It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions on my next handgun purchase?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So this is my first thread, so be kind

All of this talk of guns has made me want to purchase a few more. Somehow I managed to wind up with no 9mm and no .45 ACP in my current collection and I am wanting to remedy that situation.

After days of research and changing my mind and more research and changing my mind again, I think I've decided what I want to pick up and wanted to see if anyone here could give a thumbs up or thumbs down to my choices due to personal experience or suggest something better in the same price range.

I'd like to get something quality of course, and the highest capacity I can without excessive weight, especially in the one I will most likely carry. I'd like to be able to carry one of them because I don't really love carrying any of my current handguns for various reasons. And I think I'd rather carry the .45, just because it's a .45
I'm trying to stay in the 1000-1300 for both price range.

I was thinking for the .45 ACP, Springfield XD Compact, Stainless/OD combo. And I think I want to use this one as my concealed carry piece.

For the 9mm I kept going back and forth between tons of options, but I decided on the CZ P 07 because I currently have an old CZ 82 that I love and I read a lot of good things about the accuracy of the gun.

I welcome any input!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Personally have two XD pistols, 9mm and 45mm.

Never had a single problem with either, have probably put atleast 1000 rounds through each, min.

interesting note on the XD 9mm, if your in a clip restrictive state, like ca... I hear the 40mm 10 round clip fits in it...

supposedly adds more ammo count to it... supposedly...
edit on 25-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
How about be an adult and do something useful with your money??

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I am loving the .45 ACP myself. I definitely wouldn't mind adding that one to mine. Did you win the lottery or are you just stocking up?
Only teasing. Both are nice. But I do love the .45 more.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Yeah I've been debating on just getting matching ones in .45 and 9mm. Do you like the safety system? Do you like carrying yours?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Ive used my 45acp Springfield in a self defense situation.

Its a good reliable gun.

All though I am greatly interested in the FN5X7, the idea of a mini rifle cartridge in a handgun intrigues me.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Just got rid of a SW Sigma .40

I didn't like the feel of it or the way it shot at all.

I recently purchased a Sig Sauer chambered in .45 caliber and I love it.
Got a pretty good deal at a local dealer as well. I found that the .45 was a bit heavier and can sometimes be a hindrance as a daily carry weapon but I am getting used it and barely know it's there anymore.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by scorpiosin

Im in ca, so to carry mine it has to be locked up in my car, or in my home.

I have the older models, one of the first ones when they where released I believe, the safety thing may scare some as there is no traditional safety, though I know on the military and police spec there is.

Mine has the grip safety and the trigger, basically you have to hold the gun firmly and have the intention to pull the trigger.

It wont fire with out the grip being held firmly, works fine.

I added laser sites to both, they make them that replaces the part that holds the spring inside the gun, so no external add ons.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

No, no, just wanting to grab a couple more in case the process starts getting more complicated anytime soon. With the Small Arms Treaty looming and all of the anti-gun sentiment I'd just like to have a more well-rounded collection

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

Thank you for the financial advice.
There could be a time and situation when these could prove quite useful, so I believe this to be a responsible purchase.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I've got a Springfield xd 40 compact I love it but it can be a little heavy and bulky for everyday carry. I'm planningon getting the new Springfield xds 45 its smaller lighter and easier to conceal.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

No, no, just wanting to grab a couple more in case the process starts getting more complicated anytime soon. With the Small Arms Treaty looming and all of the anti-gun sentiment I'd just like to have a more well-rounded collection

Im moving to Oregon in late august, IM tempted to stock up on all the nice guns CA doesn't allow...

Now i just have more incentive too.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I have an XD .45 compact that will be my carry weapon. With the extended mag I can fit thirteen in her and she fires like a champ. The overall functionallity is amazing. I can accuratley double tap with it no problem. I also have never had a single malfunction and have put a few thousand rounds through it so far. Although I shoot 235 grain full metal jackets. Never fired hollow points so I can't comment on any issues with those but I have never heard of problem from anyone who has one. I even know a guy who shoots comp with one. My next purchase which will be soon is a Springfield Mil-Spec .45 1911. I just love .45s. Probably will never buy anything smaller.

Also they do come with thumbs safetys as an option. I chose not to have a thumb safety as I have been handling firearms since I was big enough to hold them. I think the heel and trigger safteys work just fine as long as you are a responsible user.
edit on 25/7/12 by usmc0311 because: added material.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Ive used my 45acp Springfield in a self defense situation.

Its a good reliable gun.

All though I am greatly interested in the FN5X7, the idea of a mini rifle cartridge in a handgun intrigues me.

I have a small revolver and a .762 right now as far as hand guns go. I am fortunate to have never had to use either in a self defense situation though. I hope I never have to.

It seems like a good size for CC and I am currently in the market to purchase one soon for just that purpose. I will definitely keep your post in mind while shopping around.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

Take your anti gun BS elsewhere.

How about you be an adult and let people spend the money they earned the way they wish to.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by scorpiosin

I hear that for sure. I do think it's about to get a lot more complicated if not darn near impossible in the near future to obtain any kind of firearm. We have all the shotguns and rifles we need. Like you, we are in the market for another one or two handguns "just in case" as finances allow of course.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Thanks for the info on the safety. Yeah I was a little put off by it at first, but it seems like it is actually a good system and would be very effective in preventing and accidental discharges.

Those FNs do look very interesting, I'd like to shoot one of those. My friend has an FNP-45 and he loves it, and I've shot it a few times and love the way it shoots. I was debating on that one, but I like the size of the Springfield. I really like that style of laser too.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Reply to post by scorpiosin

Ok then ignore the financial question. You already have two guns. Why do you need more? You can already carry the ones you have and you were not thinking about buying another one until the issue of guns came up. Whats the point? Lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Thought id throw this in.

I also have a S&W 500...

Its ridiculous, I mean just an amazingly powerful gun.

its about the length from the tip of my index finger almost to my elbow...

If your out of ammo you could always use it as a club.

The man my brother bought his car from had that as his CCW, I was amazed someone would use that beast as a CCW...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Ok then ignore the financial question. You already have two guns. Why do you need more? You can already carry the ones you have and you were not thinking about buying another one until the issue of guns came up. Whats the point? Lol

you know what, NONE OF US ARE SOLEY BUYING THE GUN TO KILL.

I bought my gun as a hobby...

Most of us probably did, I like going to shoot, its really fun, you should try it before you write it off completely.

Im tired of this thought that all americans are itching to just shoot someone...
edit on 25-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join