It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions on my next handgun purchase?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

That's a one in a million scenario. More likely some kids are over. They find the gun and it blows one of there heads off.
and if I found that gun I'm keepin it! Finders keepers losers wheepers

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Can any American here tell me why they don't carry:

A sword
A knife
A crossbow
A longbow
A baseball bat
A catapult

Or any other weapon down the street with them, after all, you have the right to bear arms?

Or is it because the gun is easy to conceal, easy to whip out in a surprise, and definitely kills someone should you wish to do it?

I do carry a knife, A Sword is impractical, a Crossbow is unwieldy, A longbow takes too long to knock and fire, a baseball bat can't be used in confined spaces, I don't know how to acquire or maintain a catapult.

I can very effectively kill you with all of those though, so I'm not sure what your point is. If I wanted to I could kill you with most things I get my hands on if it was my intent to do so. I'm the weapon, those things you listed are tools.

The reason I carry a firearm is because should I DECIDE to use lethal force, I want to do it in the fastest, most surprising and violent way that I practically can, because if I'm using deadly force then someone else is actively making an attempt on my life or my family.

I don't know why that is hard for you to understand, I'm not going to dance around with a guy that's got a knife out and coming towards me, I'm not going to think "Oh, well he only has a knife, let me pull out my knife and we'll knife fight like in the movies" News Flash, that # doesn't happen, the truth is most people don't know they're in a knife fight until the knife is in them, "Knife Assasination" is a more valid term.

I have the feeling that most people on this forum that are "Anti-Gun rights" have never had an up close encounter with violence, I'd say 90% of the men haven't had a fist fight since they've been an adult. I also have a feeling that many people have a romanticised view of how violence takes place due to movies and media. I'm not advocating fighting, as a civilised and socially well adjusted adult you should be able to sort things out with your words, but there are times when the other party may not respond to logic & reason for various reasons (Chemical/emotional/psychologicall) don't make the mistake of thinking that the person with the knife out has the same values you do regarding human life.

I've seen the aftermath of shootings and stabbings, blunt force traumas, etc...I've seen good people die as well as bad, people that had it coming as well as innocent, I'm not surprised anymore by the evil that humans do to one another, please don't be naive enough to believe that your high moral ground will protect you & please don't think that since your life has been a certain way thus far that it will continue doing so.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

reply to post by Alena Michelle

Mmmm? Let me see.

I have spent 38 years on this planet without the need for a gun.

I have been mugged.

I have been robbed.

I have been beaten up.

I still don't need a gun, because, and here's the kicker.......I DON'T WANT TO SHOOT ANYBODY!!

That is the difference between you and I.

You would because you own a gun.

I wouldn't because I don't own a gun.

Plus I don't live in that f* up country of yours, at least when I fight, it's fair........Harden up

SO you've been victimized A LOT and have been lucky enough that the other person decided not to kill you, you basically hoped that if you comply, they'll only take your belongings and not your life...That's a pretty sound plan you have there. I SERIOUSLY hope you don't have a wife or kids...

"At least when I fight, It's fair"... that'll look real nice on your tombstone. #1 I'd tell you to move from wherever it is you live, it sounds pretty violent... and #2 If you should have to get into a "fight" how do you know it's fair?... did you have a contract that the two of you mutually agreed to before said "fight" or did you not notice the gentleman you were fighting "fair" pull out the shiv & stick it into your kidney once you got him on his back.

If you have some aggression, go to a boxing gym, go take some kickboxing or BJJ classes...in a place where BOTH of you are sure of a fair fight, or maybe have some friggin situational awareness and stop floating through life unaware of the glaring indicators infront of you that things are about to go south....because whatever you're doing, it seems it's not working out for you.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

200 lbs. is pretty big. I can see being worried about it. Those tusks get sharp don't they? I think I watched a show with some dogs hunting hogs that were wearing kevlar. And yes of course Americans only like guns for shooting people. It's the wild West. Yippee something something mother snippet!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Guns are fun, they are a tool used for other things than just killing people...things like.....

Hunting
Fishing
Opening your beer
A Hammer
Paper weight
Door stop
Lock circumvention device
Self Defence
Meat tenderizer
Rape Deterrent
Low budget organ transplant/removal
Bowel evacuator
Low budget enema
A boat anchor
And
killing people

So you see, there are many wonderful uses for a firearm, they're not just for taking lives.

own one today, your not cool unless you do...and the chicks love em.....

Seriously, if the whole world to include armies threw them into the ocean, then i might consider getting rid of mine..until that happens..I like a even playing field around some who have no compunction shooting me for their own selfish desires.

Reality is great isnt it...and traveling as much as you do...im surprised your not on the back of a milk carton somewhere. unless you only go to safe parts of the world that is.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I swear...that statement you made is great...im in love.....I bet you can peck a knat off a buffalos hiney from 200 yards....am I right?

The world needs more women like you.....armed that is.....

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

reply to post by Aliensdoexist

And there it is...............the "A" typical response from an American that does not understand how stupid he has just made himself look?

Really? Gosh you really are an educated chap aren't you? I would love to know what you do for a living, seriously I would, I bet you fit the profile.

Please, don't waste your time telling me what I can and can't do. This is an open forum so I shall say what I like. Remember what WWW stands for, that's right, nothing to do with America, you may wish to consider that when you try to give me an educated response.

There is a big world out there my friend, one without guns! You are a minority. It's people like you that make America what it is............a dangerous place.

Here's a tip, sell your guns and go back to school. Re-educate yourself and make a difference.
edit on 26-7-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

I didn't want to go there yet you leave me little choice.

I'm 5'11" and 235 lbs....I have a black belt in kempo and kung shai do. i've had both informal and formal combat training for both armed and unarmed response. At one time i worked as policy enforcement and for uncle sam in my youth and studied physics and advanced chem in school with a 98% GPA average then later went on to applied engineering.

I currently work in mathmatical statistics and financial auditing....so im not a dumbass..and that also means im not a dumbass when it comes to the world in general. I've been to many countries and many other states in the US for both work and pleasure.

And you know what? I've been shot at, stabbed, thrown, dusted, run down, beat up...and your right all of those times i didn't need a gun...but man i sure wish I had one at the time. it would have saved me from many surgeries and it would have definately evened the odds a bit.

But im no idiot, not by far. You do not bring a knife to a gun fight plain and simple. you want to complain about America being dangerous? Ever go to Africa..ya know the fun parts? How bout the middle east...ya know the fun parts....you think they care about gun control? You think they care that you care?

The world in itself is a dangerous place friend, not just America. And while i can take care of myself with much ease without one....sometimes nothing else will do when your backs in a corner..Like my jarheaded brother pointed out..you can be a victim, or you can take control of the situation and in return you life.

But do not push an opinion on another without the proper common frame of reference, and theres no need to lower your self to insult another when you don't even know that persons life journey and where it has taken them. Everyone is different. if you hate guns so much...leave the thread.

On topic: I think you should buy a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag w/ a 4 inch barrel..nothing says pee yer pants like one of them.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by scorpiosin

I'm trying to stay in the 1000-1300 for both price range.

You have a pretty good selection if you're going up to $1300!

To my knowledge, both the XD and CZ would be high quality purchases. As for .45 vs 9mm.....it's whatever you are most comfortable with. If you can, I would suggest you go to your local shooting range and rent a few of the handguns you are thinking about buying.

As for me....I dont have that amount of cash to spend. If you were in the $400 (ish) range, I would reccomend the Sig 2022. I posted a review thread about my 2022 in .40 cal if you want to check it out. www.abovetopsecret.com...

ETA - I would also look up some reviews by "nutnfancy" or "hickok45" on the firearm you are considering buying. They both do pretty in-depth reviews.
edit on 26-7-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Hmm 9mm? Two of my dream guns, the Zigana T or the Zigana Sports. They look and certainly ARE badass but you Might just have to travel to Karachi to get one, or Turkey... But would be worth it. Will get them one day!!

.45? I'd say Heckler&Koch USP pistols. Love the Match ( Lara Croft obsession...) But their price tripled after the movies so I guess the Mark 23 or Tactical would make more sense... just my 2 cents.

Why the *beeep* can't somebody just post anything at all anywhere which is even remotely related to firearms without hordes of pacific extremists coming to talk *beeep* about guns killing people!

Really for *beeep*'s sake, Guns don't kill people, People do. Somebody walking in a cinema theatre with a machine gun and another with a Molotov cocktail would achieve the same result, in the same amount of time! Then what, ban Gasoline and the like? You're willing to go to the supermarket in Horse carts?

Sorry guys but the OP just wanted our opinions, and half the post were about why he had guns... that *beeeped* me off -.-"

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
You should look into the Smith and Wesson M&P, (M&P stands for Military and Police) its a very good all around gun, smooth, nice trigger pull, and not too pricey. Ive shot Glocks very nice, Ive shot Kel tecs, slightly too light for the recoil, Ive shot Desert Eagles, depending on the caliber, very good gun a little to heavy for my liking, I cant say ive shot an XD, they are popular. when it comes to the caliber, really the 9mm or the 45cal are very good calibers, the 45 is going to put the bad guy on his ass, the 9mm wont do as much damage, but will still send a very powerful message. Alot of very good guns out there, alot of good people out there, a few idiots give guns a bad wrap, the gun wont pull its own trigger, for all you people out there that make out guns to be the problem, nope just the operators of those guns. anyways good luck OP in your buying.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Like what? Buy vinyl siding? Oh, I get it. Being an adult means depending on the Police to defend you, your family and your property when you become the victim of a crime. That and yelling;"Please dont hurt me Mr.Criminal I am unarmed." Seems to me the OP is doing the adult thing by investing in his own security and right to not become a victim.
Apparently you are an anti-gun person. Please post your name, address, state of residence and a photo. That way if Im ever in your area and you are the victim of a violent crime I dont use my guns to defend you. You know, out of respect for your wishes.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Attention Please ..

The topic is:

Opinions on my next handgun purchase?

It is not about gun control, gun rights, etc.

Please focus ALL further replies on the Actual Topic of this discussion.

Thank You

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The first restriction after they pass the UN Treaty (assuming ratification) will be to restrict the import of firearms by foreign manufacturers. So I would buy a foreign gun as their value will remain firm (parts in the future will be an issue tho if you shoot a lot). The next consideration is the calibre. FWIW, the DHS has ordered 100s of millions of rounds of .40 s&w. That round has the best of both characteristics of the 9mm and ,45 in terms of ballistics (velocity x bullet wt) and without sacrificing the # of rounds that is required in a .45 acp. Military purists like the .45 and 9mm but I think that domestic LE has it right on this issue. (For those that dont know the .40 is a shorter version of the 10mm round that was originally created for the FBI.)
edit on 26-7-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Okay, so first of all, I stopped reading because the whole 'guns are bad' and 'yay guns' argument was annoying. That said, I wanted to chime in, so sorry if I'm repeating anything someone else may have already said.

I know that in the past Ruger has sort of a mixed reviews but I have an SR40C, and I absolutely love it. I've put only about 500 rounds through it at the range, but I have not had one problem with it. It's a little "stiff" when I first used it, but as it 'breaks in', it becomes a real joy to fire. I would't trade it for anything, and it's small enough for everyday carry.

As far as the 9mm, I have a Beretta 92FS. It's not great for carry because it's so big (in my opinion, as a female). It's nice to shoot, especially after I've been firing my Ruger! LOL. Very minimal recoil, this gun was sort of my starter. It's super easy to shoot. It has jammed once in about 2000 rounds.

I don't know if any of that helped or not, but I just love my Ruger and wanted to share!

SR40C

Beretta

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Do you carry now? What size is the pistol you carry?

Springfield just released a single stack XD in .45 that's slightly smaller than the Glock 36 and just a hair larger than the PF-9 and the LC9.

A local shop has one in stock and I spent a good hour and a half fondling and drooling over it.

Tried it with different holsters the shop had and it was as comfortable as my TCP in my pocket.

I'm going to pick it up sometime next month funds permitting.

SM2

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
In my opinion, I would say get the .45acp over the 9mm. It's the difference between a draft horse (the .45) and a shetland pony (9mm). Though that is just my 2 cents. The .45 has a ton more stopping power. That being said, it does come down to what you are most comfortable with. If you are interested in reliability and safety, take a serious look into a 1911, I know they don't have the cool factor that all the polymer guns have these days, but as an everyday carry, the 1911 carried in condition 1 (loaded, cocked and locked) is about the safest firearm.
It's got the regular hammer safety and also has the grip safety, no way it can go off unless it is intentional.

There are several companies that make concealed carry 1911. Kimber is one that has a nice "carry melt" feature that removes all the sharp corners. Para makes a nice one, Sig Sauer and springfield are great, and if you want to stay way below your budget, Rock Island Armory makes a really nice 1911 GI that costs below $500. One thing to remember about a 1911, the manufacturer does not matter all that much, as they are all the same internally, with the exeption that the higher end ones have some better fit and finish. Internally, they are all pretty much the same, Almost all parts from say a Colt will fit a Sig, Kimber, Wilson, Dan Wesson STI etc. As long as they are the same model. The models being 5" referred to as the 1911 government, then the commander which is a 4" model

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Lot's of great info in this thread...wondering if I can piggyback a question?

I have been considering my first gun purchase for a few months now, have shot a few in the past, and always admired them from afar, but have never owned one.

Have been looking at the Ruger Mark III, I know, small caliber, but as a first pistol, not so worried about that, plus...I just love the looks of it, always have. Also, since this will be my first, not looking to spend a ton of money.

Thoughts on this gun? Thoughts on any others for a first time purchase?

SM2

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by BigFrigginAl

Personally, I have always recommended a smaller revolver for a first handgun purchase. Something like a .38 revolver. Find one that is actually a .357/.38 that way you can step up to the .357 magnum when you want to . A revolver has simplicity working for it. It cant jam, it cant misfeed, if you are in a situation where it is needed, and you have a dud round, you just pull the trigger again. An automatic pistol however, any of the above you would have to clear the breech and reload. Just something to think about. I recently bought my wife a Taurus .357/.38 brand new for the $400 price range, and it's actually a very nice gun.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Heckler Koch USP 40 with the extended round magazine. Awesome weapon.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BigFrigginAl

A good thing about the Mark's is they'll grow with you.

Out of the box it's a good plinker and great for practicing the fundamentals.

If you decide to take it up a notch a drop-in Volquartsen trigger and a match barrel and you'll have a world class pistol for competitions.

They can be a bitch to clean but you'll get used to it.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join