It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney: 'Many' Of Aurora Shooting Suspect's Weapons Were Illegal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Wednesday said many of the weapons obtained by the shooting suspect in Colorado were obtained illegally and that changing laws won't prevent gun-related tragedies.

But the firearms that authorities allege James Holmes used to kill 12 people in Aurora, Colo., were obtained legally.

"This person shouldn't have had any kind of weapons and bombs and other devices and it was illegal for him to have many of those things already. But he had them," Romney told NBC News in an interview. "And so we can sometimes hope that just changing the law will make all bad things go away. It won't."

I don't know what to say really. Mitt is often accused of being out of touch...but you would think he would at least try to pay attention to a huge tragedy like the Aurora shooting. But no...he isn't even aware that the weapons that James Holmes bought were all legal and all legally purchased by him.

And let's not forget...that Romney just can't stay straight on any issue...and that includes the gun issue.

NBC News anchor Brian Williams pressed Romney about his tenure as Massachusetts governor, when the presumptive GOP nominee signed a bill that banned some assault weapons like the type Holmes is alleged to have used. At the time, Romney described such guns as "instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."

So once again, we have Romney saying one thing as a Governor and another as a Presidential candidate. I actually feel a bit sorry for Romney supporters...they have no idea which Mitt they are voting for.

We have seen all the pro-gun people here on ATS all claiming that anti-gun people are using this for political reasons...but let's face it...IT IS AN ISSUE. There is a small minority that are willing to come out and still attempt to defend the "right" for people like James Holmes to legally purchase a small arsenal in under a month...but fortunately I think the majority of Americans see that regulation is not stripping people of their "freedoms" of owning guns.

Mitt Romney...please...at least make an effort to try to be in touch with the American public...at least try to know the facts of the biggest event in the nation at the moment...at least show a little compassion by taking to the time to get the basic facts straight...at least show the victims and their families a little respect to spend 10 minutes to get a briefing before making an ignorant statement.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I wonder if Mitt can see Russia from his house??

Wow is he so elite he doesn't watch the news?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

It's just sad.

Not even in a political way...just in a human being way.

This isn't even about being politcal, or partisan, or right, or left...it is just about being a decent human being and taking the time to actually learn the facts about a huge tragedy in your own country.

I know he is busy getting ready to go watch his horse perform in the London Olympics...but come on Mitt...show some respect.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
When I saw your headline I assumed that somebody had information showing that the whacko's weapons were illegally bought. Of course I should have known better than to think that a politician would be able to get that right - particularly a well known flip flopper like Romney...

And for me of course there will be a debate about guns after a crazed gunman used them in a mass killing. The wierd (and wrong) thing to do would be to pretend that nothing happened and that nothing can be learned.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
He was talking about the explosives that he used to rig his house with.

"In an interview with NBC's Brian Williams, the presumptive Republican nominee pointed to the fact that James E. Holmes, the suspect in last Friday's shooting, was "building bombs"—even though it was illegal."
edit on 7/25/2012 by bl4ke360 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

Snookie was the dumbest Jersey Shore member and is now America's sweetheart.

Don't assume that Romney's campaign isn't using this strategy.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360

"In an interview with NBC's Brian Williams, the presumptive Republican nominee pointed to the fact that James E. Holmes, the suspect in last Friday's shooting, was "building bombs"—even though it was illegal."

So owning gasoline was illegal?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Mitt Romney was asked about changing gun laws...and that was his response. So are you trying to tell me that instead of focusing on the weapons that kille 12 people and wonded many more...Romney wants to talk about the explosives that injured ZERO PEOPLE???

If you want to make the argument that Romney was just dodging the question...fine...but it still isn't excusable...the victims and their families deserve a straight answer from someone who is running to be the President Of The United States.

But here...let me show you the EXACT question and his response...then you can continue to try to BS me and others saying he was talking about explosives.

WILLIAMS: "On things however like Aurora, Colorado, do you see why Americans get frustrated at politics. They can see and hear your words from earlier in their career, people are hurting out there. Perhaps they want to start a national conversation about whether an AR-15 belongs in the hands of a citizen, whether a citizen should be able to buy 6-thousand rounds off the internet. You see the argument?"

ROMNEY: "Well this person shouldn't have had any kind of weapons and bombs and other devices and it was illegal for him to have many of those things already. But he had them. And so we can sometimes hope that just changing the law will make all bad things go away. It won't. Changing the heart of the American people may well be what's essential, to improve the lots of the American people."

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
reply to post by bl4ke360

Snookie was the dumbest Jersey Shore member and is now America's sweetheart.

Don't assume that Romney's campaign isn't using this strategy.

It's starting to look like he's aiming to capture the Sympathy vote. Unfortunately for RomBot 9000, he's so unlikable that it's difficult to find any sympathy for him.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I really dont want to put much energy into defending this man but in the context of the interview he appears to directly be talking about 'bombs and devices' instead of guns.

I can see how it could be confusing though since the question from the interviewer was about guns. I guess Romney anticipated where he was going and brought up the bomb stuff.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

So owning gasoline was illegal?

Yes...apparently to that guy...gasoline, fireworks, and gunpowder (most likely from teh 6000 rounds of ammo) is what Romney is refering to as "illegal" to "have".

I know many people are going to choose ignorance and say "he was talking about making bombs"...yet he said nothing about "making" anything...he clearly said "shouldn't have had".

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
I really dont want to put much energy into defending this man but in the context of the interview he appears to directly be talking about 'bombs and devices' instead of guns.

I can see how it could be confusing though since the question from the interviewer was about guns. I guess Romney anticipated where he was going and brought up the bomb stuff.

Brian Williams asked him straight up about AR-15 and 6000 rounds of ammo and this was the response he made.
edit on 25-7-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
wait ... are you suggesting the Romney camp actually HAS a strategy ?
tactless, ineffective, evasive, non-committal ... yeah, i guess that's a strategy

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

And if people want to defend Romney by saying he dodged the issue...the MAIN ISSUE...then fine...knock yourselves out.

No bombs killed anyone in Aurora...GUNS did. Romney's unwillingness to even discuss the issue that Holmes was LEGALLY allowed to obtain such firepower in such a short time is a slap in the face to all the victims and their families.

But people can do what they want...defend Romney all you want...I think it is disgusting and disrespectful to all Aurora victims/families.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

That's what I just said. Lol the interviewer asked directly about guns but Romney went into a thing about bombs and devices. Not sure why. Just wanted to point out why it could go either way interpration-wise.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Crime is on a steady decline in america first and foremost, has been for years...

Next, yes the Stun grenades, explosives, and body armor used.

All illegal.

SO heres the thing, HE STILL HAD ILLEGAL ITEMS, law breakers don't follow laws.

Blackmarket Reloaded.... TOR.

DO the leg work on this on your own, any gun, any where in the world, if you know how to, the laws and gun controls mean nothing.

If you want guns you can get them, if your determined enough to do harm, YOU WILL.
edit on 25-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
why the hell am i getting double post all of a sudden...

and why did someone star it lol.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Oh don't get me wrong. I think you nailed him with his previous quotes from Massachusetts. I was just trying to add a moderate view after investigating the source video.

But I can see you have a personal emotional investment in this partisan-wise so I'm outtie.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Next, yes the Stun grenades, explosives, and body armor used.

All illegal.

Stun grenades??? You mean the tear gas...the tear gas that is LEGAL to buy in Colorado???

And the "explosives"...the ones made with LEGAL components that killed and harmed ZERO people???

And the body armor...which isn't a weapon.

Seems like you are trying really hard to defend Mitt.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Seems like you are trying really hard to defend Mitt.

Alright outkast I know your a Obama supporter.

and by far I AM NOT A MITT FAN AT ALL.

Ill be damned if I vote for him, he is EVERYTHING that is wrong with this country, and OUT OF TOUCH Vulture capitalist.

YOU see outkast, there are always more sides to an issue, no sane reasonable person is BLACK AND WHITE on everything.

Theres shades of grey dude.

I was a DEM, than Briefly toyed with REP, and frankly I wont vote for either of them Clowns.

if that makes me crazy fine, I just wont vote for the lesser of two evils.

BACK to the topic, Gun control does not work.

I can find anything right now, literally anything, and get it smuggled and delivered anywhere in the world.

So if crime is down... the only cry for gun control come from these tragedies...

Funny, I bet if it was in Vermount or Texas the man would of been down before the 2nd or third shot..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join