It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Roadkill Experiment

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KillerQueen

I drive an SUV and avoid hitting animals as much as possible. I once accidentally killed a possum and was legitimately upset about it.

That said. Your questions.

It begs questions about beauty and worth. Of the animals most likely run over, the tarantulas didn't stand a chance. What if it had been a cat or a dog on the side of the road?

I believe, as expected, people who have a natural disgust toward spiders and are of the proclivity to be upset with themselves and their shortcomings (uncontrolled fear or distaste for their innate fear of spiders) will have reacted this way - by killing, hitting the spider with their SUV. These folks don't like spiders, but more to the point they don't like that spiders have control over them and they have a tool (SUV) to enact a revenge of sorts on their mortal enemy. They're likely not bad people, but taking a chance to repair their bruised identity. As for cats and dogs, I believe (or want to believe) that these spider-killing folks would not do that to domesticated animals because pets do not trigger the same fear/revenge response in them.

And it begs questions about affluence. Of those who chose to run over an animal, most of those were SUV owners. For purposes of discussion, I'm assuming SUV owners are at least slightly more affluent since it takes more to fill up an SUV gas tank.

That's an excellent observation. I don't have the answer, but I can postulate that more affluent folks are by design more likely to conquer their fears and have maybe reached success by always fixing their ego so they stay on the straight and narrow in their minds. The SUV is indicative of an American who is risen a bit further on the wealth ladder, so killing animals with their object of wealth (SUV) reaffirms they are in control of their fears while enacting revenge to repair their egos.

Anyways, I'm by no means a psychologist but I that's my take on this fascinating study in roadkill. Thanks for sharing!
edit on 26-7-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

There is some data that still needs to be disclosed to understand this study.

For one, what ist he percentage of SUV drivers that were in the test overall? Is 89% a close estimate of the number of SUV drivers?

And does it speak to SUV drivers being of a certain personality? Or that a car driver sees the risk of driving over a turtle?

the percentage of SUV drivers would be closely related to the overall percentage SUV drivers of the city or suburb. it wasn't a study where they were on a closed course. it was out on the open road. i guess it could be influenced by neighborhood. the 89% comes from taking the type of car that hit the animal and then figuring what percentage of that number were SUV's. of all the hits 89% of the hits were SUV's.

i do think SUV drivers tend to be certain types of people.... but i'm not saying all SUV drivers are mean.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I always try to avoid hitting anything...Except snakes. I will never swerve to avoid a snake. I usually don't try to hit them though. Usually I try to see them as best I can, trying to identify them or whatever, but will only hit them if they are in my way. But if I can I will try to miss turtles and mammals and whatnot...Dogs and deer and stuff, lol. I hit a deer about a year ago on accident, and it was crazy. I was on the highway, and the deer was in between the two one way roads where the grass was. I slowed to about 20 or 30 mph, as he was getting closer to the road. I slowed more to about 10 mph and he stopped right at the side of the road. I thought he was going to wait for me to pass, so I keep going. Right when I get to where he is standing on the shoulder, he jumps in front of my car. It didn't hurt my car, and kind of knocked him down. He got up and took off into some woods nearby. I don't know if I hurt him or not. Hopefully not. I learned that day that deer are pretty stupid, lol.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
did anyone actually watch the video? it was kind cute and funny. i like the part where animal control puts on heavy duty gloves to pick up the rubber turtle

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I got a critter guard on my jeep, it's primarily for deer, and no, I'm not swerving... I'll slow if possible, but no critter's gonn'a win with me on the road if it comes down to, and yea I'v stopped to take turtles off the road........ often, this is NC.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

Aww man, I wonder of the percentage that swerved to hit the critters, how many were male and how old were they?
I am guessing they were 95% male and between the ages of 16-30 maybe?
The question about dogs and cats makes me think that cats would still get hit becasue I have known and seen people that intentionally go out of the way or speed up to hit a cat. Coward punks if you ask me...

I'm not sure about the SUV thing, I would suspect the vehicle does not make much difference, it's a human(un) thing, not a car thing, imo.

edit on 25-7-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

I bet 99-100 male.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
Is 6% considered high? I guess for what the 6% intended to do, it is. This sort of reminds me of another survey where people who put garbage on the ground in front of a trash can to see how many people would throw it away. Most people just walked by it like nothing.

I have often picked up trash in these circumstances or even brought the garbage out of trails...but it is iffy and I can understand not.

That paper cup or can can have human urine in it...that paper could have snot from an ill person, without gloves it is ewy to doey

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

The video is funny, but I think the road creature killers need psych profiles because they may have knocked off a hitch hiker too!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
I always try to avoid hitting anything...Except snakes. I will never swerve to avoid a snake. I usually don't try to hit them though. Usually I try to see them as best I can, trying to identify them or whatever, but will only hit them if they are in my way. But if I can I will try to miss turtles and mammals and whatnot...Dogs and deer and stuff, lol. I hit a deer about a year ago on accident, and it was crazy. I was on the highway, and the deer was in between the two one way roads where the grass was. I slowed to about 20 or 30 mph, as he was getting closer to the road. I slowed more to about 10 mph and he stopped right at the side of the road. I thought he was going to wait for me to pass, so I keep going. Right when I get to where he is standing on the shoulder, he jumps in front of my car. It didn't hurt my car, and kind of knocked him down. He got up and took off into some woods nearby. I don't know if I hurt him or not. Hopefully not. I learned that day that deer are pretty stupid, lol.

We have often stopped to make sure a snake gets off the road, they deserve a life too.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I wanted to say that I actually feel better after reading most of these posts, because it's good to know that so many of you care about animals and want to avoid hurting them. Around here, we have a lot of squirrels and they tend to cross the streets a lot. I'm forever seeing a squirrel trying to get across the road and a car will be coming along and the person driving the car makes no effort to even slow down. So far, I haven't seen any actually get hit, but have seen a lot of close calls. I always wonder, what does it cost them to take their foot off the gas pedal for a second to allow the little critter time to safely cross the road? I know that they must see when a squirrel is in the middle of the road right in front of them but they seem oblivious. I'm not saying anyone should risk their lives or someone else's to avoid an animal, but good grief, just a little effort on their part would be nice! Anyway, I'm just glad and it does my heart good to know that so many of you feel the same way, so much so that I had to make my first post here on ATS to let you know that I appreciate your concern for animals, thank you!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tattooedlunchlady

My wife told me a little daydream type story she had while watching the squirrels one day and finding a dead one in the yard. We have a million of them here too, and sometimes they fall out of the trees and die, and sometimes big screech owls swoop down and snag one, LOL.

Anyway, I wrote her story for her, and Posted it Here.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

A very imaginative story and well written. I could really picture the squirrels in their little drama, very interesting! There are no rocks in north Florida? I didn't know that, we have rocks everywhere here in Michigan. Most of our squirrels are black here which I think is a little unusual, it seems most places have gray squirrels.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Seems like a good thread to share some relative experiences

So I have lived in this house in the country for several years and for 4 years I commuted 80 miles round trip, 5 days a week. I was on the roads during the dawn and dusk, which is often peak animal activity time, and I have encountered so many species of animals scootin' across those roads. I have had numerous close calls that scared the bejeebees outta me and the critter, and that was about it. I often saw them and had time to anticipate some options, so I would flash the lights, swerve the opposite direction, or come to an abrupt stop.

Well I found that honking the horn is the one thing that sends em' running the opposite way. SInce realizing this, it has worked like magic in dozens of instances. The challenge though is a speedy reaction upon seeing the animal.
Sometimes it is so quick, but I try and be a ninja honker, and make it a challenge to see how fast I can hit the horn upon seeing an animal in/by the road. Not to make light of the situation, but this has worked every time for me, so I hope it may work for some of you too.

Peace

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I hit animals on purpose even if they are in a fenced yard or on a leash. If it is already dead then they are even easier to hit and spread them across the road even more. Bunnies are the best. Deer are fun too but not direct hits because that can damage my big ass expensive truck. Better to strike the back end of the animal in this case to cripple it so it will still die because it is too injured to crawl from the road but also my car is relatively undamaged. Win win. Geese, and ducks as well as baby ducks are too easy, but I still run them down. Cats and dogs are harder to kill, they are smart. I have gotten a few cats though. The trick is to slowly sneak up on them and when you get close enough run over the middle of their body to paralyze them. They will die within an hour if not instantly. Dogs are tricky they don't like to run into the road so usually you have to jump curbs and run them down on the sidewalk. In the end they are all pretty straightforward, and easy to kill.

If you can kill a raccoon it is like double points because the are so rare. I have not killed one but at least crippled one but it managed to scurry off into woods... definitely knows it's been hit though that is for sure. Left a weak blood trail behind so I think it must have survived. Too bad

edit on 26-7-2012 by KryptKeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I wish the people placed spikes in the fake animals. Would serve the jerks right who hit them.

I have actually gotten out of my car before to help animals get out of the road.

When I was a kid one of my cats was hit by a car. The neighbors witnessed it and said the car full of teens who killed her went out of their way and swerved to hit her. Bad people suck.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I wonder how he would have felt if someone swerved to miss the turtle, went into on coming traffic and hit a school bus full of kids? Hmmmm....
Now that would have made an interesting video. (Just kidding guys. Please don't flame me.)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by ReadyPower

I wonder if within that 6% there is another 6% that would swerve to hit a human if they were certain nobody was watching?

That would be about 4 people out of 1000. I wonder what percentage of people are socio or psychopaths naturally?
edit on 25-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

Dude, if it were certain no one was watching I think we'd all be surprised at what we might find.

There are some sick ass mother 'F' ers in this world and we work in the same office as they do, we work out with them, we go to the same shooting range, we borrow their hedge clippers, we may even live with them.

I used to know a guy who would swerve to hit a squirrel,raccoon, or Opossum.
He would LOVE to hit opossums though, and kept a baseball bat in his car specifucally for the purpose of getting out and beating it to death if it didn't die when he ran it over.

There are plenty of people on this planet who are alive only because it is illegal to kill them.

I am a fellow turtle saver myself.
As for tarantulas or snakes?
I have never seen one on the side of the road but I can assure you I wouldn't get out to save them, but,
I sure as hell am not going to go out of my way to hit them either.

I DO have a policy about animals IN the road though, as opposed to on the side of the road.

I WILL NOT swerve to AVOID hitting them.
I MIGHT slow down if it is safe to do so but NEVER swerv.
More people DIE in accidents trying to save a goddamned squirrel then you'd think.
edit on 27-7-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I'm in a strange category here...

I'd carry the turtle to safety....leave the snake alone.... catch the tarantula for fun....

and probably end up in a fight if I saw someone run over the turtle on purpose...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by KillerQueen
FTR..Even though I own an SUV, I go out of my way - sometimes at my own peril - to avoid hitting an animal. I am also one of the ones who will stop and try to redirect an animal to safety.

Why in the world would you still drive an SUV? I can understand if you have money to burn or if there is a reason because of hauling boxes every day, but for transportation?

I think there should be a study done on SUV owners. It might be a lot more informative than this turtle study.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join