It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which type of telescope is best for..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I don't think this is in the right section, so i apologize in advance if it isn't.
I'm looking to purchase a telescope but i have no idea what kind i would need, I want to be able to look at the moon clearly, at mars, and jupiter and if possible beyond with a clear view..also obviously i dont want to spend a fortune on it either because i can't.
Any input will be greatly appreciated, thank you !

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I have a Tasco telescope. It was relatively inexpensive when I bought it, but that was about 13 or 14 years ago. I don't know anything about what they offer now. I have been happy with it. I easily observe the moon, Saturn, Jupiter, Venus, Mars, Orion Nebula, Pleiades, and various other things with it. Those are just the ones I like to look at most. I have been able to see the rings of Saturn (not great detail though), and could faintly see the bands of clouds on Jupiter in addition to it's 4 largest moons. It's pretty cool! It also has a sun projection screen setup so you can even see sunspots on it. Also, I viewed the transit of Venus across the face of the sun in 2004 I think it was.

Since it's old, I'll list it's specs. It's a refracting telescope, the objective diameter is 60 mm, focal length is 900 mm. Max magnification is 675X.... Ok, I'm gonna stop there, too much to list. I will say though it has a bunch of accessories and different lenses that came with it that magnify the view more.

This telescope looks a lot like mine, but not same brand, and mine has an equatorial mount (makes it easy to follow things across the sky).
www.scientificsonline.com...

Great guide here might help you.
www.deepsky2000.com...

These terms will help you understand what you will be reading and hearing about when deciding to buy and use.
observers.org...

I tried to keep it simple, and I hope I didn't confuse you too much. Good luck and have fun! It's so fun....

*wants to go outside and look at the stars now*

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Loon3yToOns

I have no idea, I know nothing about telescopes. your best bet is to find a amateur Astronomers forum like www.astromart.com...

If you want info about Lizard people, crazy conspiracy theories, and UFOs than ATS is the place but for actual real world stuff your better off using google

If you like the moon heres a photo I took using my Canon SX40HS (using no lens attachments just a tripod)

edit on 25-7-2012 by ussoldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ussoldier

Oh that pic is wonderful! Ok, I know it's a one line post, but just wanted to say...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

Thank you.. The moon is probably my favorite things to photogragh. I was thinking of getting a telescope that can connect to my dslr so I take photos of the planets, but it will have to wait since the money that i was going to use to get it I spent on another camera

The photos look alot better on my computer. When you upload large photos the image is degraded because it gets compressed or something like that, sorry I been drinking haha

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
wow thats a really cool pic you took, soldier !
and ill check that forum out, i just really want a telescope soo badly but i have no idea about them lol...guess ill learn xD

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Loon3yToOns

Dont just buy the first one you see, Always do your research first. Telescopes are kinda like cameras in that you get what you pay for. Im not saying spend alot of money just dont buy the cheapest, but if thats what you can afford then you gotta decide do I get what I can afford right now or do I save for a decent telescope.

Also you gotta figure out is this going to be a hobby I stick with or is the telescope going to be thrown in the closet along with everything else I got bored with. If so then just get a cheap one.

new topics

top topics

join