It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member Applause

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I’m of the opinion that anything that can increase the net positivity in this world has to be a good thing, especially if it a relatively easy to implement.

I really like the mod feature of applause, although I reckon that it’s probably a little underutilised. I think experienced members (e.g 200+ posts) should also be able to applaud other members. Probably they should not have an unlimited amount of applauses like I assume the mods do (otherwise it would become quite meaningless), but possibly every 500 points a member gains he/she could also gain the ability to award one applause to another member.

This would be a great way for one to really show a member that you think their thread/post is absolutely outstanding; it would be a lot more personal than the anonymous starring system; and probably go a long way toward combating the general trolling, negativity and sniping that one often sees especially amongst newer members.

Whether or not the system would be based on member points or something else would obviously have worked out. But now that one has no need to ‘buy’ avatars or colours or access to various secret forums it seems that the whole ATS points system has become pretty meaningless. So in lieu of receiving a free ATS t-shirts and coffee mugs from SO, this would also be a really good way of making ATS points actually worth something again.

Hopefully the ATS staff would not be too chagrined by giving away a little slice of the pie (possibly member awarded applause could be worth significantly less ATS points than staff applause), but instead see it for what it could potentially be. A way to increase the net positivity here on ATS, a way to personally congratulate a fellow member on an great job done and a means to increase the great relationships that one often builds here with other members.

Keen to hear what everyone thinks.

1littlewolf

edit on 25/7/2012 by 1littlewolf because: spelling

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Positivity is always a good thing!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well,what good would it do to give the little people(the ones who contribute and keep this site going) that kind of power?

Heavy sarcasm.
edit on 25-7-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Spending my ATS point to applause member
is a GREAT IDEA

It will send a refreshing wave through all ATS community
i think the site admin still are trying to find a better system
for the ATS points and the applause system

i believe this would be a very positive new improvement
that will become very popular
we already know the stars and flags systems is very popular
the new applause system would be the cherry on the cake lol
the site would then see an increase of visits and new member

that was my 2 cents
great idea Op

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Rather than a number of posts - perhaps you could give as many applauses as you have received from staff?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Yeah well, I'm positive that positivity is a positive thing. So, where's my frikkin applause?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
No, please no. For a couple of reasons. One, I've seen some of the most bizarrely stupid threads get more flags than the United Nations. Two, there are people who take fairly extreme positions and have a relatively small number of people who seem to pop up as if on call to flag and star the heck out of things.

We already have two ways for members to show approval, in addition to U2Us. I'd like the Mods to have one reserved to them in the hopes that it will be a balanced and well regarded reward.

If the suggestion is to create a whole new category of "Member Applause," as opposed to regular applause, we will be only creating another popularity award like the star and flag.

Unnecessary, misleading, or both.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Yeah well, I'm positive that positivity is a positive thing. So, where's my frikkin applause?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
No, please no. For a couple of reasons. One, I've seen some of the most bizarrely stupid threads get more flags than the United Nations. Two, there are people who take fairly extreme positions and have a relatively small number of people who seem to pop up as if on call to flag and star the heck out of things.

We already have two ways for members to show approval, in addition to U2Us. I'd like the Mods to have one reserved to them in the hopes that it will be a balanced and well regarded reward.

If the suggestion is to create a whole new category of "Member Applause," as opposed to regular applause, we will be only creating another popularity award like the star and flag.

Unnecessary, misleading, or both.

you have a point.... as good lookin as I am, everybody would give all their applause to me, then I'd get a big head and have to post more and more....shew, that's a lot of work!!

(It is good for the mods to have certain priveldges beyond what we have though :up

I guess we can just post the applause pic when we think something's great!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
is a GREAT IDEA

that was my 2 cents
great idea Op

Aren't stars and flags applause enough? I want a laugh button. Sometimes a reply is so funny, but there's really no need to reply to it. So, right under the line where the stars are posted I'd like a laugh line. Like this:

edit on 7/25/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I,for one ,would love to find a way to get rid of my points because as it stands,they are useless.
Whats the point of having them if you can't share them,right?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Here's your applause big guy.

BTW, it seems great minds think alike.

Proposal for member generated applause

Not that it ever went anywhere.

I'd gladly spend my ATS points to reward a member for a great post. Its not like there's anything else we can do with them.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Aren't stars and flags applause enough? I want a laugh button. Sometimes a reply is so funny, but there's really no need to reply to it. So, right under the line where the stars are posted I'd like a laugh line. Like this:

ok, that's such a good idea that I'm gonna give it a star, half a flag, clap with one hand, stand on my had and flap my wings!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Rather than a number of posts - perhaps you could give as many applauses as you have received from staff?

Spot on...

Admin...make it happen.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Unless it comes from the same individual day-in and day-out, taking away any true semblance of a meaningful accolade.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Unless it comes from the same individual day-in and day-out, taking away any true semblance of a meaningful accolade.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Thank you Sir...

BTW - some accolades are better than others...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Unless it's me....cuz then you don't know what personality it's coming from!!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Well,what good would it do to give the little people(the ones who contribute and keep this site going) that kind of power?

Heavy sarcasm.
edit on 25-7-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

Oh no!
you didn't....just type that....!
You're a 'glass of power is half full', kinda person ancha?
___ ___ ___ ___

Can I request a 'boo' button please?

(snort!)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
is a GREAT IDEA

that was my 2 cents
great idea Op

Then people would complain about having "laugh-lines"

Sorry, old people joke.

But I really like this idea.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join