It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor of Boston to Chick-Fil-A: Get Lost!!!!

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaysandnights
Although these city leaders, mayors, etc. cannot legally prevent Chick-fil-A from doing business there if they want to solely because of the companies beliefs, what can be done is to diminish the companies' value in moving to the area. And that is what is happening here. You are not welcome here is basically what is being said. And they aren't welcome in the Northeast, by and large. CFA is a Southern store, with (quite frankly) Southern conservative values. So that won't play in Boston. And it won't play in Chicago. CFA should get the message and stick to where they are wanted.

Just because YOU don't want them, doesn't mean the other citizens of your area agree with you. Jeez, what don't you get about that? I was just in Pittsburg, the Chick-Fil-A there was hopping. I had breakfast at another place at 4 State Troopers were talking about how they ate at Chick-Fil-A there just to show support and commented on how clean the place was and how polite everyone who worked there was.

If you have a good product, people will support you.

You can CHOOSE not to go there, don't limit other people's ability to CHOOSE for themselves.

Obviously the risk is on the Franchisee of Chick-Fil-A, they are the ones risking their monetary necks by selecting sites.... but you know those Franchisee's don't really deserve anything, they didn't build it. Right?

edit on 2-8-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I want to stress that the mayor and other city officials that are balking at having these fast-food places in their towns have a perfect right (AND obligation!) to ask about their non-discriminatory hiring and serving policies, especially since this place has had so many discrimination lawsuits against it. The alderman in Chicago wants clarity on his policies and non-discrimination policies.

Chicago alderman Joe Moreno: Chick-fil-A discrimination ‘disturbing’

“Cathy also was asked if he would hire a gay individual,” Moreno explained. “He paused for a long while and then said, ‘Well, it depends on the circumstances.’ I want clarity.”

“It’s my responsibility to have responsible businesses and part of the businesses responsibility is not have discriminatory policies,” he added.

Moreno said Chick-fil-A had been sued 19 times for discriminating against minority groups.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I added the awful (and toxic) ingredients of a Chick-Fil-A sandwich in another thread HERE (it has over 100 ingredients!), and I came across this food-made version of their sandwich (without all the toxic chemicals and preservatives), and wanted to share. The sandwich is called a Chick-Fil-Gay!

To make it “just like” CFA, serve on a buttered, toasted bun with two (only TWO) slices of dill pickle. Those very cheap, slightly yellowish “hamburger dills” work the best in my opinion, for the juice marinade and the pickles themselves.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavilJust because YOU don't want them, doesn't mean the other citizens of your area agree with you. Jeez, what don't you get about that? I was just in Pittsburg, the Chick-Fil-A there was hopping. I had breakfast at another place at 4 State Troopers were talking about how they ate at Chick-Fil-A there just to show support and commented on how clean the place was and how polite everyone who worked there was.

If you have a good product, people will support you.

You can CHOOSE not to go there, don't limit other people's ability to CHOOSE for themselves.

Obviously the risk is on the Franchisee of Chick-Fil-A, they are the ones risking their monetary necks by selecting sites.... but you know those Franchisee's don't really deserve anything, they didn't build it. Right?

It's not about what I want, it's about what these city officials want, and they DO NOT want their cities to be associated with homophobia. And that's all it comes down to. I totally get there are homophobes everywhere, but that doesn't mean city leaders have to endorse nor respect that. Because if they don't want their cities associated with that, then they don't have to.

If people want to choose to consume greasy food and rush themselves to an early death, I certainly won't stop them. They can't be legally prevented from doing business where they please solely because of CEO Dan Cathy's religious beliefs, not all franchises of CFA adhere to his beliefs individually. But they can be shunned from the city and given the message they aren't wanted, and that's what is happening. Again, that's not about anything but what these city officials want of their city. As long as they are in office as mayors or as community organizers, then they're the ones who are in charge of how they want their cities represented.
edit on 2-8-2012 by crazydaysandnights because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
So the mayor is a homosexual and hates christianity, and cares not for the U.S. constitution, and/or freedom of speech? that's what I get from this whole thing. I don't understand this whole gay thing that is going on. If you are gay, then fine. But why try to force me to think that it's ok? You don't see people with paranoid schizophrenia, marching up and down the streets demanding that everyone else believe in pink elephants? Mental illness can be treated, but only if it is labelled first, as such, and not glorified as a right.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Fylgje because: typo

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaysandnights
It's not about what I want, it's about what these city officials want, and they DO NOT want their cities to be associated with homophobia. And that's all it comes down to. I totally get there are homophobes everywhere, but that doesn't mean city leaders have to endorse nor respect that. Because if they don't want their cities associated with that, then they don't have to.

If people want to choose to consume greasy food and rush themselves to an early death, I certainly won't stop them. They can't be legally prevented from doing business where they please solely because of CEO Dan Cathy's religious beliefs, not all franchises of CFA adhere to his beliefs individually. But they can be shunned from the city and given the message they aren't wanted, and that's what is happening. Again, that's not about anything but what these city officials want of their city. As long as they are in office as mayors or as community organizers, then they're the ones who are in charge of how they want their cities represented.
edit on 2-8-2012 by crazydaysandnights because: (no reason given)

Beating a dead horse here...... The mayor was using his office to imply that they would not get the proper licenses.... that's pretty much trying to legally prevent them from doing business where they please. I'm sure there are other companies with much larger impacts in the Boston Area that the Mayor could go after. Try any of the Mega Banks and their lawsuits that they settled for discriminatory lending to African Americans and Hispanics in the last Decade?? He won't touch that one with a ten foot pole, will he?

It's all political grandstanding and the Mayor got caught trying to cash a check with his mouth that wouldn't fly in court.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I want to stress that the mayor and other city officials that are balking at having these fast-food places in their towns have a perfect right (AND obligation!) to ask about their non-discriminatory hiring and serving policies, especially since this place has had so many discrimination lawsuits against it. The alderman in Chicago wants clarity on his policies and non-discrimination policies.

BH, please give me some detail on these "so many discrimination lawsuits" against Chick-Fil-A. I've searched and haven't really found anything out of the ordinary for a large fast food chain. Is the Chain selective of it's franchisee's, yes. Has it been found to be discriminatory......... I want to see the proof. It's a very profitable company, which would make it a tempting target for lawsuits. I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary for the industry segment.

Please provide info to back up your assertion.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fylgje
So the mayor is a homosexual and hates christianity, and cares not for the U.S. constitution, and/or freedom of speech? that's what I get from this whole thing. I don't understand this whole gay thing that is going on. If you are gay, then fine. But why try to force me to think that it's ok? You don't see people with paranoid schizophrenia, marching up and down the streets demanding that everyone else believe in pink elephants? Mental illness can be treated, but only if it is labelled first, as such, and not glorified as a right.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Fylgje because: typo
OK, then we should be seeking to get fundamentalism on the DSM list of disorders. Because if anything is a disorder, it's being a fundamentalist, religious nut. Homophobia is already listed as a personality dysfunction, appropriately, so we don't need to cover that base.

No-one is forcing you to accept anything, but if you choose to be anti-gay, you choose the criticism that comes with that in 2012.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavilBeating a dead horse here...... The mayor was using his office to imply that they would not get the proper licenses.... that's pretty much trying to legally prevent them from doing business where they please. I'm sure there are other companies with much larger impacts in the Boston Area that the Mayor could go after. Try any of the Mega Banks and their lawsuits that they settled for discriminatory lending to African Americans and Hispanics in the last Decade?? He won't touch that one with a ten foot pole, will he?

It's all political grandstanding and the Mayor got caught trying to cash a check with his mouth that wouldn't fly in court.
True, what the mayor originally threatened to do is not legal. But what is legal is, once again, diminishing a companies' value in moving to a local they're seeking to enter. And sending the message to that company they're not welcomed or wanted. If CFA were smart, they'd stay in their conservative pockets in the South. Trying to move up North will be a major fail for them, because city leaders do not want them there and will basically do whatever they can to run them out of town.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Originally posted by pavil
BH, please give me some detail on these "so many discrimination lawsuits" against Chick-Fil-A.

When you searched, did you Google "Chick-Fil-A discrimination lawsuits?

One of the cases involved Aziz Latif, a former Chick-fil-A restaurant manager in Houston, who sued the company in 2002 because he was fired a day after refusing to participate in a group prayer to Jesus Christ at a company training program. Latif is a Muslim. The suit was settled, but the terms were not disclosed, Forbes reported.

More recently, a former employee of a Chick-fil-A restaurant in Georgia sued the company for wrongful termination, alleging she and other women employees were victims of gender discrimination.
Forbes noted that Chick-fil-A might face more discrimination lawsuits if it didn't screen potential hires and operators so rigorously, with many job candidates going through a yearlong vetting process with dozens of interviews that can last as long as five hours. The parent company also asks people who apply for operator licenses to disclose their marital status, number of dependents, and involvement in community, civic, social, church and professional organizations.

Federal law does not prohibit employers from asking potential hires questions about religion and marital status during interviews, and companies have even wider latitude in approving franchisees.

Chick-Fil-A's History of Workplace Discrimination

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Dear Benevolent Heretic,

Thanks for giving me information about two discrimination cases about which I had not heard. The Forbes article mentioned in your source mentions 12 discrimination suits since 1988. One discrimination suit every two years against a chain with over 1600 outlets? Sure, discrimination is bad, but this doesn't seem like a cesspool of hatred and discrimination.

So now I've learned that one law suit was a Muslim discrimination case, one was sexual harassment, and one was gender discrimination. It just doesn't seem like a major problem. As an aside, I haven't heard of any discrimination against gays. (And no, supporting heterosexual marriage is not homophobic discrimination.)

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes I did BH, the poster below your post (Charles) pretty much summed it up. Nothing out of the ordinary and I would venture below the average for a fast food chain. There is not a widespread, systemic discrimination thing going on. I posted that before in this thread. Where's the beef? BTW, most of those lawsuits are against individual franchisee's not the chain. You are always going to have that happen.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaysandnights

I'm glad that at least you admit what the Mayor was doing originally was not legal. A lot on your side would not even admit that.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
I'm glad that at least you admit what the Mayor was doing originally was not legal. A lot on your side would not even admit that.

That may be true. Some people say things in the heat of battle that they shouldn't. But his heart was in the right place. He doesn't want CFA in Boston and he will do everything in his power to prevent it while he is mayor.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by technical difficulties
If he is planning on banning Chick-Fil-A, it's just a waste of time considering that it will probably not gain much business in Boston (given it's current public image). I can understand why he would want to do it, but still.

Originally posted by thomas81z
yea mumbles menino is an idiot !!!! who care if they are agianst mo's tieing the knot i love their food,
What a stupid comment. There's more to it than the spokesman's silly, childish views on gay marraige-They also donate their money to anti-gay groups, which is a slap to the face to the rational people who eat there.

It's their money.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Sorry but laws against workplace discrimination are wrong to start with. To tell a guy who owns a business that he can't discriminate in who he hires or serves is BS. These laws shouldn't even be on the books.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
This whole situation is very easy to understand if you look at it.
It all boils down to stupid Christian crap.
When they protested JC Penny for having Ellen DeGeneres in their commercials, just because she's gay, and people disagreed, we were infringing on "their freedom of speech.
Now some ignorant chicken flinger wants to show his ignorance and we're just supposed to just say " Oh that Chick-Fil-A, I'll have another breast."
Ignorant people deserve the consequences for what they say.
Personally, if I met that goober, I would probably shove a chicken wing up his A-Hole!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Originally posted by charles1952
I haven't heard of any discrimination against gays.

I didn't claim there was discrimination suits about sexuality. But a history of discrimination (which is against the law) calls for an investigation before they are permitted to operate within the city. The purpose of an investigation into Chick-Fil-A's non-discrimination policy is to EXAMINE the cases and ensure that they don't have a policy (even an "understood" policy) of discrimination of ANY kind. It's against the law.

The owner is known to support anti-gay groups. If he supported the KKK and didn't have any black people working for him, there would be reason for investigation, too. (Yes, I know gay people work there, but only "closeted" gays, as far as I've found.)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrianFlanders

Originally posted by technical difficulties
If he is planning on banning Chick-Fil-A, it's just a waste of time considering that it will probably not gain much business in Boston (given it's current public image). I can understand why he would want to do it, but still.

Originally posted by thomas81z
yea mumbles menino is an idiot !!!! who care if they are agianst mo's tieing the knot i love their food,
What a stupid comment. There's more to it than the spokesman's silly, childish views on gay marraige-They also donate their money to anti-gay groups, which is a slap to the face to the rational people who eat there.

It's their money.
True, and they're using their money to fund hate groups. No decent person would support that.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
All I saw here was: "Damn your freedom of speech, we don't like your opinions so you cannot do business in our city"

Pretty much sums it up. The mayor of Boston is piss'n on the Constitution.
I disagree with the beliefs of the owner of Chick-Fil-A .. but he's got a right to them.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The mayor cannot legally keep the restaurant from opening in his city for expressing his opinions. Unless CFA can be found to discriminate or otherwise be breaking the law, there's not much the mayor can do about it (except express HIS opinions, of course).

This is discussed in the thread earlier.
edit on 8/3/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join