It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Makes Guns with a 3D Printer

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
TPTB are now going to stage a false flag event to get rid of printers in the US.

Anything can be turned into a deadly weapon. If someone is going to try to harm someone, they will find a way. Ban everything.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I don't know about firing a bullet sustained, but I am certain one could shoot a lower cal bullet a .22 isn't putting out much energy and there is some composite materials out there that when hardened is tough as nails. Something like JB weld. You can drill and tap threads in that stuff.
edit on 26-7-2012 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Hardly solved.

This technology eliminates small manufacturers, monopolizes large ones, and makes the companies that get the resources and supply them the power house.

Nothing new here. It's just a shift of economies. Hell even I'm getting involved. Since a few months ago I've been working on a gelatinous formula with someone and we might end up at NASA for it no less.

If you want something to look forward to, this sort of forces manufacturing jobs to go somewhere. Likelihood is they'll go back to farming. More food. Otherwise your best option is to find a niche, and append your skills to it. It's a brand new front with loads of opportunities.

I've had some work with these new tools. I can assure you the only thing that will change by them is whose making/doing what for who. It's sort of the 1870s-1890s all over again.
edit on 27-7-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

yea like how they tried to make torrets? lol.

Nobody will buy that because it doesn't make sense and most people actually do have some sense, albeit very little.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DeeKlassified

It's been around for over a decade. Mostly in use only by those that can afford to drop $10,000 for the machine + $5000 for the material + more costs.

Ergo, only a few really good manufacturers and government agencies and schools use them.

I know NASA has been using it for a few years to digitize the old Saturn 5 documents. Basically due to lack of funding and time since they had popular support, everyone who worked on those projects died, so they have to sort of reverse engineer their own technology to use it again. They're manufacturing the parts, once scanned, by DMLS, to then be analyzed and tested so they can use the data in the new SLS Block I and II rocket systems that will take us to the Moon again, and Ceres and Mars in the near future.

For myself, we don't have access to a very sophisticated machine. It's not a metal printer. It's a plaster one. But it can do pretty amazing work. Here's something I made a few months ago: i.imgur.com...

Bare in mind that it's more brittle than your grandmother's bones.

edit on 27-7-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

This is extremely cool and my mind is blown and I don't understand..

could one of you whipper snappers please explain what a 3d printer is and how it works or link me to an informative source. When I hear 3d printer i think just a printer that prints 3d images on paper..but is this thing really printing actual objects argggh please someone explain?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Reply to post by Gorman91

Thats pretty neat, what exactly is it?

is this thing inside somekind of special photo booth or is that just a rendered image? looks very professional.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by HumanitiesLastHope

You can't really print 3d on 2d space(paper), only the illusion of depth.
A 3d printer prints real 3d objects, cant pretend to tell you how it works.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Here you go. This video will explain 3d printing better than I could.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
It's the little things that will be big.

Plastic parts in the colors you want/need.

For example say you need a push button, you design one around a common cheap microswitch and a ball bearing and small spring available super cheap. So all you're paying for is the "ink/base". The total cost will be less than half the cost of a manufactured push button (assuming access to the expensive printer is free).

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Triesta
I just watched a video on how these items are made with the 3D printer. You need material to print out your object layer by layer. So I'm assuming the bigger printers that print out more than neti pots or bunny rabbits will cost you over 10K to begin with. Just imagine trying to print out motor vehicle parts such as tires or combustion engines. It would take mounds of material, energy and you'd still have to have the technical-know-how in order to assemble these products. This will not destroy manufacturing at the level that it's at currently, but perhaps in the future this technology will be upgraded somehow.

When we get this tech combined with Carbon Nano Tubes, the printing cost would be next to nothing and the material for printing would be all around.
Just to take the printer out in the garden a nice night, light up a fire, relax, watch the stars and let the printer suck up the smoke form the fire. Voila!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I saw this in the first thread that was posted on the monkey wrench 3d printer and thought wow, then it disappeared off youtube so here is the link again it's not made of plastic it can replicate anything and any material.

iI my opinion the white powder that is used in this printer is montomic gold, very expensive so normal househoulds would not be able to afford it so if you look up monotomic gold you will find them very very interesting reading it can replicate ANYTHING, and our governments have known this for decades but they won't tell us here is the link for the monkey wrench being replicated by the 3d printer www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
So now everyone will be out of work, replaced by technology. Soon they will be able to build computerized robots to make programers obsolete. How are they going to sell these things if there is noone to buy them? I suppose this is in preparation of reducing humans from seven billion down to 500 million people. Oh well, that's life.

I fail to comprehend how some people have such mindsets as you.
How exactly can you be so narrow minded ?!?!?!?
For Christs sake .. I F robots are made that can do a man's work. then everyone will be able to live a live without worryes..no more manual labor, no more farming, building, fixing,
No more hard labor...get it ?
No more working for a living..everythign is taken care of by a robot..AND no spare us the robot war and cyberdyne script.
Everyone will be able to just do what ever in life cause there would be free food, free electricity, free everything ONCE you eliminate manual labor which is very expensive and requires cofe breaks and smoke breaks, etc etc.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Choice777

Would be nice, but I highly doubt it..... Think the owners of the robots are just gonna start giving everything away free? Somehow I don't see that happening.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
This sort of reminds me of my days in College, we would use a cad/cam program and mill out certain parts and put them together, I really dont see what the big deal is, not much different from using a CNC, just instead of taking away material, the printer is adding and building layers on eachother. Still a very cool way to make things.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Resource based economy is very much possible and soon cyclical based consumption of economics is gonna implode.

The sooner we will start transition the easier it will be.

edit on 27-7-2012 by shogu666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
He did not make the whole gun from a 3d printer only the lower, for those who don't know what the lower is heres a picture.

All other components were from a manufactured firearm with a barrel and internals made of METAL.

Also multi color 3d printers produce fragile material, so even though a lower is created it's far from durable.
The website that talks about it's fragility is here.
i.materialise.com...
edit on 27-7-2012 by DisUglyBoyHere because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2012 by DisUglyBoyHere because: Had to install limks

edit on 27-7-2012 by DisUglyBoyHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

No Gun manufactures will not go bust because while it MAY be possible to print exhisting guns, it cannot envision nor think to create better or next generation guns and weapons. There is no creativity or future development capabilities with 3D printers, all they can do it print what already exists...

I hope I got my point across, we still need the dreamers to come up with new ideas and designs...

Sniper

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The citizens are restricted from "buying" guns, lots of background checks etc., but what restrictions are there on file about homemade firearms? If you didn't buy the gun, is it ok to possess something you make yourself, from scrap metal?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I have been following the advance of AR parts printed on a 3D printer for several years. Back in 2010 there were plans and computer files floating around the Internet [For some reason I can not find it now] that would allow people with 3D printer to make an AR lower. This presents some interesting legal issues that I am sure the ATF will jump all over.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join