It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOX was the First Shot

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I used to think differently.

I used to think that traditionalists were simple-minded subjective thinkers who feared changed. To some extend that may be true, however I am starting to see the purpose of their motivations.

I was the first to say, Video games don’t make people crazy, or raunchy television doesn’t make someone raunchy. But I now see those things that bent the comfort zone of many, now just spiral society out of control.
After WWII a sense of pride and importance swept through the USA like a storm front, literally shaping the culture of our society in a way that deemed it as “role models.”

The Nuclear Family was flourishing. Manners, decorum, and universal respect were the status quo. Women wore unrevealing clothes, children had curfews and television was an exact replica of that culture.
There were no boundaries being pushed. What Changed?

From my point of view, it started with TV and Music. Let’s face it, those were the only two outlets where global communication was available in the 80’s. Those two powerful options for influence could not be rivaled in the 80’s.

I think I can pin point when the degradation of television started. October 9, 1985.

That is when the Launch of FOX Television happened.

Now Everyone on ATS has no doubt has seen FOX broken down as 666. F=6 O= 15 1+5=6 X = 24 2+4=6 [666]

When Fox debuted Married With Children. It was the FIRST time prime time television talked about all the taboo things that had yet to be on TV. If you've ever seen Married with Children you know what I mean. FOX then targeted the most coveted demographic 18-49.

After FOX began to push the envelope. Other networks saw that success and began copying show-types. It seems like every year since then we have the contest of “who is going to show the craziest stuff.”
This has been passed down to the generation of kids. They scream out for attention by dressing weird or acting out for that shock value attention. Just like those television shows that got great ratings and success for shocking their audiences with crude jokes.

The establishment did this to us. Rupert Murdock owned FOX. Why would they force this type of social experiment on the people?

The obvious reason is that they can punish us into submission by using random acts that their influence created; to paint us as a society that needs discipline.

But what is that discipline going to look like? Whatever it is, I think it’s coming.

My .02

AAC

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
We will never see another show like Leave It to Beaver or Cosby Show. Why? Cause no one can relate to it anymore. We are not that anymore. We are what we see on TV right now. We are the Kardashians who choose fame over family. We are what we are and there is no going back. Only forward. But like before, we must build our new road back to self-appreciation.

How do we start?

AAC

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
No way...12:01 am, August 1st, 1981 marks the decline of western civilization:

Video Killed The Radio Star

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Aye.... that Kelly Bundy warped the mind of millions of teenage boys

edit on 25-7-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I always wondered why Fox News (conservative) and Fox programming were so different. Just like NBC (liberal) and programming on MsNbc was so different with all there prison shows and to catch a criminal programming.

I think there is a reason they call it programming.

Our society is like the Simpsons and Family Guy and American dad, and shows that show people being arrested and locked up sell even though it supports a police state for ratings.

Sad but true!!

Look at the top hits of the 70's compared to top music hits today and its easy to see our society is in decline.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
how bout reversing the bone you're pointing and see you yourself are a victim of that which you write and it's time to take measure of yourself, decide what type of person you want to be, own it, and stop relying on mass media to define who you are.

we all have the colours of the rainbow all the instruments of the orchestra all of it is within us.
edit on 25-7-2012 by usernamehere because: spellinglingling

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Nice analysis
I completely agree, S&F

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
The Nuclear Family was flourishing. Manners, decorum, and universal respect were the status quo. Women wore unrevealing clothes, children had curfews and television was an exact replica of that culture.
There were no boundaries being pushed. What Changed?

The 60's.

I will never forgive that decade for its unrivalled contribution to the decline of Western society.
edit on 25-7-2012 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
All America needs to do is turn off the television. We cant seem to do this....we NEED our fix of propaganda and fear mongering news story's.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I also remember years back thinking that FOX programming and FOX News were so radically different. I guess they found a way to reel in both demographics. The young people don't watch Bill O'reily and the Old people don't watch the Simpsons. Genius really.

AAC

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
I always wondered why Fox News (conservative) and Fox programming were so different.

It has to do with what sells. When FOX came on the scene they were leading the way in lowest common denominator programming. It was looked down on. Even on one of its flagship shows The Simpsons there's so many jokes about how terrible FOX shows were. And people ate it up. There's a reason that FOX is now a major network. FOX isn't as bad as it was, but it was only back in 2003 that they showed Man vs. Beast

When FOX news came along, there wasn't any real outlet for hardline conservative news on TV. So, they provided and did so in spades.

Rupert Murdoch likes to make money and, unfortunately, he's pretty good at it.
edit on 7/25/2012 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I say we need to remember how to be entertained naturally, from our own personality's curiosity. Our brain needs a purpose, but for some reason we gave the purpose to someone else to control. Sad.

AAC

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

When Fox debuted Married With Children. It was the FIRST time prime time television talked about all the taboo things that had yet to be on TV. If you've ever seen Married with Children you know what I mean. FOX then targeted the most coveted demographic 18-49.

I disagree. At least with this point. You make some very valid observations otherwise. But MIC( interesting association there don't ya think? ) wasn't the first. Groundbreaking series that broke out of the social norm was All In The Family. That brought some uncomfortable and some would say taboo, subjects to mainstream television. It set the standard for MIC to flourish.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
FOX is also responsible for COPS. A horrendously fake/manipulated tv show to boost crime/entertainment

What human being REALLY needs to watch COPS?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
When I try to look at this positively, I tell myself that this is just a discrepancy between perception and reality. Programming has been in a snowballing descent, especially within the past few years. And most apparently, within the past two. Everything has become so homogenized. Channels that used to carry educational programs now carry "reality" shows or "shark week" and so forth. Viewership is akin to being entertained by gladiators or strolling into the town square for a good lynching.

Shows that are touted as "number 1" have me frozen in an expression of astonishment. This reality can't be real, can it? Apparently so. But I'd also like to think that perhaps what we are being told is not the truth. For example... 3 1/2 - or is it - 2 1/2 men is the "top rated" comedy. Yet there are even professional comedians discussing this, baffled and trying to understand why and how that is possible. Are we just being told these stats? So then whatever the media tells us about what is popular is peddled as truth (and boy are we hit over the head with it), while in reality, very few people are fans.

Same with movies. Beverly Hills Chihuahua was, I believe, the top grossing film for a spell. How can that be? Well, perhaps people just want an escape and want to go to a movie so badly, that the bar is set lower and lower... and people may not truly enjoy it, but the numbers say something different. I have noticed people "excusing" the quality of things recently, and that is a disturbing trend. Because once companies get wind of that, they will attempt to give you much less for much more.

A majority of the programming today, be it sitcom, news interview, documentary, tv mystery, reality show.... are so pathetic, nay, egregious at times, that my brain will not allow me to accept that people would actively seek out these shallow, empty, diversions... and then talk about it amongst friends. I know who the Kardashians are, and I don't even know how or why I know that. I know that an undiscriminating public with very low expectations have made them ultra rich. For... why again? If this type of viral oversaturation was happening with a program such as Cosmos, we would be in a very different place, my friends.

And as another poster noted, the only solution at this late stage is to STOP WATCHING. Stop watching and stop paying these nobodies to live out inconsequential and primitive dramas in front of a cheering crowd of Americans. Stop paying these celebrities because you need to know what their new hairdo looks like. Stop absorbing so much homogenized goo before we pass the point of no return. Yes, it's feels awkward at first, because many are so used to the constant drone of the tv, whether it is constantly being watched or not. But I assure you, it is watching you.

If profits wane, changes WILL occur. But as long as the public continues to patronize and accept bad movies, bad tv, bad news, bad video games - the situation will only become more claustrophobic and dire.

ETA: The last commercial program I watched regularly was LOST. And I was appalled by the fact that in an hour long show, 20 minutes of it was advertising. 20 MINUTES! NO! Not acceptable! Cable television used to be ad free... because you paid for it. Now you pay a great deal more for it, AND have to sit through piles of mind numbing ads. Even ads have become stupider and homogenous!

edit on 7/25/2012 by HolographicPrincipal because: rant

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox666
All America needs to do is turn off the television. We cant seem to do this....we NEED our fix of propaganda and fear mongering news story's.

You are exactly right on here. The Telivision was the start of the decline. When they were able to reach the masses with advertising, they saw the potential then. Brain washing has been very, very good to Big Brother.
edit on 7/25/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I just saw this.

As i agree All in the Family was an envelope pusher, I think there is a great disparity in the length in which each pushed it. There was a level of grotesqueness to Married With Children that All in the Family never reached.

To me there is no comparison. MWC Glorified the crude nature whereas AITF judged it.

AAC

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

I agree with those points. My contention was that AITF set the groundwork for MIC. Al Bundy was the younger, crasser Archie Bunker.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

We will never see another show like Leave It to Beaver or Cosby Show. Why? Cause no one can relate to it anymore. We are not that anymore. We are what we see on TV right now.

AAC

Whoa. Hold on there a second. Do you really think when Leave it to Beaver was on that this was a reflection on everyday life? In reality, womens rights hadn't come very far, and physical abuse was commonplace in the home. Also, women were thought of as just housewives, and drug abuse was rampant among them. (this is just to name a few problems.

The truth is life was never like those shows. They were simple fiction with easy answers and we look back nostagaliclly now like thats the way things were. But they weren't, its fiction.

Heres a site worth looking at just how backwards the show was.

www.interestingideas.com...

And you can still find "wholesome" programming on channels like ABC family and others, there just not that popular.

edit on 26-7-2012 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Grambler

Well as I agree it wasn't a reflection of all households. The point is that those shows gave the people something to strive to be like.

Now we have people striving to be like Kim Kardashian. As if they created a sex tape they too could be famous for nothing.

AAC

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join