It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the attraction?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Since last Friday there have been soooooooo many threads about James holmes / Batman killer and I am so sick of people paying attention to this guy. I would prefer he not get any recognition.

Anyways, Why do people feel the need to get involved so deeply in matters like this? They have to know where he went to school, what he ate for breakfast, what social sites he belonged to, who he lived with, what his job was, who helped him...blah...blah...blah.

It was terrible what he did and should never have happened but it did. Why not pay respects to the dead and move on and just forget about this sick person. He deserves no "fame" for what he did.

I feel the more it's discussed and passed around the more likely there would be a copy cat crime.

The guy was nobody, a zero, ziltch. A sick demented person who does not deserve to be remembered.

I guess it's the same with all celebrities. I could give a flip about the Kardashians, Snookie or who is pregnant, in jail, getting a reality show or any other worthless information.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

And....yet you created another thread about him!

I'm just saying.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I haven't bought into the mania but my personal opinion is because people want to start scoping out potential mass murderers in THEIR lives.. if that makes sense.

remember, see something? say something.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Hmm. Well, let me put it this way. Why would anyone put up an avatar like yours? It's a grisly thing. It represents violence and death. Yet you were attracted enough to use it to represent yourself. I don't know if it makes a difference whether you made it yourself or liberated it from elsewhere, but either way, it doesn't leave anyone else with a warm and cozy feeling. Maybe the fact that you seem attracted to a grisly avatar can give you some insight into why people are attracted to Holmes.

My guess is that it comes from the same part of the brain. Death, violence, and excitement are pretty close to each other. Sometimes the wires get a little crossed. Sometimes they get crossed in a big way.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I have no interest in the many meaningless details of the shooters past history. I think much of the fascination people have with those kinds of things makes them feel like some kind of detective who is helping to solve a mystery.

They get some kind of gratification and a sense of contributing to solving the case and finding a motive. Many people are intrigued by mysteries. This is just another unsolved case. Why did he do it? Was he alone? Was there a conspiracy behind this? Was he brainwashed?

Stories like Sherlock Holmes, Nancy Drew and other mysteries have always interested the curious onlooker. This is an opportunity for people so inclined to involve themselves with a real life version of the books they read. The way these tragic events are plastered all over the news also contributes to people's morbid fascination. The public feels compelled to comment and get involved in some way.

If we just ignore these events then we learn nothing from them. There are many aspects of this event that correlate to society as a whole and it is in some way a "sign of the times". Reality TV and tabloid news are some peoples only source of staying connected to the outside World. It becomes another distraction from the mundane daily lives that many people live.

However, morbid and/or perverse it may be. It really is nothing new. Even since before the days of Jack the Ripper. Serial killers and mass murders are always put under a microscope to try to better understand and hopefully prevent these kinds of events in the future.

There are also some disturbed individuals who will in a sense worship this kind evil. Why do so many murders on death row become engaged after they are incarcerated? People who have their own agendas will use these events to serve their purpose in whatever way they can.

There are many different reasons why people latch onto these stories. Some are empathetic to the victims. Some may relate to the killer. Some may just have a curiosity with the conspiracy aspects or wanting to make sense of a senseless act. Some want to be involved with a group or a cause. Some are interested in the psychology of a killer. Some are just fascinated by the sensationalism and news stories of the victims. Some just have nothing better to do. Whatever the reasons people have it reflects society as a whole and we all get a short glimpse into this sort of microcosm of good and evil.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
People are naturally like that . Years ago i performed some vermin control on green parrots in aus, (i know i know, they're a numerous pest over there)
Instead of flying away quick , a lot of them start gathering up when a couple of the flock have hit the deck.
They dance round the bodies as if there were some fascination they have. they are not veggies but not cannibals, and they dont appear to mourn their unfortunate contemporaries - its more like a dont know what.
We seeing similarities yet though ?
Soap operas , contain aspects of peoples lives which are presented in broken down form , and which the viewers of these programmes regularly tune in to watch. On eastenders or coronation street (uk) you got about 17-19 million viewers 3 times a week, an third of the country watches them. There's murder/death/disaster very rugualarly. Theres affairs and fights and dirty deals, etc etc. And people love it , they find it addictive.
People are expected to become goulish , following conformity shown them by mindwash. Now we are taking things a step further. Into real life, and towards you'r issue.
The advertising that goes with the soap opera coronation street , is recently containing 2 overweight , female corry gouls. This is the caricature of what they wish to promote reagrding this aspect of human nature , sick though it is. They are intentionally , while its not even funny but 'supposed' to be... 1 fat 2 ugly 3 mean 4 ignorant 5 greedy 6selfish 7 unkind , 8 untrustworthy 9 arrogant 10 the worst kind of partners 11 goulish 12 thick 13 child-ish 14 Repulsive 15 purposefully irritating

BELEIVE ME THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND ON. Way way further than saying this was unintended.

Maybe you can suggest what it is from america is promoting this behaviour . Your television , would be a good startr . Theres virtually n othing the hidden social controllers havent had their sticky dirty , sick, hands on

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Thank you for your intelligent reply.

This thread was not to be about "him" but the people who follow celebrities like him.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

Thanks for the informative reply Magic wand.

I see your point but it all just seems crazy to me to allow so much of your life to be intertwined with their lives.
It doesn't seem healthy.

Again, thanks for taking time to discuss the question instead of just trying to be witty or criticize.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
reply to post by caladonea

Thank you for your intelligent reply.

This thread was not to be about "him" but the people who follow celebrities like him.

You subtle sarcasm is duly noted. Thank you for clarifying what your thread is really about.

edit on 27-7-2012 by caladonea because: correction

top topics

join