It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOX was the First Shot

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation

As i agree All in the Family was an envelope pusher, I think there is a great disparity in the length in which each pushed it. There was a level of grotesqueness to Married With Children that All in the Family never reached.

To me there is no comparison. MWC Glorified the crude nature whereas AITF judged it.

AAC

I think your dead wrong. Married With Children to me had better moral values than Leave it to Beaver and all of those other shows you mention.

To start, lets be clear, every generation for as far back as I know has criticized the culture of the generation below them. When Big Band came out, it took focus away from gospel, then those fans thought Elvis was to sexual, then those fans hated the next music, and so on. Same with tv. So I don't neccessarily think FOX did anything new.

The difference between MWC and Leave it to Beaver is that MWC is more realistic. Most families can relate
tp fighting with each other, being crude, etc like in MWC. Beaver was a utopian world that no one could hope to live up to.

Also, despite the family differences in MWC, they always ended up sticking together. Whatever schemes they came up with never worked, and they always ended up relying on each other to get through the drudgeries of the daily life.

Another positive of the show was that it was willing to look a life through a poor families lens, unlike Beaver. It showed how hard life could be when poor, and approached it with comedy to show that depite it being hard, poor people could make a run of it.

I was also willing to make fun of all kinds of stereotypes. Unlike most stereotypes of its time where wives were always right, Peggy is often seen as horribly wrong. But so is the rest of the family. The boys a perv, the daughter a dumb blonde, dads a mysogonist, and you know what, the show constantly makes fun of all of them. But in the end of it they stick together.

I could go on and on. At the end of the day, you just seem to have a problem with the crudeness of the show. Well I don't think the show cause this crudeness, I think the show became popular because thats how people were. And its ok to be crude!

It has often been the elite thoughout history who have belittled the commoners for there crudeness, and have attempted to sensor it. I say as long as the overall message is good, thats good enough for me.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Couple things.

I LOVED MWC. It was seriously my favorite show. I know all about the nuances of that episodic.

Secondly, did you produce the show or something? Why so serious?

Otherwise, I think you are in the minority with your opinion on the matter.

AAC

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

Ha! Nah I was just a fan of the show. I was only pointing this out because I agree with your overall point that much of todays tv programing is used to pacify or dumb people down. I just don't think that show was one of them.

To me, it seems like the most dangerous shows are the ones that label themselves as the most "real". Things like corporate manufactured news, and so called "reality" tv are the worst.

I think most people can see sitcoms as fiction, and although like all culture the have the ability to influence people, everybody understands they are not real. But I think people watch The Real World or Jersey Shore, and think its more real. So it shapes there view of reality more severely.

You know what shows scare me the most. Have you ever seen the game show Deal or No Deal? The contestants on it are clearly actors who are overhyping everything, down to threatening a fictitous banker. There behavior is absolutely outlandish. Yet they always fit itno some convenient moral story.

And people watch this and think that its just a game show, theres no need for the contestants to be acting. But they are, and thats the danger. The more realistic a show claims to be, the more lies that are in it (with news channels being #1).

So I agree with almost everything you said, except I feel the problem started to increase exponentially with reality tv and the infotainment news instead of just FOX programing.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I think the show Rosanne really was the show that shown moral decline to new levels , on the air.
Leave it to Beaver and brady bunch were not even how it was in that time. You went from overly functional to dysfunctional. Don't forget love boat, bringing in sex, and marital affair issues to the screen.

No matter the time period, tv was a tool to tell you how you are supposed to be and act.
Even leave it to Beaver, kinda stepford wives scarey, loyal to government, being told what will make you a happy family. It was the start of teaching status que.

edit on 27-7-2012 by amatrine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
I think the show Rosanne really was the show that shown moral decline to new levels ,

Most everything that was on TV at that time played a role in corrupting people (especially kids). And not by accident. I don't think the sexuality was really so bad. I think there were many other aspects of morality that were much more important than just being sexually "moral".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join