It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Pledges to Deploy Warships in the Atlantic

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The last serious naval threat to the U.S. was during the Cold War when the Soviets had a truly terrifying submarine force. I mean, it was a big force, it was largely nuclear, their ships were damn good (if not as silent as our own), and they had no less than 6 Typhoon class submarines, each with 20 long range nuclear missiles, and each of those missiles had 10 warheads. That's 6 very modern subs with 200 warheads each (1,200 warheads!) that could be launched from more than 5,000 miles away. They could actually launch while still in their home ports and still reach target, which meant that even while they were not at sea they were still a threat.

At present the Russians still have one Typhoon operating, but two more are supposed to be brought back into service this year (maybe they already are, not sure), so they'll be back to half of what they were at in 1988. The entire Iranian navy isn't even 1/100th as worrisome to me as a single Typhoon.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by Tw0Sides

lol
you're welcome

lets just assume it was for all the cock-of-the-walks
talking smack
[have i misjudged you, perchance?]

there is a first time for everything

like a devastating defeat of american imperial forces

funny how after the defeats of vietnam and korea, to an extent,
all it took was the crushing defeat of a few teeny tiny countries,
for certain folks to start assuming uncle sugars boys were invincible

for all they know those ships are stocked up with hundreds or thousands of one-man submersibles
piloted by allah's very own iranian female ninja virgin commando's

which is what i would do

trojan horses can come in many shapes and sizes

Of course four missiles fired from a small container ship with biological warheads could decimate the US within a few months. You would never even know you fired them!

Not every thing has to be at the highest tech level to succeed.

P

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Well if any Iranians visit ATS then they will have read that thread on the liberty ship in the Thames. So if they could detonate that ship, it would wipe the smug grins off the we are all in it togeather gang. Im sure there are other places in the west that could also be attacked. I`d use a dirty bomb. Wonder if those evil commies would supply them with a good dirty/nuke bomb.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

LOL well played my friend. Well played....

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

What I don't understand is this...

...Iran is always complaining about having a bullseye on their behind, and talking about how there could be a pending attack initiated by Israel or western nations. But then they send their ships to the Atlantic? An ocean that has nothing to do with them directly?

If they are (as they say) under constant or imminent threat, shouldn't they make efforts into securing their national waters, instead of going to the Atlantic across several US/NATO/West controlled points? Their power is yet to be directly measured in combat, but it's a fact they don't have a large fleet, so sending even 1/4 of their assets could cost heavily.

Seems a bit moronic to me, to be honest.
edit on 26/7/12 by Tifozi because: typo

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yep. I'm not worried about it. Would love to see some 'southern hospitality' dished out

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by hp1229

Shellbacks or pollywogs?
edit on 25-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Yep. Its not really a concern or issue. I would say its a pollywog on a shellback mission

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
Well of course Iran will have to sail its ships in the Atlantic. Theres no room for them in their waters, the US is there.

true pinned in nicely by the russian ships that entered the mediterranean earlier today
how's that working out for ya?
If we are lucky, they will blow the Crap outta each other.
That would work out Fine by Me, thanks for asking.

Well. We're not discussing about US or Russian navy here
We're simply attempting to grasp the next 'chess move' from the Geopolitics. Iran, Venezuela, Cuba are working at together at a certain level to mark their presence somehow somewhere with the help of the russians. Ofcourse Atlantic can mean 'western europe' as well or 'eastern us'

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
The last serious naval threat to the U.S. was during the Cold War when the Soviets had a truly terrifying submarine force. I mean, it was a big force, it was largely nuclear
Well thats all fine since we're talking about numbers here now. Do you know if they ever made it close to any major ports or city in the US? That would be interesting to know as per how and when that happened.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Just how many red necks would it take to sink that ship?

Yall know how much those southern red necks love those 50 cal rifles

Could 100 of them sink a ship off shore?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by grayghost

Hell, I think the pirates in the Caribbean around Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba, the Dominican Republic are probably better armed than the Iranians. The pirates might just take their ships from them and leave them afloat looking for refugee status in the US.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It does appear the United States Navy is about to get a SunBurn quote from the article:
"The Sunburn is perhaps the most lethal anti-ship missile in the world, designed to fly as low as 9 feet above ground/water at more than 1,500 miles per hour (mach 2+). The missile uses a violent pop-up maneuver for its terminal approach to throw off Phalanx and other U.S. anti-missile defense systems. Given their low cost, they’re perfectly suited for close quarter naval conflict in the bathtub-like Persian Gulf."
SunBurn article 2004

Is Iran ready?Iran is more than ready.
Asymmetric warfare
quote from the article:
"Iran’s armed forces have tailored their war-fighting strategies to counter technologically superior adversaries, such as the United States. Tacitly acknowledging it has little chance of winning a conventional force-on-force conflict, Iran has opted for deterrence-based model of attrition warfare that raises an opponent's risks and costs, rather than reducing its own. The goal is to inflict a psychological defeat that inhibits an enemy’s willingness to fight.
Asymmetric warfare plays a central role in Iranian military theory. Iran’s armed forces appear to be focusing on the development of niche capabilities that play to Iranian strengths—manpower, strategic depth and a willingness to accept casualties—while exploiting the weaknesses of Iran’s adversaries, who are regarded as risk averse, casualty sensitive and heavily dependent on technology and regional basing facilities for access."
end quote.
OH its going to be a real HOOT

It looks like asymmetric warfare has begun in the Atlantic or is about to.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Mister1k

It all sounds good just the way it did for many other nations with their toys
Anyone can own a ferrari. There are people who own ferrari to show off/collectors and there are people who own it as a daily commuter
Owning a ferrari vs maintaining and keeping it up to its full specs is another thing not to mention affordability
To top it off, Logistics & Supply Chain are just as important to wage wars or engage in a conflict thousands of miles away from home
Anyway...no further comments.
edit on 26-7-2012 by hp1229 because: add content

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Talk Talk Talk........they have said this for at least 2 if not more years. Proof is in the pudding. Bring the ships over here first. Till then, it's just drum beating. Even if they do, it really doesn't change anything.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mister1k

Sunburn/moskit has a counter now SeaRAM. It travels faster than the Sunburn missile and can intercept them in multiples. Another limitation is the range of the sunburn. you have to get within 90 miles of your target. Now if the 5th fleets hanging back say on the opposite side of the gulf behind Their naval base you have to deal with the picket line and the air cover thats circling out toward Irans coast. then you have the virginia class subs monitoring the same area. those subs are made for littorral waters as well as deep water. A sunburn is only the most effective if it is nuclear tipped. And currently Iran has none of those.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Being clairvoyant I had a vision of the future of the Iranian Navy....

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I must admit it would be good to see Iran bring the UK & USA into line, they have taken out many Iran & Russian friends of late, it's time others got even with the USA & UK.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
reply to post by hp1229

Talk Talk Talk
I mean seriously...
I just ignore some of the rhetorics from the MSM and ATS members (possible trolls) these days. Gave up on responding and feeding them
Most of it has been rhetorics

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Well...Depends on who won the stock car race (NASCAR) or on whose CB radio or pickup truck broke down or how much 'moonshine' he/she had consumed
It could be 1 or more than 1

edit on 26-7-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Hell, I think the pirates in the Caribbean around Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba, the Dominican Republic are probably better armed than the Iranians. The pirates might just take their ships from them and leave them afloat looking for refugee status in the US.
courtesy of Miami and Columbia

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join