It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Greek athlete sent home for racist remark

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

She should not be banned but required to make a public apology. I do wonder what if the an African person said "Hey good thing the greeks are here, more yogurt for the greeks" kinda of comment.

It's all PC propaganda. Let em compete...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXX777
reply to post by Jaellma

Two things here....

1.) I saw this earlier and thought that her comment is not one bit racist. It is a joke. A very funny joke. The Liberals are crying racist because she is white.

2.) Photoshop Friday is definitely going to take advantage of her photo if ya know what I mean.

edit on 26-7-2012 by XXX777 because: added tails up photo

The Liberals are crying racist because she is white.

Exactly this. You've hit the nail on the spot. I could give you a million stars if I could. If it was a non-white person who said it, the liberals would say it's just a joke. According to liberals, and other people, racism only exists when white people say something.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
They were warned to watch what they say beforehand...

That being said, I find this idiotic. I can not even get across how sick I am of the PC BS that seems to have spread throughout the universe like the plague. Give me a break. The girl's dream is ruined because of a joke. That is ridiculous IMO.

Everybody needs to put on their big girl/boy panties and buck up or get out of the truck.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Simply the politically correct thing to do, probably at the insistence of her management.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Am am not familiar with her extreme right wing leanings, but if this is the case then this gives me pause to rethink my position. Thank you for the info, I'll take a more than cursory look into this subject this evening.

AI reversal on my part may be shortly forthcoming.

edit on 7/26/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mjfromga

These examples describe how I was thinking about the situation. I will dig deeper before jumping to any more reactionary conclusions though, since I just read of her alleged right wing leanings and the like.

edit on 7/26/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Lol, i dont know what to make of this.

She was stupid for making that remark but i dont think she should have been ejected from the games. Perhaps fined? Though that comment is really offensive :/

Good find OP! I also read this morning NK walked out of a football match because a SK flag got shown.
Can this ruddy country do anything right?

Jokers of the world.

I hate racism, I simply can't see this remark as racist.

I also can't understand why we can no longer make remarks to friends even in a joke or someway referring to someones race without it being a bad thing.
If someone is African...they are..if they are Mexican they are ...if they are European they are...it is not wrong to include a race in a comment or a joke. we are all over sensitive!

I learned that Europeans call redheads "Gingers" supposed to be derogatory...doesn't bother me a bit even though my hair is red. Can even laugh at their Ginger jokes...sometimes very funny!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by XXX777

I highly doubt that mosquitos were upset by the joke. Just the crazy PC crowd.

Yeah, and I wonder if it really was racist? She made the connection between two things. It would be like saying: With all the people from France in Greece, at least our restaurants will sell a lot of French Fries.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
Its amazing how many people will deny blatant racisim because it was uttered by a pretty girl.

Anyway, all those folks that support this racism are in good company. You are not the only folk who think this behaviour is acceptable;

2012 Olympics

Greece's far-right Golden Dawn party condemns the withdrawal of Greek athlete from the London Olympics for an anti-African tweet - @Reuters

www.breakingnews.com...

You must not watch any comedy at all. Why do we have to start throwing rights/lefts and parties into everything?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Because she didnt want to be in London for the olympic
best way to quit is to make such remark

did she sudenly realise that the london olympic have illuminati all over it

she could have also say she was injured or something ..
no need to be rude

Or she could be a young person under high stress making a joke on her personal twitter to friends to relieve stress and laugh a bit.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by khimbar

I’m inferring no such thing. I as being polite when I said that it “implied” it. There is no other way to take the statement “with so many” other then to mean that you feel there “are too many”.

Don’t have the wool pulled over your eyes because she's pretty. She meant that in a racist way, and she got appropriately punished for it.
edit on 7/26/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

Wow I sure can't see that.
There are so many horses on my ranch we never get to ride them...meaning to many?

If you say to many you mean to many....

Also if it is in a joke...I can say there are so many Mexicans in Southern Ca that restaurants all serve Tortillas with breakfast instead of toast.

Doesn't mean I think there are to many!
LOVE Mexican food!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by khimbar

I’
Don’t have the wool pulled over your eyes because she's pretty. She meant that in a racist way, and she got appropriately punished for it.
edit on 7/26/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

Could be .....But then again we don't know her so WHY decide just because...that she meant it in a racist way?
Wouldn't we really have to know the girl to know that?
A lot of judgement...for a one liner.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaryStillToe

Originally posted by Jaellma

“With so many Africans in Greece … at least the West Nile mosquitos will eat homemade food!!!,” Papachristou wrote.

As an American, I didn't see the comment as racist or offensive, at first glance. However, after really reading her comment and giving it some thought, I realized that it was offensive and bordering on racist for two reasons.

1. "With so many Africans in Greece....at least"

Take a moment and look at the phrase "at least". Things that precede "at least" are almost never positive, but usually something bad, negative or a shortcoming. An entire continent of people, regardless of their socioeconomic background, have no value in Greece save for being food to virus ridden mosquitos. I would say that's a racist statment, whether it was intentional or not, that's what she said.

2. "West Nile mosquitos"

Also, correct me, If i'm wrong, but there is no such thing as "west nile mosquito", per se. West Nile is a virus that can infect mosquitos, regardless of the mosquitos origin. So the whole "homemade food" punch line doesn't make much sense either.

I can see your point, BUT really do we have to analyze every thing we say or start to say all the time? In order to see your great points we have to analyze word by word a quick sentence sent off in a moment.

Do all of you realize the stress the athletes are under?

How many on here have typed a quick response and realize later it did not sound right, could be taken wrong, only to find it is to late to remove?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by defcon5

There is no other way to take the statement “with so many” other then to mean that you feel there “are too many”.

I disagree.

Many Americans have European ancestry. If there were a West Thames virus and the same joke were applied would it be OK?

We are far too touchy about race. Now she may very well be racist, but the joke wasn't and she shouldn't be barred from the Olympics because of it.

Did you really not get the mosquito jokes or were you being facetious?

Also her family and trainers and many others are punished as well.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaryStillToe

Originally posted by XXX777

How is it racist to tell a joke about mosquitos and Blacks?

If a Black person tells a joke about apple pie and Whites is that considered racist?

People bitten by mosquitos infected with West Nile can get very sick and even die. I suppose it's the kind of humor only a racist could appreciate.

Also, I've never heard the phrase "As White as Apple Pie" so I really don't follow your drift.

P.S. The confederates lost the war, black people are also American and they also are known for making and eating apple pie.

No the Joke is All Americans Are Fat...From eating the apple pie....
But again that would include all races of Americans.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
reply to post by FlyersFan

You really should educate yourself on who this woman is before you start defending her.

She reposted a tweet by Ilias Kasidiaris criticising the stance on immigration of the prime minister, Antonis Samaras.She deleted this message.

Kasidiaris is a politician with the Golden Dawn party. This is the man who slapped a female politician on live televison.

She also tweeted Kasidiaris to wish him well on his patron saints day. She deleted this message later.

I think from this information it is very clear what kind of person she is.

She is an athlete we are not needing to know her political associations. we don't need to dissect a young woman for commenting a one line on a twitter account.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
There are two parties here, the ones believing its a racist remark, and the ones believing its just a joke.

Having read it a couple of times now, I would have to say I do find it racist. It has nothing to do with mosquitos, as some on here would like to believe.

It is clearly a nasty comment directly towards black africans.

Not too long ago a local model also got in big trouble for making a racist comment on her twitter page. A model for FHM.

Article

Public figures, like sport stars, or models, who represent their countries are expected to act a certain way. If a "joke" is borderline, don't say it at all. Because of their stance in society it will be analyzed and although somebody else might have gotten away with saying what this athlete said, she certainly won't.

vvv

Her offending message – which was referring to reports of mosquitoes carrying the West Nile virus in her home country – read: ‘With so many Africans in Greece, at least the West Nile mosquitoes will eat home made food!’

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... itterlympics.html#ixzz21mggzW3P

It reminds me of DID ROMNEY'S WIFE SAY YOU PEOPLE!!

edit on 26-7-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Well, I'm from Canada and if I was there and someone said that a Canadian Mosquito (assuming there was one over there) could have a home snack on me would it be racist?

No. It would be funny.

But because he's black, it's racist?

The decision made it a racist issue and not the comment.

Peace

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by sonnny1

Simply the politically correct thing to do, probably at the insistence of her management.

Her tweet was NOT Politically correct. Her statement after, wasn't even how she felt. Sad.

edit on 26-7-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
It is a good thing she was sent packing. Racists need to be taught a lesson.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join