It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

light intensity indication and mental illness..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
There's 2 aspects to this post - Looking for any feedback on either.

Firstly, I wanted to know if anyone else has noticed distinct changes in light intensity before experiencing paranormal activity. It's just that I have noticed a trend in my experiences. What usually happens is that I notice the light intensity decreasing in distinct stages (usually about 6 or 7) before I experience something bizarre. It gets darker and darker, and the atmosphere/aura seems to change distinctly too. I know that lots of people have experienced this kinda thing, especially at night (and it is more than likely scientifically explainable in terms of retinal activity etc), but I can't understand why it always seems to occur before I have these strange experiences (um..seeing energy orbs, hearing conversations, seeing with my eyes closed, feeling spiritual touching, OBE's etc). It's become almost a clear prediction of an impending paranormal experience for me. Actually, I always start getting excited when it happens!.

Um...On a slightly different note, my psychiatrist seems to think that these experiences aren't really all that valid, and a sign of my illness. I don't relate to that idea at all, and of course a rational approach and a scientific explanation is generally a way of making us humans feel safer and feel that everything is that little bit more predicatable.

I'm not claiming that I have no mental health problems here, as I know that I do, but I feel that experiences that I have that in another individual could have been recognised as perfectly acceptable (although slightly bizarre), are dragged into my mental health issues and incorporated as part of my problem/s. I HAVE noticed that many others here have mental health problems and was wondering how others felt about this issue, and if they have experienced similar problems. There is obviously a link between mental illness and bizarre experience, but my slightly controversial opinion on this is that paradoxically, when one is more awakened, one has to pay the price for that 'luxury'?!

Opinions would be great, Cheers

eye34

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I am able to find things with my mind, accurately predict normal and abnormal events, among a few others. I am also diagnosed with schizo-affective disorder.

After years of self-reflection, I have come to the realization that one does not cause the other.

Dot.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by eye34
Um...On a slightly different note, my psychiatrist seems to think that these experiences aren't really all that valid, and a sign of my illness. I don't relate to that idea at all, and of course a rational approach and a scientific explanation is generally a way of making us humans feel safer and feel that everything is that little bit more predicatable.

Almost all psychiatrists, or "shrinks", are M.Ds and not clinical psychologists. They are just looking for symptoms. They collect enough and you get your meds and they get their money. If the meds dont shed some light on this see a clinical psychologist. If that doesn't work see a parapsychologist

[edit on 11-10-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I agree, a psychiatrist will never validate your experiences. Regardless of the state of your mental health, your post sounds well thought out and worded and you seem like a reasonable person. If your experiences are real don't let psychoquack tell you there not. This also doesn't mean that some of the things they are telling you aren't true. It just sounds as if your mental health issues and your paranormal experiences may not be associated with each other exclusively.

doctorduh

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I personally haven't associated light intensity issues w/paranormal experiences, but I know many people who are sensitive to changes in light intensity, even seasonal changes (SAD), and it seems natural that it would be part of the experience for you. What must be determined is the spatial context and preceeding environmental stimuli that are contributing to the exta-sensory awareness event. Is there a pattern to what you are eating, drinking, or otherwise ingesting prior to these episodes? Are you taking, mixing, changing, or stopping different psycho-active medications? Do you have underlying medical conditions like diabetes or hypertension? Are you under extreme emotional or physical stress, or in imminent danger? What is bringing on these visions or whatever they are, and what does it mean for you? Are they related to your diagnosed clinical conditions, causitative, or symptomatic? These are some of the important considerations that need to be made and resolved in order for you to sort this out. Above all, don't be afraid, most of what comes our way in life is opportunities to find greater understanding and meaning to our own special place in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The moral to the story. Don't loose heart, never give up, there is a way. You simply must find it
There are lot's of Dr's out there and just as many medications. Finding the right combination is the trick. A belief in something more powerful than you and thoughtful prayer has often assisted me. You can not petition the Lord with prayer, but you sure can reason with him by talking in thought.
For all the people on this page, for it is the only one, other than the first one that I have read. This is important, if you abruptly stop any of these types of neurological medications the synapses in brain are going to start emitting all types of wrong electrical impulses. There by inducing any type of symptom, cramps, spasmodic behavior, blind rage , severe depression, suicidal thoughts, hallucinations, etc,etc,etc....

www.serendipity.li...

The above site is excellent in explaining in layman's terms how these drugs function and relate to your brain. Knowledge is Power. You have the power to help yourself. Never do blindly what a Dr. or anyone for that matter tells you. If I can be of any service do not hesitate.

There is a connection between the pineal gland and serotonin that is undeniable and has a history.

Good fortune, seek knowledge, it will set you free, and grant you power,

TUT

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Some mental disorders are charachhterized by sensitivity to light and sound and an abilty to detect changes in these lights and sounds that others cannot. Autism is one, ADHD peeps are often skilled at sound perceptions.. frontal lobe things. It's very possible that heightened senses could accompany your experiences or be part of why you're able to see, hear, and sense things others cannot.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hmmnn....Thx for the replies. I think the thing that bothers me the most in terms of the mental illness/strange experience thing is the way that a majority of psychiatrists that I have seen, choose to invalidate my experience. I mean, if I am to think rationally (uck, I hate that word), then I can see that the 2 can be mututally exclusive, but in my case possibly aren't. I sound like I'm invalidating my own experience now, but what I'm really trying to say is that mentall illness may be partly responsible for the altered states of consciousness and sensitivity that loan me to this type of experience, but yet that does NOT in itself make my experinces invalid and worthless.

I mean, I don't really want to use an old cliche, but is this not all fairly similar to the whole genius/madness debate. I think that there is a very fine line between so-called genius and madness (I do not consider myself to be a genius BTW..well not all that often
), and that a fine-line exists between psychosis and insight/mystical-experience/transcendental experince etc. However, while a lot of us manage to remain on the um..more 'favourable?' side, a lot more of us can cross over between the 2. It's as if one lends you to the possibility of the other (I could go 'off on one' about dualities and paradoxes here, but I won't)...I think I know really, that I sometimes manage to find myself in 'alphabetti-spaghetti land' (as a friend once termed it), and it is NOT an enjoyable place. It's a very confusing place and really, fairly terrifying at times for me. It's all about maintaining control, I think.

Still, psychiatrists need to learn to be able to seperate one from the other - It is difficult, I know - but I have met one or 2 that are slightly more open to alternative experience without automatically throwing you into the psych-institute. I can't believe that psychiatry is STILL so seemingly 'backwards' on this type of thing...hmmnnn...I mean, really, as long as I am not a danger to others, and I'm quite happy with my experiences, surely there is no need to 'treat them'? If I became distressed, which I do at times, then fine, hand out the meds. I'm just tired of IGNORANCE and the invalidation of experinces that are VERY real and VERY usual to me....haaaaaaah B-R-E-A-T-H-E!

eye34 - rant over!

[edit on 11-10-2004 by eye34]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I often wonder if much of our environment isn't contanimated with so many chemicals our brain can't decide what to do about it. Take '___' for example. Its odorless colorless and very cheap to make. Anyone who wanted to have a person go insane could give them a sufficent daily dose and get the affect. A drop on the door knob for example would soak into the skin instantly. As far as I know the only test for it is a spinal tap. I think people with mental dissorders should be checked for chemical inbalances. Their blood should be thouroghly examined for foreign chemicals.

It's very obvious that chemicals effect our thoughts. Take sex for example. An aroused male will risk everything and think of nothing until he well you know. Immediatly after the chemical rush, he returns to his normal self and can't understand where those thoughts came from.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
Some mental disorders are charachhterized by sensitivity to light and sound and an abilty to detect changes in these lights and sounds that others cannot. Autism is one, ADHD peeps are often skilled at sound perceptions.. frontal lobe things. It's very possible that heightened senses could accompany your experiences or be part of why you're able to see, hear, and sense things others cannot.

ADHD peeps are often skilled at sound perceptions..

I did not know that, interesting. What are some of the neurological differences in an ADD/ADHD person?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I find it odd noone considered or commented on my response.

new topics

top topics

join