It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobs Program Spent $76,000 Per Person To Help Youth Find Minimum Wage Jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Breitbart article
July 25, 2012

Jobs Program Spent $76,000 Per Person To Help Youth Find Minimum Wage Jobs

Here we have another report of "official" misconduct, ineptitude, and administrative corruption.

It gets worse by the day...not to even consider expensive !!

Big money getting pocketed by this boondoggle.

A new jobs training oversight report by Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) found that a federally-funded Oklahoma Job Corps program spent around $76,000 per person to help youth secure minimum wage jobs.

The report, released Tuesday, comes 18 months after a Government Accountability Office (GAO) report that found that billions of taxpayer dollars are being poured into job training programs that benefit those who run them, not the unemployed workers they are supposed to assist.

"Taxpayers should be appalled Congress has done nothing to reform these programs for more than 18 months," said Sen. Coburn.

Key findings included:

• Wasteful administrative costs are eating up job training dollars. In one program, just 14 cents of every dollar went to actual job training.

• Questionable spending abounds. For example, the Job Corps program spent $36,000 on flowers and billboards. Other expenditures included bowling trips and recreational activities that had little to do with job training.

• Some job training programs appear to segregate participants by race, gender, and background. For example, Oklahoma's 40 job training programs have eight that target Native Americans and seven for veterans--"some of which require veterans to pursue training for 'green skills,' not because of labor market analysis but because politicians in Washington are imposing ideological agendas on states."

:shk:

The "Report"

(WASHINGTON, D.C.) – U.S. Senator Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-OK) released an oversight report today on job training programs in Oklahoma entitled, “What Works (and What Doesn’t): The Good, Bad and Ugly of Federal Job Training in Oklahoma.” This report was the result of an exhaustive year-long review of job training programs in Oklahoma that included 70 field interviews and meetings with officials. The report follows last year’s groundbreaking study from the Government Accountability Office that found taxpayers are spending $18 billion on 47 duplicative job training programs across 9 federal agencies. GAO could not find evidence that any of the job training programs were working. Since GAO released its report 18 months ago, the Senate has failed to consolidate, streamline or improve job training programs.

the full report

YOUR Tax Dollars at work !!

YouTube;
What Works (and Doesn't): The Good, Bad & Ugly of Federal Job Training in Oklahoma

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Heck, the government should just cut everyone a check instead of using it on useless programs and QE. I would go out and buy a brand new car and all sorts of goodies.

(and it wouldn't change anything in the long term, but hell, at least I would have a few new toys - might as well enjoy somethings before it all goes down the crapper)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Heck, the government should just cut everyone a check instead of using it on useless programs and QE. I would go out and buy a brand new car and all sorts of goodies.

(and it wouldn't change anything in the long term, but hell, at least I would have a few new toys - might as well enjoy somethings before it all goes down the crapper)

How true.

But they won't do it.

It would cut into their cronies' pockets too much

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
For the same amount they could have just paid 3 people for a year.

Management...fails...once again

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
You can pretend like it's Monopoly money when it isn't coming out of your pocket. The big guys have no clue how to budget. They have never had to struggle for anything a day in their lives. Get a single mom, working two jobs, to just live and I can guarantee you, that budget would be in tip top shape pretty quickly. Nobody cares how they waste the money, simply because it does not affect them at all IMO. They need to clean house.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This is total crap. Yes it's expensive, but Job Corps benefits everyone in the country by turning around a lot of juvenile delinquents and making them into responsible citizens. Job Corps also boosts local economies buy buying large quantities of supplies like food. Not only that but some of the training programs last up to a year so obviously it costs a lot to house, feed, clothe and train someone for that long. And a lot of them are getting good paying jobs, this guy is lying as usual.

These Oklahoma Republicans are asshats who want to make everyone dirt poor and on food stamps like their moronic constituents.
edit on 25-7-2012 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
It is all one huge corrupt circle. Unions, certain businesses pay for politicians political campaign, they expect a return on that investment - like Obama and Solyndra.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
This is total crap. Yes it's expensive, but Job Corps benefits everyone in the country by turning around a lot of juvenile delinquents and making them into responsible citizens. Job Corps also boosts local economies buy buying large quantities of supplies like food.

These Oklahoma Republicans are asshats who want to make everyone dirt poor and on food stamps like their moronic constituents.

have to add your edit cause that is quite funny:

Not only that but some of the training programs last up to a year so obviously it costs a lot to house, feed, clothe and train someone for that long.

Did anyone say that job training was a bad thing? Mismanagement of funds is - the article stated that 14 cents of every dollar actually went to training - the rest went to management. Did you even read the article or did you just press the Democrat outrage button?

House and feed these individuals? Hello, am I their parents? Why do I have to house and feed these people....geeze, wish they had this stuff when I was growing up - I didn't have anyone pay my way, I had to WORK hard to get by.
edit on 25-7-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Florida is seeing it's share of wasted tax dollars.

Unemployment name change

They just changed the name of the program from Unemployment to Re Employment Assistance Program. Ya apparently no one knew it was a program to get people back to work. They now have a recording every time you call explaining how Florida is the first state to do this because we want every one to know it's to help people get back to work. My issue is how much did this name change cost us? They changed the website, phone recordings, letterhead, I am sure there were a number of internal memos and maybe some retraining not to mention they sent everyone a letter to tell them the name was changing. Benefits and services didn't change at all just the name.

Our state is struggling to make ends meet but we are wasting our money on this? Government employees got laid off because there wasn't enough money to pay them. I hope they appreciate the name change when they apply for unemployment dill holes!

I hope you appreciate that I was angry enough about this to admit I am from Florida.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

edit on 25-7-2012 by Ladysophiaofsandoz because: Double post really someone must have been eating PB and J and got jam in the keyboard. Darn neighbor kids!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I wish I had $76,000. I'd use it to go to school and get a real edumacashun.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
This is total crap. Yes it's expensive, but Job Corps benefits everyone in the country by turning around a lot of juvenile delinquents and making them into responsible citizens. Job Corps also boosts local economies buy buying large quantities of supplies like food. Not only that but some of the training programs last up to a year so obviously it costs a lot to house, feed, clothe and train someone for that long. And a lot of them are getting good paying jobs, this guy is lying as usual.

edit on 25-7-2012 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

BUZZ !!

It's about the former and current "juvenile delinquents" that are administrating the programs !!!

Since when is mass organized theft of taxpayer money a "good" thing ???????
:shk:

No wonder the country is busted out.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz
Florida is seeing it's share of wasted tax dollars.

Unemployment name change

They just changed the name of the program from Unemployment to Re Employment Assistance Program. Ya apparently no one knew it was a program to get people back to work. They now have a recording every time you call explaining how Florida is the first state to do this because we want every one to know it's to help people get back to work. My issue is how much did this name change cost us? They changed the website, phone recordings, letterhead, I am sure there were a number of internal memos and maybe some retraining not to mention they sent everyone a letter to tell them the name was changing. Benefits and services didn't change at all just the name.

Our state is struggling to make ends meet but we are wasting our money on this? Government employees got laid off because there wasn't enough money to pay them. I hope they appreciate the name change when they apply for unemployment dill holes!

I hope you appreciate that I was angry enough about this to admit I am from Florida.

Good Post !!

It just goes to show how "assumptive" the chronic "unemployed" and / or (not so) Re-employable really must be !!

I wonder how many Million$ THAT cost to make the name change

I bet every crook in the State had their tongues hanging out for that deal !!

And the best part about all the corruption is:

Almost all the thieves have a higher education !!!!

Remember
The biggest financial collapses and lootings have been orchestrated by people with the highest college degrees !!
(bankers, accountants, lawyers, investment councilors, etc. etc. etc.)

edit on Jul-25-2012 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The over spending occurred at the state level? Did the state misused federal funding? And the state is run by what party?
edit on 25-7-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

"Taxpayers should be appalled Congress has done nothing to reform these programs for more than 18 months," said Sen. Coburn.

Senators, Representatives, Presidents, and even Justices love to refer to you and yours as "taxpayers". Not once, however, but twice, Congress statutorily defines the vaunted "taxpayer". This is who you are to them, a statutorily defined "taxpayer". People should be appalled that they have been hoodwinked into believing they are actually a "taxpayer". Some people no doubt are "taxpayers". Those subject to the applicable revenue laws are certainly "taxpayers". Are you a "taxpayer". Many members in this site will insist they are and just as easily admit they've never bothered to read the tax code they just "know" they are liable.

What if the vast majority of people who filing valid tax returns are not even liable for the tax because they are not a "taxpayer" and therefore not subject to the applicable revenue laws? What if a vast right and left wing conspiracy existed to convince the masses through a propaganda machine that they need not bother to read the tax code, and if they do they certainly need not assume they have the lawful authority to interpret what they're reading, and all should just accept on faith they are a "taxpayer" and as "taxpayers' they should be appalled at the constant waste and theft that is happening from the trillions of dollars they raise in revenue because people accept and believe what they've been told?

Yes, People should be appalled, very, very, very appalled.

new topics

top topics

join