It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor of Boston to Chick-Fil-A: Get Lost!!!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

How is this a political stance on a religious matter? The mayor is an advocate of equal marriage rights for same sex couples, marriage rights are a political issue. Just because Chick-Fil-A cites a religious belief for their stance on a political issue that does not somehow make the issue a matter of faith or religion.

Exactly. Chick-Fil-A can have whatever religious beliefs it wants to have, but marriage and discrimination are political issues. Chick-Fil-A is riddled with discrimination -- it discriminates in its hiring process by selecting only employees that follow Biblical principles.

Cities have every right to deny businesses, and someone has to make decisions about which businesses to deny. Chick-Fil-A's hiring practices do not make for a compelling argument for providing the city with jobs (unless you follow Biblical principles, which apparently include anti-gay stances).

www.forbes.com...

There are no federal laws that prohibit companies from asking nosy questions about religion and marital status during interviews. Most companies don't because it can open them up to discrimination claims, says James Ryan, a spokesman for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Chick-fil-A has more freedom to ask whatever it wants of franchisees because they are independent contractors and not necessarily subject to federal employment discrimination laws.

I would say that a business that slips through cracks which allow legal discrimination and hires only employees who support such discrimination is perhaps unfit for a location in a city that embraces equality. As far as I know, there is no constitutional right for opening a business wherever you want, and if the people of Boston want Chick-Fil-A in their city, I'm sure there will be a petition.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

Originally posted by pavil
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Read the links some other poster provided....said he would do all in his power to prevent them from opening up....implying they will have a more difficult time getting proper permits....ect. He is actively preventing them from trying to open up more locations, it's not just his opinion, he is actively working toward stopping them with city mechanisms. Big difference.

bostonherald.com... position=0

“If they need licenses in the city, it will be very difficult — unless they open up their policies,” he warned.

edit on 26-7-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)

Lol, im liking this guy more and more. Cant wait until he announce's "Burn a bible day" - Im there!

So you believe the government in the United States has the right to persecute people on grounds they do not like their religion and/or whatever beliefs they hold? Because that is who the Mayor works for, the Government, anything he does is doing so in a position of governmental authority and power.

Gotta love your belief in the constitution

This company is getting a taste of its own christian medicine and im loving it.
All the other companies are welcomed to do business in boston but not this one. Its not nice being unequal is it?

Hope they get the point. :

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I respect Chick Fil A and their right to free speech. No one is obligated to purchase food from them. You have choices to make. Chick Fil A is a Christian based organization and is not shy about expressing that. It is written throughout each location on the walls. That's why they are closed on Sundays. I respect that!! I remember when most all stores were closed on Sundays. Downtown was quiet and families spent the day together.

Anyway this act by the Mayor of Boston and now Chicago Mayor Rahm should itself be illegal for infringing on the rights of a business. Perhaps Chick Fil A is just too successful for them to handle. My local franchise does more for local charities and fundraising than most churches and civic groups. They focus on the community in which they operate and focus on the families that live within. What's wrong with that??

Take a lesson from Chick Fil A and most religions in the modern world regarding the definition of marriage.

You want a civil union then have at it. Good for you!! This govt bullying S%!@ has to stop!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

So you don't see a problem with his statement? If an City inspector said that to a business, he'd be accused of improper behavior, good thing he's the mayor only! Just remember your stance on this when the shoe is on the other foot.

This company does not believe in equal marriage rights. Fair enough.

This mayor does not believe in equal business rights to settle and trade. What's your problem? Guess Chic-a-fil dont like the shoe being on the other foot either

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I have no idea what a "Chick-Fil-A" is (I thought it was "Chick-A-Fill" LOL!), but I'm glad I've never eaten there!
And I admire Boston for standing by its citizens! Way to go, indeed!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Please stop yelling about free speech. Free speech does not entitle you to discriminate against an entire class of people.

Sometimes government (which is the people) must stand up and say enough is enough. This society should not accept the outright discrimination of homosexuals, period.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
Chinga la madre guy, thats different. We aren't talking about race...
we are talking about some stupid sexual preference and how most Christians don't believe in homosexual marriage. Did you read the thread guy?

No, were talking about those poor victimised christans who are having such a hard time ruling the roost by subjecting others to their idealized lifestyle/opinions.

Poor poor christians, i wish people would just leave them alone. They bring so much love into the world by teaching 4 year olds to sing about hating homosexuals, burning Qurans and generally opposing anything that steps on their delicate small minded beliefs.

Christans are never aggressors, they are the victims of a society that has matured faster then them.

Poor poor christians. Dry your tears, everything's going to be okay i promise, ive read revelations.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Your rights end where another's begins.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

. As in that example, the very fact that so many base acceptance of political actions and Constitutional arguments not on concepts of equality or freedom, and not on the document itself, but on the issue at hand and their own personal feelings, ignoring any concept of fairness or equity, signifies even more so the imminent destruction and downfall of society.

Never fear; I have stocked up on Mountain Dew and popcorn to watch this incarnation of the Keystone Kops. After all, I shouldn't need much until society has collapsed completely under the immense weight of such arrogance and ignorance and I can busy myself with building it back.

Perhaps we can do a better job this next time.

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

I quite agree.... I suppose its soda and popcorn for me too, as these people are inviting the downfall of everything that was fought and bled for.... that was our constitutional freedoms....

it rather included theirs, so they used it to benefit them, then decided to throw it out the window when the might benefit anyone else.

Yep, the fall is coming.... and its going to fall hard.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I love how people just love to throw "discrimination" around like nothing. Including the mayor of Boston. Is there any evidence that Chick Fil A has denied business to people because they were gay or because they were in a gay marriage? Just curious..

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I love how people just love to throw "discrimination" around like nothing. Including the mayor of Boston. Is there any evidence that Chick Fil A has denied business to people because they were gay or because they were in a gay marriage? Just curious..

They refused to give me a side of equal marriage, i would say that's pretty damn despicable! And their soda is watered down!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

REALLY? GOOD FOR HIM?
Look at how IRONIC this is and how STUPID your statement looks.

"Same sex marriage is a freedom and people should have those freedoms."

Okay...Chick Fil A has the freedom to say they don't support gay marriage and don't support YOU. You and this Boston mayor need to shove it up your butt.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Point to ponder

The president of Chick-fil-A told an interviewer last week that his privately held company is “guilty as charged” in the support of traditional marriage. Afterward, the Boston Herald reported that the city’s mayor wants to block the chain from opening a restaurant there, and the Chicago Tribune reported similar sentiments expressed by an alderman.

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, a Republican and erstwhile Baptist preacher who ran for president, used his Facebook page to call for a “Chick-fil-A appreciation day.”

As for the company, it released a statement saying that it treats “every person with honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender” and `”going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.”

go.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Oh heck no. They'll take anybody's money. Greed trumps religious principles every time.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

They refused to give me a side of equal marriage, i would say that's pretty damn despicable! And their soda is watered down!

Have they ever denied you service? or anyone for that matter just based on sexual orientation alone?? Doubtful. Don't support the beliefs of a Christian Privately held company?? Go to Wendy's for your Chicken. That's what used to make this nation so great.

link   

Anyway this act by the Mayor of Boston and now Chicago Mayor Rahm should itself be illegal for infringing on the rights of a business.

But it's okay to infringe on the rights of people, denying an entire class of citizens the same rights of marriage.

That must be why I keep seeing all of these political ads that talk about what a great "businessman" X politician is. That's all we care about, huh? Business.

link   

Point to ponder

The president of Chick-fil-A told an interviewer last week that his privately held company is “guilty as charged” in the support of traditional marriage. Afterward, the Boston Herald reported that the city’s mayor wants to block the chain from opening a restaurant there, and the Chicago Tribune reported similar sentiments expressed by an alderman.

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, a Republican and erstwhile Baptist preacher who ran for president, used his Facebook page to call for a “Chick-fil-A appreciation day.”

As for the company, it released a statement saying that it treats “every person with honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender” and `”going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.”

go.bloomberg.com...

Good answer, now start back peddling.

link   

As I stated before, discrimination cannot be proven since it is not in the supreme court as a discrimination issue.... it is a matter up for public consumption and public voting.

People have a right to vote any way they please.... that is a right protected by the constitution and it is a guarentee that you cannot be discriminated against for voting in whatever manner you pleased....

No one can coerse you into voting against your concious, and that is what is being done here. Attempted cooersion and discrimination against someone for thier religious beliefs and their voting habits...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333

Anyway this act by the Mayor of Boston and now Chicago Mayor Rahm should itself be illegal for infringing on the rights of a business.

But it's okay to infringe on the rights of people, denying an entire class of citizens the same rights of marriage.

That must be why I keep seeing all of these political ads that talk about what a great "businessman" X politician is. That's all we care about, huh? Business.

Look at how IRONIC this is and how STUPID your statement looks.

"Same sex marriage is a freedom and people should have those freedoms."

Okay...Chick Fil A has the freedom to say they don't support gay marriage and don't support YOU. You and this Boston mayor need to shove it up your butt.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Im not even american but be assured if i could boycott this company i would! Hahaha, i just find it hilarious that christians have a problem with being discriminated against yet are the first to start trying to restrict rights to gay couples.

Live by the sword, die by the sword eh?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join