It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member Applause

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
So... you want an applause feature for a really good and successful thread or post.

I hear a lot of smart people that make threads and posts and they get a lot of stars and flags ... and now we want applause.

Well let me tell you something... you didn't build that thread and you didn't make that post... not by yourself. There were a lot of people behind you and beneath you that made this a successful thread and posts...

They deserve applause too.

The people that built the highways and bridges to transport the software and monitors, the people that run the power plants... and Al Gore for inventing the internet..Why without him, we would have no internet.
edit on 26-7-2012 by AlreadyGone because: spelling and wit

edit on 26-7-2012 by AlreadyGone because: spelling and fat fingers

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
So... you want an applause feature for a really good and successful thread or post.

I hear a lot of smart people that make threads and posts and they get a lot of stars and flags ... and now we want applause.

Well let me tell you something... you didn't build that thread and you didn't make that post... not by yourself. There were a lot of people behind you and beneath you that made this a successful thread and posts...

The people that built the highways and bridges to transport the software and monitors, the people that run the power plants... and Al Gore for inventing the internet..Why without him, we would have no internet.
edit on 26-7-2012 by AlreadyGone because: spelling and wit

edit on 26-7-2012 by AlreadyGone because: spelling and fat fingers

O
M
G

Best reply ever!

(I wish I could give you an applause, or applesauce. )

*danged glasses*

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

BEYOND AWESOME!

Member applause ... we used to have it about 6 years ago. It was called 'WATS' - 'Way Above Top Secret' .. something like that. You had three WATS votes per month that you could give to whoever you wanted. Nowadays people use the stars instead. Anyone they agree with .. no matter what the content of the post ... it's silly. I favor getting rid of stars all together. It's just group think silly-ness.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Originally posted by Gemwolf
In the good old days we had WATS. Different than those we have today. If I remember correctly everyone had 3 WATS votes at the beginning of each month. You treasured your WATS votes and only gave them to someone that was very deserving - because you only had 3 to give. At the end of the month the person with the most WATS votes would then get to wear the WATS medal for the coming month...

Example

And if I recall correctly Valhall held the record for most WATS awards ever...

Perhaps something similar could be devised? A limited amount of Votes (or Applauses). This way those "praises" would be handed out with much more consideration and will be valued more, seeing that they can't be handed out left and right like flags and stars. Although with the amount of members we have today compared to "back then" it may not be as easy to implement. Just a thought.

I actually like that idea. Give some well earned props to exceptional posters but within reason. I like that a lot. I think 1 point per person per month would be perfect. If there is a rather exceptional thread or post you can give your monthly point (I think three is too many). Everyone gets a voice and it wouldn't become some weird club if the points given were not permanently displayed.

I want to pet the pug.

I just LOVE that pug!!!

..... now all the mods that exist need to go over and give me applesauce on my avatar thread!!
....or cranberry sauce would do in a pinch

edit on 26-7-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

O
M
G

Best reply ever!

(I wish I could give you an applause, or applesauce. )

*danged glasses*

Since you're the beeezeeee and all... I'll go to all the trouble of getting out the food processor and making you some special carrot sauce!!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

I like the idea, but I think the privilege ought to be a lot higher. Maybe after you receive at least 50 applauses from staff yourself you can start giving applauses, or maybe after you earn 1000 flags, or 20,000 points, or something like that. I think it should be a rare privilege, but it would be nice to have more people giving applauses more often.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1
reply to post by beezzer

Power corrupts. People with the power to applaud and elevate someone's status are going to act the same way most do about stars. Only handing it out when someone agrees. I star people that I disagree with all the time. I just don't think the majority would do anything but elevate people they agreed with. Then again I have no idea how much applause everyone has so I guess it doesn't matter.

Only handing it out when someone agrees....."

Maybe we’re making a bit of a generalization here Domo.

Obviously most people are probably going to hand out applause to people who are posting topics which they resonate with. Why, because for starters most people hang out in the forums that interest them. Secondly, we are not machines who measure thread or post quality purely from one set of rules or guidelines.

I would like to think that as in what I’m proposing one only gets a very limited number of these ‘Member Applauses’, one would still reserve them for posts or threads of high quality.

But lets assume for a moment that you are completely right and the ‘Member Applause’ system is completely open to abuse. Let’s just see how that would play out......

Just say for a moment we had two members who weren’t actually here to learn new things and interact with people who shared similar views to them; or debate with those who challenged their beliefs and pointed out the flaws therefore helping the members fine tune their thoughts processes. These two guys were corrupt, seeking to topple ATS once they had ammassed enough followers and form there own little clique of pure and unadulterated evil. For the sake of the example I’ll call them ‘Domo1’ and ‘Beezzer’.

Now these two guys instead of focusing on the to most obvious member scoring systems which are open to abuse – ‘Flagging’ which actually draws both member and nonmember traffic to one’s thread and therefore throws the spotlight on the person who wrote it, and ‘Starring’ which is an imediate visual guide as to a post’s popularity.These two denizens of the abyss decide to focus on the newly implemented system of member flagging which cannot actually be seen unless one were to click on another members profile and doesn’t actually contribute to anything except a very small line under the ‘Staff Applause’ showing the number of ‘Member Applauses’ one has received....

It was a dark and foreboding day, the type one only ever sees in the opening credits of an English murder mystery series. Slowly out of the swirling sunless mist, two figures began to emerge, walking rapidly yet methodically toward a fate even the god's hastened to foretell...

“Have the preparations been finalised Beezzer?”

“I...I think so Domo. Just let me get this straight, I’ll send all my Applause to you, you’ll send all your Applause to me, and the small amount of points we gain from each Applause, plus all those points we get from our numerous posts filled with wit and humor that one only gains through years of posting comments regarding how the radiation emanating from Nibiru is actually causing the fluroride level in our drinking water to increase or how Obamacare is actually being implemented under direct orders from the Galactic Federation as beamed directly into the President's pineal gland will make us completely unstoppable."

“That’s right my floppy eared friend. Pretty soon we’ll have nearly a million ATS points between us. Nothing can stand in our way”

*cue evil laughter from Domo, ‘giggity giggity’ from Beezzer*

“Okay, between us we now have 1, 000, 073 points total. So that would mean its now time to implement phase 2 of our plan right?”

“That’s right my sad little bunnykins”

“So what actually is phase two?”

“Well we take all these points we’ve amassed and um.... um.... yeah. Look, I’ll have to get back to you on that one”

“Does that mean I don’t get no applesauce.....?”

edit on 26/7/2012 by 1littlewolf because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I like the idea, but I think the privilege ought to be a lot higher. Maybe after you receive at least 50 applauses from staff yourself you can start giving applauses, or maybe after you earn 1000 flags, or 20,000 points, or something like that. I think it should be a rare privilege, but it would be nice to have more people giving applauses more often.
How about to RATS members?
Yeah, I know I'm on the list, but that would narrow down the people who had the ability.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This is how I utilize my applause button.

If a post is well written, with some thinking behind it I applaud it. I've also been known to applaud a one line response that sheds a different light on a subject. Not necessarily agree with it...but good writing and thinking should get a notice. It shows that someone actually took the time to think about their post/thread and were able to articulate that response in a manner conducive to thoughtful conversation.

I never applaud simply because I agree with a post/thread.

I would encourage you all to alert a post you think worthy of notice. We enjoy applauding the good stuff, much more than removing bad stuff. It's a lot more fun. ...and the PM's are less testy...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Basically I just think it would be nice to send a anonymous (from other posters unless one actually looks at the member’s profile) yet personal thank you to another member for a job well done which would let them know I really meant it, as opposed to the mass starring system we have in place now.

It doesn’t have to be applause necessarily. I do also like that WATS votes idea tha Gemwolf mentioned. I do also like that WATS votes idea that Gemwolf mentioned. I really can’t see how it would be open to much abuse. Nor do I think it would turn into much of a popularity contest unless it’s actually linked to something such as The Top 50 Members page which I don’t agree with anyway.

Yes I know you can simply U2U them, but I reckon a small (comparitively when to ‘Staff Applause’)contribution to that particular members point score (which we all agree doesn’t mean much anyway) and a small simple line in the profile showing the number of ‘Member Applauses’ received wouldn’t really be too much too ask. You could even include a small message of appreciation with it maybe.

Sounds great. I don't want to replace mod applauses (hence the low or no points), nor do I think that everyone should have this priviledge from day one. Just a little something from one member to another which isn't immediately obvious to other members on any one particular thread, just one tiny line on the profile.

edit on 26/7/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Yeah, I know I'm on the list, but that would narrow down the people who had the ability.

It is fairly easy to get into RATS. I think it is something like 100 posts. I'm afraid too many members would utilize applause instead of stars and it would cheapen the thrill.

I'm thinking the privilige to administer applauses should be closely guarded and coveted, but less than Mod status. Like a training ground for future Mods, LOL!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

It is fairly easy to get into RATS. I think it is something like 100 posts. I'm afraid too many members would utilize applause instead of stars and it would cheapen the thrill.

I'm thinking the privilige to administer applauses should be closely guarded and coveted, but less than Mod status. Like a training ground for future Mods, LOL!

Or

How about we keep it as is.

I actually prefer the LOL line being added.

Though I do like applesauce. . . . .

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I can think of a few I would have like to applaud it's a good idea,not just because of the subject matter but for the writing style as well as some put a lot of work and thought into producing their threads.

so my applause to you for the great idea!!!

edit on 26-7-2012 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I have the answer! It takes two hands to give applause and each hand has 5 fingers. So.... we give each other the finger!!!

After 10 people give you the finger, you get an applause!

.... ok ok, silly way of saying that you have to have multiple opinions on it and after you reach a certain number of "approvals" then you get an "applause"

.....say if a post gets more than 20 stars, they get converted to 1 applause or something of that nature.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I always thought we should be able to give one awesome post a day,a nd one"your post is the worst" a day.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf
reply to post by Domo1
reply to post by beezzer

Power corrupts. People with the power to applaud and elevate someone's status are going to act the same way most do about stars. Only handing it out when someone agrees. I star people that I disagree with all the time. I just don't think the majority would do anything but elevate people they agreed with. Then again I have no idea how much applause everyone has so I guess it doesn't matter.

Only handing it out when someone agrees....."

Maybe we’re making a bit of a generalization here Domo.

Obviously most people are probably going to hand out applause to people who are posting topics which they resonate with. Why, because for starters most people hang out in the forums that interest them. Secondly, we are not machines who measure thread or post quality purely from one set of rules or guidelines.

I would like to think that as in what I’m proposing one only gets a very limited number of these ‘Member Applauses’, one would still reserve them for posts or threads of high quality.

But lets assume for a moment that you are completely right and the ‘Member Applause’ system is completely open to abuse. Let’s just see how that would play out......

Just say for a moment we had two members who weren’t actually here to learn new things and interact with people who shared similar views to them; or debate with those who challenged their beliefs and pointed out the flaws therefore helping the members fine tune their thoughts processes. These two guys were corrupt, seeking to topple ATS once they had ammassed enough followers and form there own little clique of pure and unadulterated evil. For the sake of the example I’ll call them ‘Domo1’ and ‘Beezzer’.

Now these two guys instead of focusing on the to most obvious member scoring systems which are open to abuse – ‘Flagging’ which actually draws both member and nonmember traffic to one’s thread and therefore throws the spotlight on the person who wrote it, and ‘Starring’ which is an imediate visual guide as to a post’s popularity.These two denizens of the abyss decide to focus on the newly implemented system of member flagging which cannot actually be seen unless one were to click on another members profile and doesn’t actually contribute to anything except a very small line under the ‘Staff Applause’ showing the number of ‘Member Applauses’ one has received....

It was a dark and foreboding day, the type one only ever sees in the opening credits of an English murder mystery series. Slowly out of the swirling sunless mist, two figures began to emerge, walking rapidly yet methodically toward a fate even the god's hastened to foretell...

“Have the preparations been finalised Beezzer?”

“I...I think so Domo. Just let me get this straight, I’ll send all my Applause to you, you’ll send all your Applause to me, and the small amount of points we gain from each Applause, plus all those points we get from our numerous posts filled with wit and humor that one only gains through years of posting comments regarding how the radiation emanating from Nibiru is actually causing the fluroride level in our drinking water to increase or how Obamacare is actually being implemented under direct orders from the Galactic Federation as beamed directly into the President's pineal gland will make us completely unstoppable."

“That’s right my floppy eared friend. Pretty soon we’ll have nearly a million ATS points between us. Nothing can stand in our way”

*cue evil laughter from Domo, ‘giggity giggity’ from Beezzer*

“Okay, between us we now have 1, 000, 073 points total. So that would mean its now time to implement phase 2 of our plan right?”

“That’s right my sad little bunnykins”

“So what actually is phase two?”

“Well we take all these points we’ve amassed and um.... um.... yeah. Look, I’ll have to get back to you on that one”

“Does that mean I don’t get no applesauce.....?”

edit on 26/7/2012 by 1littlewolf because: Spelling

I KNEW those to were up to something!!!

..... can I join in??

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

You've captured my dark nature perfectly.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

You've captured my dark nature perfectly.

It was almost too easy...

edit on 26/7/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join