It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Greek athlete sent home for racist remark

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

So what? Maybe she is right. There are probably more Africans in Greece than ever before in the history of mankind. Some may really love it, others believe that the 'old Greece' is disappearing. Each one is right. What bothers me is that everyone is officially ordered to like it or shut up. Why?
What if I don't want multiculturalism, what if I hate it. Is this reason enough to punish me?

Am I only allowed to think and say what fits in with the current agenda? [Mixing up people like mad, believeing that they will all get along?]
Throughout history social upset has been addressed with humour. From Jesters being allowed to insult their Kings to comedians nowadays talking about the governments shortfalls.

Do I think this woman was racist?
You could construe it as that if you really want to but you can't prove it. Did she say what many think in joke form?
Yes she did.
It is her opinion. She should be able to have it. Having done so in this PC obsessed world was obviously a 'faux pas' on her side and she has been punished, but I don't believe the punishment to fit the offense. At all.
It is almost as if Africans are somehow 'holier' than others. Why, are we not all the same?

I think it is racist to treat some people with kid gloves, whilst others are expected to take a 'joke' [Germans, Scottish, Irish, Aussies etc]. To me it implies that Africans are somehow weak, need protection and are altogether 'special'.If I was African, my pride would make me feel embarrassed being treated like this. But there are always some that will milk the system and cry 'racism', because you can claim compensation...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
It's all a political chess game. She holds a political viewpoint which differs from the status quo of her government and the last thing they want is to have a national hero (with the voice of the media) who could sway the opinions of thousands. On the other hand, they are aware that she's young and impressionable - which is pretty obvious by her political leanings and the fact that she would post that joke. Now the real question is...who do you think she heard the joke from? She barely has contact with anyone who is not another athlete or trainer and likely heard it from one of them. I'm betting that certain members of the Greek government had planted several plays out on her hoping that she would get caught up in at least one - which she did - so that they could boot her and shame their opposition.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Why do people continue to defend someone who has admitted their error?

" I would like to express my heartfelt apologies for the unfortunate and tasteless joke I published on my personal Twitter account. I am very sorry and ashamed for the negative responses I triggered, since I never wanted to offend anyone or to encroach human rights....My dream is connected to the Olympic Games and I could not possibly participate if I did not respect their values. Therefore, I could never believe in discrimination between human beings and races.

The woman has admitted she was wrong to make the comments that she did.

Yet, some other people are still trying to defend racisim when she now has seen the errors of her ways.

Sad.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum

" I would like to express my heartfelt apologies for the unfortunate and tasteless joke I published on my personal Twitter account. I am very sorry and ashamed for the negative responses I triggered, since I never wanted to offend anyone or to encroach human rights....My dream is connected to the Olympic Games and I could not possibly participate if I did not respect their values. Therefore, I could never believe in discrimination between human beings and races.

Yet, some other people are still trying to defend racisim when she now has seen the errors of her ways.

Sad.

"I never wanted to offend anyone or to enroach (on) human rights" "tasteless joke" People have different opinions as to what constitutes racism. As can be seen on this thread, a good majority did not consider that joke to be racist but mostly tasteless. Now, if everyone was to be fired for their tasteless jokes, none of us would be working.

By the way, let's finish her quote:
"My dream is connected to the Olympic Games and I could not possibly participate if I did not respect their values. Therefore, I could never believe in discrimination between human beings and races."

She also made the accurate claim:
"I don't know if they want to make an example out of me because of my profile, this is for others to judge, but what I believe is that they used their maximum disciplinary power on me for this," Papachristou said. "They went straight to the final stage in excluding me from the team, which was highly excessive."

In genral, she was denied any due process in the matter. So, my question to you is exactly how was her joke racist?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

And I'm sure she was in no way coached or encouraged on this statement.

Oh, and it's 'racism' ffs. It's repeated often enough in the thread to get it right.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

i always mess up spellings. so sorry it upsets you so much. says a lot about someone. especially when they have to resort to pointing out spelling mistakes.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

i always mess up spellings. so sorry it upsets you so much. says a lot about someone. especially when they have to resort to pointing out spelling mistakes.

It says almost exactly as much about the people that make them too.

edit on 27-7-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

reply to post by khimbar

It says almost exactly as much about the people that make them too.

edit on 27-7-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

Oh you mean they are proablably human?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

I don't think it was funny. I don't even think it was a good racist joke because there is no such thing as a good racist joke.

I'm glad the fake blond was sent home.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

She's probably heard a billion dumb blonde jokes and put it in the same category - oh, wait, it is in the same category.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mjfromga
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

She's probably heard a billion dumb blonde jokes and put it in the same category - oh, wait, it is in the same category.

If she had it would not have effected her personally because she's not a blond.

And yes, blond jokes are racist as well. Just like saying red heads have a temper.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

She made a racist comment. Its that simple.

No she didn't. It's that simple.

You need to learn what 'racism' is. And what bigotry is. And what a stupid bug joke is.
And you need to learn and understand the politics involved in all this.
She wasn't punished for making the stupid bug joke ... she was punished for her politics.
She leans right and the INTOLERANT left in her country didn't like it.

There was nothing racist about her bug joke. Not a darn thing. It's that simple.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Is this really that offensive? Not all africans are black. She basically said "with so many africans here the african (west nile) mosquitos will have homemade food (the africans they would generally be biting). It's a terrible joke and might even be made more terrible by weak english, but I don't see what's racist about it.

If she said "with so man americans here at least the american alligators will have homemade food" would that be racist?

Can someone else explain to me how it's racist? Also.. she's super fine, I am dissapointed I won't get to see her compete.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC
Originally posted by 11andrew34
Ok...looking into this now a bit more and there is significantly more to it than just the one joke, and also involved some recent support for some sketchy political party called Golden Dawn.

you could be on to something, shall we dig together?

You should seriously look into the Golden Dawn's banishing ritual for negative spirits and energy. The Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram has a banishing version that pretty much wards off and protects you from any imperfection or negative energy in the room. Trust me, I'm deep into occult philosophy and magick, and Thelema, I know that this ritual will work if done properly because I do it all the time to cleanse the room. It becomes a staple of any more advanced ritual in the higher tiers of the Golden Dawn, it is performed as a cleansing before other rituals and it can also be used to banish unwanted or obsessive thoughts. You can read a little bit about the history of the ritual here en.wikipedia.org... and the instructions on how to perform it properly are here www.sacred-texts.com...

from a thread I was reading today

here tis...

that is interesting, she didn't represent herself for them very well either.

Oh dear. Maybe somebody has already pointed this out, but not THAT "Golden Dawn." There is more than one.

The Greek one is a fringe political party that likes stuff like nationalism, 'Greece for Greeks,' and maybe some Neo-Nazi connections and such so that in cases such as this there is a rather thin amount of trust to work with for making jokes.

The "Golden Dawn" you're linking to is a very different topic related to keywords like Aleister Crowley, sex magic, satanism, thelema, and such. Crowley was British and his 'Golden Dawn' is all over the world now. So uh how to explain it all in just a few sentences so you can get a handle on who is who; ok well, it's just my 5-cent personal take on them, broad strokes and such but...

Crowley was kind of an interesting thinker for being such a gross, lumpy headed dirt-bag, but the 'satanism' associated with most of the real world's self identified 'Golden Dawn' types is more like dirty hippies and nerds playing live action Dungeons and Dragons, going to Renaissance fairs, and having gross nerd-hippie "magical" group sex. I mean who really knows, maybe there is something to it; I suppose it probably would take some magic to get you invited to orgies looking like Crowley.

So anyways, oddly enough...you're disparaging the nerdy hippie group sex satanists by confusing them with the Greek nascent neo-nazis bwahahaha!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Didn't she know the only group you can talk bad about is white christian males? Everyone knows that. What kind of dumb broad is she? Ooops, so sall ee.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join