It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Greek athlete sent home for racist remark

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Please explain how the joke is racist. Thank you.

She said there are so many Africans here, AT LEAST.... the mosquitoes ....blah blah.

"At least" implies that the mosquitoe's eating properly is the only good thing about the Africans being there.........

I don't think sending her home is an over reaction. The games are for the world. The best of the best. Her attitude is not one in keeping with that ideal.
edit on 7/26/2012 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You really should educate yourself on who this woman is before you start defending her.

She reposted a tweet by Ilias Kasidiaris criticising the stance on immigration of the prime minister, Antonis Samaras.She deleted this message.

Kasidiaris is a politician with the Golden Dawn party. This is the man who slapped a female politician on live televison.

She also tweeted Kasidiaris to wish him well on his patron saints day. She deleted this message later.

I think from this information it is very clear what kind of person she is.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

So?

She's allowed free speech isn't she, or is free speech only allowed for people when you approve what they say?

She's only allowed to support political parties you approve of?
edit on 26-7-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Its clear from her history what exactly she meant by her comments. Its clear that it was an attack against immigrants and she was trying to pass it off as a joke.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

That didn't answer the questions.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

She's allowed free speech. ANd just because she may (or may not) support a political party that you disagree with is NOT reason to believe she's a racist puke who deserves to be taken out of the olympics. Nothing that you posted could lead a reasonable person to believe that she's an evil racist goon.

She told a bug joke. It's no big deal. Unless, apparently, you disagree with her politics.
Then it suddenly is the end of the world and a horrid thing with her deserving extreme punishment.
(of getting kicked out of the olympics)

It was a bug joke that crapped on no one .... get over it.

edit on 7/26/2012 by FlyersFan because: spelling

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
There are two parties here, the ones believing its a racist remark, and the ones believing its just a joke.

Having read it a couple of times now, I would have to say I do find it racist. It has nothing to do with mosquitos, as some on here would like to believe.

It is clearly a nasty comment directly towards black africans.

Not too long ago a local model also got in big trouble for making a racist comment on her twitter page. A model for FHM.

Article

Public figures, like sport stars, or models, who represent their countries are expected to act a certain way. If a "joke" is borderline, don't say it at all. Because of their stance in society it will be analyzed and although somebody else might have gotten away with saying what this athlete said, she certainly won't.

vvv

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I agree with you that while she may not be an evil racist goon, she made an unfortunate and irresponsible statement. Her people responded with an even more presumptuous and ridiculous punishment by banishing her from the games.

At the most, she should have gotten a slap on the wrist and maybe a good cuss out from her Olympic agents. Instead, the Greeks are currently so politically and economically downtrodden they meekly succumbed to the ideological and political whims of human rights groups in a hummingbird heartbeat.

It's sad to see people bend over so quickly to bullies but I must put myself in their shoes for just one moment and imagine how sensitive the organizers are to any issues that may seem disparaging to individuals, groups, nations, cultures, etc. This Olympics is the "big stage" and there is so much at stake that these people would tend to overreact.

But yeah, even though I felt she was somewhat irresponsible in her actions, I thought the punishment was a tad harsh and overboard.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum

You really should educate yourself on who this woman is before you start defending her.

She reposted a tweet by Ilias Kasidiaris criticising the stance on immigration of the prime minister, Antonis Samaras.She deleted this message.

Kasidiaris is a politician with the Golden Dawn party. This is the man who slapped a female politician on live televison.

She also tweeted Kasidiaris to wish him well on his patron saints day. She deleted this message later.

I think from this information it is very clear what kind of person she is.

Yeah, she’s a Greek patriot that cares about her country and doesn’t want it overrun by 3rd world immigrants and converted into a social jungle.

Immigration is a weapon of the Illuminati to destroy nation states.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I also must add that each Olympic athlete is representing their respective country and each athlete is an AGENT of their country. This means they must uphold certain standards and ethics befitting of national agents and role models. In NO WAY must they ever disparage another country, culture or group.

The Olympics is all about national athletic representation and multiple nationalities participate. In addition, the Olympics are viewed by billions of people so each and every comment and action made against any group of people(s) must be scrutinized and sanitized in every way possible.

That being said, I still stand by my opinion of how they handled the situation.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

She's allowed free speech. ANd just because she may (or may not) support a political party that you disagree with is NOT reason to believe she's a racist puke who deserves to be taken out of the olympics. Nothing that you posted could lead a reasonable person to believe that she's an evil racist goon.

She told a bug joke. It's no big deal. Unless, apparently, you disagree with her politics.
Then it suddenly is the end of the world and a horrid thing with her deserving extreme punishment.

Thats just it, the liberal idealogs will pull the racist card as quick as they can to crucify someone who doesnt subscribe to their own style of thinking........

There was nothing racist in this, there are more Africans there in greece then usual........so what?

Bug joke..........so what?

Again, more political correctness bull crap, and public slander to make the sick hypocrits believe they are justified because they are "tolerant"

Once again proving that the ones CLAIMING to be "tolerant" and non bigoted, are indeed the most intolerant and bigoted of them all

I can guarantee you if for some reason there was a huge gathering in Africa for an event and there were tons of westerners, and some African Olympian made a joke about tigers eating white meat for a change, everyone would laugh and jab each other, and talk about how funny the African guy was ........

and then walk away and not touch it with a 10 foot pole.......
edit on 26-7-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar Is it racist though? Really?

no it isn't. it's overzealous political correctness. a nonsense.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Devil's advocate has to wonder why a bad joke got the white girl sent home, yet a serious racial/superiority charged comment didn't get the black guy excluded? That's two Greeks sent packing now, and the black guy stays. How is that right?

Jimmy Snyder

On January 16, 1988, he was fired by the CBS network (where he had been a regular on NFL Today since 1976) after commenting to WRC-TV reporter Ed Hotaling in a Washington, D.C. restaurant that African Americans were naturally superior athletes at least in part because they had been bred to produce stronger offspring during slavery:

edit on 26-7-2012 by AnarchysAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AnarchysAngel

What black guy made a comment? Not following you.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

That didn't answer the questions.

your question is off-topic. this thread is not about free speech.

its about a racist slur by a female greek athlete.

nothing to do with free speech

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

This isn't a racist comment...this applies to anyone who is from Africa...which last time I check there are a ton of white people in south Africa...so this comment applies to all races...its a demographic comment not a racial one.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Kastogere

It is ok to marginalize people until your the one being marginalized.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Again, this is not about free speech. Its about a racist slur.

Free speech does not excuse racisim.

Why are you using the term 'evil racist goon' ?

Nobody is calling her an 'evil racist goon'.

She made a racist comment. Its that simple.
Some people mistakenly think it may have been a joke. If you look at her support for a man from an extreme right wing party in Greece who assualted a female politican on live tv you can see that she is not a comedian but someone who believes there is too many immigrants in her country and thinks its ok to use her status a female athelete representing Greece to make racist comments publicly.

It doesn't matter now anyway because thankfully she wont be representing Greece at the Olympics. End of story.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Macdon

Yeah, she’s a Greek patriot that cares about her country and doesn’t want it overrun by 3rd world immigrants and converted into a social jungle.

Immigration is a weapon of the Illuminati to destroy nation states.

It interesting when the money starts to disappear people start to show their true nature.

Fear can make people very nasty.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Who said it was a racist comment???

Certainly I didn't.

If you read the story carefully and all of you need to pay attention, she was most likely banned due to her affiliation with the political extremist groups and her tweets with them and subsequent deletes...and NOT her so-called racist tweet.

Folks, this has more to do with her political affiliation than it has to do with her so-called "racist" comment.

Read between the line ATSers.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join