It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor of Boston to Chick-Fil-A: Get Lost!!!!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Consider it being sucker punched by your older brother who is much older and much stronger then you - Life isnt fair.

Wow.....you talk like someone who is ok with someone enforcing their opinion on someone else because they are more powerful than the "weaker" person's opinion. Talk out of both sides of your mouth much? You probably don't see the problem with that... do you?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Here's my open letter to Chick-Fil-A:

Dear Chick-Fil-A,

Please kindly shut the hell up and go back to hocking processed chicken.

Sincerely,
Shadowflux

Seriously though, its quite hilarious that people who wish to discriminate against others and deny them rights the rest of us enjoy are also the first people to yell about their rights being taken away when someone tells them to take their hate mothering elsewhere. Do you get a headache from being that much of a hypocrite? Its got to take a significant amount of energy to justify that.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

No one can keep a matter of discrimination OUT of the Supreme Court because of religion, if the laws are in fact discriminatory.....

Seperation of church and state remember?

edit on 26-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by kaylaluv

Originally posted by kaylaluv
I don't think the mayor should use his official power to prevent Chick-Fil-A from operating in Boston.

I don't think he can, can he? He just "urged" them to take their business elsewhere. (I could be wrong)

What I think he should have done was make a public announcement that he and the citizens of Boston are against what the CEO says, and that he encourages all citizens to boycott any Chick-Fil-A in Boston. That is his right to free speech.

I think that's basically what he did.

Well, using official letterhead does imply that he will use his official power as mayor to stop Chick-Fil-A from operating in Boston. Maybe it would have been better if he had clarified in his letter that he couldn't or wouldn't do anything in his official capacity to stop Chick-Fil-A from opening up a restaurant in Boston, but that as consumer, he would do all he could to make sure Chick-Fil-A wasn't successful.

link   

edit on 26-7-2012 by kaylaluv because: double post

link   

reply to post by kaylaluv

Originally posted by kaylaluv
I don't think the mayor should use his official power to prevent Chick-Fil-A from operating in Boston.

I don't think he can, can he? He just "urged" them to take their business elsewhere. (I could be wrong)

BH, when he implies that licenses will not be issued unless they change their beliefs, then yes he is using his official power to prevent Chick-Fil-A from operating in Boston. He implies he will roadblock them however he can, in his capacity as Mayor. Not a good thing IMO.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Consider it being sucker punched by your older brother who is much older and much stronger then you - Life isnt fair.

Wow.....you talk like someone who is ok with someone enforcing their opinion on someone else because they are more powerful than the "weaker" person's opinion. Talk out of both sides of your mouth much? You probably don't see the problem with that... do you?

Apparently talking out of both sides of your mouth is perfectly acceptable if you identify with being christian, their double standards can be forgiven though - I mean, those poor people are brought up with double standards from birth. Just wish they would reach out to the scientific community and ask for forgiveness in the eyes of Einstein.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

BH, when he implies that licenses will not be issued unless they change their beliefs, then yes he is using his official power to prevent Chick-Fil-A from operating in Boston. He implies he will roadblock them however he can, in his capacity as Mayor. Not a good thing IMO.

I don't see these "implications" in his letter. Can you point them out? He didn't mention licenses or acting as his capacity as Mayor.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB

No one can keep a matter of discrimination OUT of the Supreme Court because of religion, if the laws are in fact discriminatory.....

Its not opposing equal rights! Its opposing changing the definition of marriage to one that is not protected under freedom of religion....

A great many people see marriage as a religious institution and as such are afforded rights under religious freedom that are guarenteed by the constitution....

changing the definition takes away my religious freedoms which are currently protected under the constitution....

I am all for equal rights.... but you people do not even believe in marriage, and want to take my rights away! Let marriage be a matter NOT governed by the state... and fight for EVERYONE has equal rights under the law.... and I am beside you all the way....

but I am not beside you in changing the definition of marriage as it is currently protected under my religious freedoms.
Just who is seeking to discriminate here? I am positive it is not me!

To not recognise and acknowledge the damage that unequal marriage laws are inflicting upon innocent homosexual people is irresponsible, immature and down right wrong.

While your "freedom of religion" is protect, other people freedoms are actively being infringed upon.
Its not like christianity owns the rights to marriage, but they sure do act like they're king of the toy box.

Whining of the sake of the meaning of the word: what is wrong with society??

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB

Its not opposing equal rights! Its opposing changing the definition of marriage to one that is not protected under freedom of religion....

A great many people see marriage as a religious institution and as such are afforded rights under religious freedom that are guarenteed by the constitution....

changing the definition takes away my religious freedoms which are currently protected under the constitution....

I am all for equal rights.... but you people do not even believe in marriage, and want to take my rights away! Let marriage be a matter NOT governed by the state... and fight for EVERYONE has equal rights under the law.... and I am beside you all the way....

but I am not beside you in changing the definition of marriage as it is currently protected under my religious freedoms.

Just who is seeking to discriminate here? I am positive it is not me!

Nope - back to disagreeing with you now.

There are many different religions - not just yours. Some religions are okay with gay marriage. There are even some people in America who -- gasp -- don't practice religion at all! All those people are, and should be, free to get a marriage license from the state, because the state doesn't - or shouldn't -- recognize any particular religion.

You are free to have your own personal definition of marriage. Let others have theirs.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It's on city letterhead, that more than implies he is acting in his capacity as the Mayor.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
Chinga la madre guy, thats different. We aren't talking about race...
we are talking about some stupid sexual preference and how most Christians don't believe in homosexual marriage. Did you read the thread guy?

No, were talking about those poor victimised christans who are having such a hard time ruling the roost by subjecting others to their idealized lifestyle/opinions.

Poor poor christians, i wish people would just leave them alone. They bring so much love into the world by teaching 4 year olds to sing about hating homosexuals, burning Qurans and generally opposing anything that steps on their delicate small minded beliefs.

Christans are never aggressors, they are the victims of a society that has matured faster then them.

Poor poor christians. Dry your tears, everything's going to be okay i promise, ive read revelations.

Burning Qurans? hating homosexuals?
what the hell are you talking about? I have never seen that.
I'm a firm agressor on it guy, and I can't really call myself a christian because I have a large anger problem. But if people get all cocky in my face because I don't believe the same crap as them, there is gonna be some retaliation. Bar none. And I know many folks who do the same thing. Some times ignorance needs to get stomped down.
Being a "homosexual" is not ok how I see it. Thats my belief. But I don't persecute them on the streets (physically or mentally or threaten them) . I don't care WHAT they do. Get married, I don't give a ###SNIP### And I'm sure most christians don't really care either. Do your own thing. (but if God is real, and the Bible is right, well then...)

If Chick Fil A wants to say they don't support gay marriage... whats the damn harm in that? Whats the big deal. If your a gay, go be gay. Chick Fil A is not going to arrest you in your sleep for being a homosexual!? NOT EVERY ONE IS GOING TO AGREE WITH THE HOMOSEXUALS AND YOU CAN'T MAKE THEM!!!!!!
edit on Thu Jul 26 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Well gay marriage in the city is legal. Discrimination is illegal. If a company would say the same about racial group people would be on barricades if the mayor wouldn't interfere.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Dear Chic-Fil-A I will be dinning at your establishments the next chance I get. Not because I agree with your stance, but because I believe you have a right to that stance. I have no issue with gay marriage/unions, simply because they are none of my business, but I also find it ironic that a group that wants to be accepted for their way of life, chooses to work so hard to berate you for yours. I often hear from the gay/lesbian community "how does my happiness affect your life," and I completely agree with that, but how does someone that believes in traditional marriage affect the life of a gay couple? If Chic-Fil-A had said that they didn't want gay people in their establishments, i'd be onboard with the boycott, but they simply said they were a private business and what the beliefs of their family are, which is their right. In far more important news, thank god for the coming rain.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

That company has never once discriminated in any of their business practices.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Chick Fil A would do well in Iran.

Time for a change of scenery?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Originally posted by kosmicjack
It's on city letterhead, that more than implies he is acting in his capacity as the Mayor.

He is saying "We don't want you here" in his official capacity as Mayor. This letter serves no legal purpose and would not stand up as a legal roadblock.

If he denies them a license or otherwise acts to PREVENT them from setting up in Boston, then that's an issue. And Chick-Fil-A's lawyers know that, I am certain.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
Chick Fil A would do well in Iran.

Time for a change of scenery?

No time for a change of avatar.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I don't see these "implications" in his letter. Can you point them out? He didn't mention licenses or acting as his capacity as Mayor.

No problem BH.... here's the repost

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
off topic

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join