It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Meets Their First Lady

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Always secretive and mysterious, NK and its leader seem to be a little more open to the public these days but is it all show? Or is it an attempt at softening Global Relations and easing tensions?
www.nytimes.com...

SEOUL, South Korea — She was first spotted at a gala concert for the country’s who’s who, dressed in a trim black suit in the Chanel tradition. Then she popped up at a kindergarten, trailing photographers who caught images of her smiling gently at children clambering up a slide. Her latest appearance, at the inauguration of an amusement park, was yet another star turn: the cameras zooming in on the slim woman with the easy smile and fashionable polka-dot jacket.

Some say that he's trying to break the style of his father. At least this wife was introduced to the public.

The fact that Ms. Ri was introduced publicly at all was considered significant, the latest sign for North Korea analysts that Mr. Kim was breaking from the leadership style of his father, a dour man who was known for marrying beautiful performers but who never introduced them to his people.

Hopefully it's a sign of coming to the World stage in a more approachable and diplomatic manner but who knows.

Kim Jong-un has already shown a pattern of being more open and engaging. He appears to enjoy public events and interacting with children and the common soldier. Many of these recent appearances look like a re-enactment of his grandfather’s mingling with the people in better times.”

This sums it up nicely.

“It would put some of his new policies into the context of a North Korean version of Camelot,” Mr. Park said. “A dynamic and charismatic first lady could be very helpful in creating this image of Camelot. It’s definitely an uphill battle, but this image could generate some initial momentum.”

We can only hope. Stranger things have happened lately.

ETA:

After talking to my wife (Korean) she found this statement very promising as she grew up in an atmosphere of fear, propaganda and constant threats from the North'

Mr. Kim has reportedly made a few substantive changes, including publicly acknowledging some failures that his father and grandfather would almost certainly have hidden. Amid debilitating food shortages, he has mentioned a “food problem” and vowed to fix it, and he admitted that an important rocket launching was a bust. He is also reported to be backing a program to allow hundreds of North Koreans to work in China to bring in much needed foreign currency, a risky plan that could expose many more of his countrymen to the world after years of a virtual information blackout.

And it's true. He has made these steps and concessions. But the question always remains of it being show or truth. Remember, this kid just came to power and he can go either way.

What I found even more interesting in the article is the question of whether or not the women play an important role at the top. I can guarantee you they sure as hell do in the South. The Grandmother also...rules all. The men just don't admit it but I have seen many of them being berated by their mother in laws, mothers and soon...their wives. Very interesting.

It is also a matter of dispute how important the wives and female companions of North Korean leaders are. Confidential cables released by WikiLeaks suggested that at least one source for American government analysts thought the women played an important role. (One cable by the consulate in Shanghai quotes that source as saying that a woman close to Kim Jong-il was “extremely powerful” and the person who decided who had access to him.)

Anyways, there is a longer story there but I'll stop it there.

Peace

edit on 25-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I saw this before and the first thing that struck me was the young lady's strong resemblance to the news anchor that started crying on NK state television when news of Kim Jong-Il's death was announced.

It seems to be in plain sight but none of the media is picking up on it.

It would be a logical choice on Jong-Un's part.

She has looks, patriotism and believes the propaganda.

Give her a different haircut and an air of mystery and suddenly she is an unknown quantity.

edit on 25/7/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
I saw this before and the first thing that struck me was the young lady's strong resemblance to the news anchor that started crying on NK state television, when news of Kim Jong-Il's death was announced.

It seems to be in plain sight but none of the media is picking up on it.

Never noticed.

Can you bring in the pics so we can compare?

Thanks

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Maybe we're in the process of seeing a "kinder, gentler," North Korea.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Maybe we're in the process of seeing a "kinder, gentler," North Korea.

Who knows...

If he married a real Ball Breaker and she wants peace...she will get peace or sonny ain't gettin' any piece...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The happy couple
she looks like a nice lady. But what is that UFO doing in the background . Secret tech no doubt

edit on 25-7-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

This is amazing but I can't find the video anywhere. There is only the video of the older reporter in a Kimono.

Was I imagining it?

Nope....I managed to find a different recording of the same reporter I was referring to....skip to 1:38

Can anyone translate for us please? Just the name of the reporter.

We may not be able to make a connection if an identity was created, but at least we can rule it out if the reporter is still active.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
reply to post by jude11

This is amazing but I can't find the video anywhere. There is only the video of the older reporter in a Kimono.

Was I imagining it?

Nope....I managed to find a different recording of the same reporter I was referring to....skip to 1:38

Can anyone translate for us please? Just the name of the reporter.

We may not be able to make a connection if an identity was created, but at least we can rule it out if the reporter is still active.

It doesn't look like the same person as the reporter looks older IMO.

But TV does that.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join