instead of deporting them, we give them a visa, and deport a homeless person or welfare recipient in their place. See, by doing so, we are raising the overall value of our population, and putting Mexico in the unteneble position of needing to build a wall to keep out the freeloaders!

More on this topic,
Remember to not waste your water in your toilets. Recycle the shower and sink water for a gray water system in the toilets, and then your 6000 gallons will last a LOT longer.

I agree with you completely on eating the grubs and things that are available immediately. Save your stash for those times when you have no other choices. Also, my family knows that in a SHTF scenario, we will immediately ration adults to 800 calories per day, but still give the children all they need to grow (but NO WASTING of food!). In your supplies, make sure you have a few morale boosters like cocoa. Use it sparingly, but have it when you need it, especially for the kids.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I dont need to resort to looting ... have everything I need along with the skill .. knowledge and experience to get everything I need from the jungle here... these days the only reason I make the trip downriver is either to visit my sons and grandson or to go assist in disaster area's ...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Get a water distiller and learn how to fish. Loot mother nature.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
i would stay out of the city and do a lot of fishing & hunting pick up fresh road kill & if i found any one with a gallon of gas or milk they would be in my crosshairs at 300 yards survival would be life

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
I'd do what I had to do to ensure the survival of my family. If that includes taking your # , let me say sorry in advance. Fortunately I'm pretty set up as far as preps.

I have no qualms with cannibalism either, though not likely to go there as long as my regular supplies hold out. Such contributions at that time I would gladly offer to my less fortunate neighbors. No apology necessary. My colonia would be glad to have you for dinner. Jajajaja. Glad you are well-stocked too.

I would taste AWFUL!!! Like Rabbit, all muscle & no fat!...lol

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kituwa
To those who so quickly commented "YES"!

Assuming that most on this forum are not of a criminal mind, keep in mind, there will be many hardened criminals, drug dealers and the likes out there that will be in the same boat you are in. They are seasoned professionals (you are not) that have no regard for you or others.

Really, Seasoned Professionals? They're people that couldn't hack it in the real world... You know who I don't see runnin n gunnin in tactical courses? Criminals & Drug Dealers. You know who I don't see in the gym? Criminals & Drug Dealers. Guess who you don't see on the mat rolling? Criminals & Drug Dealers.

I'd deal death to drug dealers in a half a hearbeat...Then I'd sell their meat to Erongaricuaro

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I find it appalling that most would resort to the destruction of community. The best chance of survival will be to those that band together and forge their own society. I live in the desert and resources are few. To those that have knowledge, there is supply. We learned from an early age how to survive in a land that provides little. By combining resources and pooling skills and ideas, we would get by just fine. If a band comes along that demands that we surrender our provisions, all I can say is "join us or perish"

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
What a silly question, would a survivalist look for any avenue to survive...
If there was a shtf situation, the majority of thos who are going to die would die off quick, all left are survivalists.
Yes, they will kill, cheat, steal, rape, Etc.
Nothing is out of bounds as long as they are breathing.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I would loot Twinkies. But not Snowballs. I don't like coconut. It's not the taste. It's the consistency.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Really, Seasoned Professionals? They're people that couldn't hack it in the real world... You know who I don't see runnin n gunnin in tactical courses? Criminals & Drug Dealers....

Drug dealers are a diverse bunch; but they have one thing in common: they so interested in making lots of money fast that they will risk everything for it.

In that sense, they are merely unconventional entrepreneurs. So they have about the same survival chances as they guys on the new york mercantile exchange. A little younger, a little more blow; probably about the same firepower, and a similar knowledge of survival skills. The brokers probably work out more, and eat more fiber.

Both groups will be focused on looting all the bling even as the lights go out and the water faucets dry up.

Without any more gas for their SUV's both groups cease to be an important social factor.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I agree completely. I think that it is very important to try to hold onto one's humanity, and people have an amazing way of coming together in the face of tragedy.

With that said, I would do whatever if takes to keep my child alive and well. Parents are ferocious when backed into a corner.

Edited to add: I would not be interested in looting anything but whatever might keep me and mine alive.
edit on 27-7-2012 by MojaveBurning because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

In that sense, they are merely unconventional entrepreneurs. So they have about the same survival chances as they guys on the new york mercantile exchange. A little younger, a little more blow; probably about the same firepower, and a similar knowledge of survival skills. The brokers probably work out more, and eat more fiber.

How many of the wall street crowd has seen a close friend bleed out at their feet, ran from the cops during a firefight, or fired a gun into an occupied car or home?

I think the drug dealers and criminals have a lot more experience "surviving" in the ways of a post-SHTF world than the bankers do, despite the fiber and beach muscle.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Realistically, I expect when the SHTF it won't be plain dirt-level survival - more likely to need community cooperation than brute skills. Americans are coming locked and loaded but I don't think that is the strategy that will be needed - could have repercussions if that is their plan. Helps to be prepared for whatever though, just expect things will work out better with cooperation. Best brush up on those skills too.

edit on 27-7-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join