It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Condo Associations...what is their deal?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I am in the process of moving into a new apt this week. I started on Sunday and have been moving things in over the last few days after work. I had my girlfriend help me on Sunday and other than that it's just been me. Well this place is part of a Condo Association (didn't know this when I moved in since I rented from the owners personal ad) and well the Nazi's are out already. I got a "noise" complaint for hammering!

I was so happy to finally be out of my old place because of the constant problems I had with the landlord/property manager. In short I had mice, roaches, roof leaks in my room and various other problems including no water for days while living there for 10 months. I broke my lease because I shouldn't have to live like that and I couldn't take it anymore. I was getting depressed and it was making me miserable having to live there. I paid my rent on time and kept my part of the contract, they did not. I felt it unfair since I paid for a service that wasn't being provided. I even called the city code enforcement and had them inspect the place and there were many violations, all things I had complained about to the landlord and they were just ignored... I thought a new place would be a new start but I'm starting to think it will just be a problem and I'm a little bothered by it.

Ok fast fast forward to the new place... My girlfriend and I hammered about 6 nails into existing holes over the sliding glass doors in the living room, on Sunday because they were not covered. I put up sheets for temp purposes til I had a day off to get a drill and hang curtains and blinds all in one day. I guess the time we did this was before 5:30pm because my gf called her bf who was on his way home from out of state. I remember the time because it was even raining! It wasn't at 12am or 10pm. I am not that kind of person. I wanted to put something up til the next day when I was going to get curtains after measuring the windows. I do not want people looking into my living room or bedroom.

I told the woman on the phone (property managers assistant) that I was upset because I am just moving in and do not need this after trying to move on my own. I explained to her how I was moving alone and my fiancee works overseas and that sometimes one has to hammer or drill to get things in place. She was super nice and completely agreed with me. I asked her if I was going to get a complaint because I use a mixer too much because I cook a lot and various other scenarios. She said, if they get upset because you are moving in and living then they need to get over it. I felt much better after speaking to her to be honest.

What is it with people? Are they that unhappy they have to rain on someone else's parade? Everyone has to move in and hang pictures, blinds or whatever "improvements" might need to be done. Nothing magically gets done on its own with a wink of the eye. I wish! I am a quiet and to myself kind of person. My friends tease me that I'm like a grandma with the night hours I keep. I"m in bed by 8 or 9. It's just me and my kitty and my fiancee when he comes home. We are home bodies and I really didn't appreciate this letter because I felt insulted. Someone is obviously unhappy and has to ruin someone else's day.

I do not like Condo Associations but finding a place that isn't associated with one around here is almost impossible. I am from a different county where people aren't as stuffy or careless. It's like you get one or the other here....either they don't care or they care too much to the point of ridiculous.

I have been thinking about making each of my neighbors an Italian bread basket and introducing myself. I have done this before and my neighbors were awesome. I like to cook and I love to share bread esp since I can't eat loaves of bread all on my own!

Anyway....got a story similar?! Share!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I got kicked out of a condo for excessive noise, they had a board meeting about it and everything.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Sounds like the condo assoc and you worked it out just fine and the assistant was understanding. They pretty much have to "follow through" on a complaint to see what it was all about. You gave a reasonable explanation. Game over.

Your idea of a basket to the nearest neighbors is a good one and will help spread some good will. Yup, some people are anal. It's not the association's fault, though some of them can be pretty unreasonable themselves. It's a petty power trip for some people. Reminds me of Seinfeld's Dad.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

perhaps an investment in acoustic tiles
or sound deadening paint might
keep the blood pressure down
and overly sensitive busybodies quiet?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
I got kicked out of a condo for excessive noise, they had a board meeting about it and everything.

Well were you noisy?

If so then I can understand but if not then that is seriously messed up.

I've never had one single complaint against me where I have lived for noise. I'm quiet like an old person. I tolerate a lot of noise from neighbors no matter where I am because it's an apt/condo complex, you will hear your neighbors! I can hear music downstairs right now and I heard a bunch of banging from the neighbor to my right about 10mins ago. Am I freaking out? No, it happens!

I bet they saw a young female move in and thought oh no she will be trouble and they are plotting...well they will be sadly mistaken if they think they will run me out of here. I will kill them with kindness in their belly!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I am on your side and I agree that whoever complained is not being very nice or neighborly. I suggest that if you still have any more hammering to do. You should knock on your neighbors doors and introduce yourself. Let them know that you have just moved in and are going to be hanging some pictures or what have you.

Even though it shouldn't be necessary. You can apologize in advance for the noise and ask them if they have small children who might be sleeping or any other reason that the noise would be an inconvenience. Offer to do it at a different time. Perhaps mention the reason you are doing this is that someone complained and you just want to make sure you're not bothering people.

This should hopefully make your neighbors appreciate your concern and the effort you took to satisfy their complaints. Whoever complained might feel embarrassed and apologize to you. The neighbors who didn't complain will most likely be on your side and give you the heads up about who is the blue meanie.

By the reaction you get. You will probably be able to figure out who complained and be able to decide if they are worth your trouble to befriend or not. Your bread basket idea is nice also. But it may not have the same impact on the person who complained as checking in with them before you start to hammer again.

This should only be necessary one time unless the people admit the reason they complained is they have a small child who was disturbed by your hammering. Perhaps they were just having a bad day and are actually nice people. Starting off on the wrong foot with neighbors can be stressful and since you are the new person maybe it would be worth the extra effort to reach out and explain yourself.

Having bad neighbors can escalate sometimes and I wouldn't want them to start to complain about other things like your pets or your other habits. By putting yourself out there on a personal level it might diffuse the problem before and bad feelings are built up. I hope you find peace and comfort in your new living situation.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Yea kinda lol. My son and I would get carried away on Xbox live. We wore headsets so, our voices would be louder than what we realized.
It was only when a new person moved in that complained though, the previous tenant and the one on the other side never complained.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Oh this area is full of crotchety retired northerners who think that retirement will be like commercials for Florida.
Well it's not.

I have heard more complaints about various homeowner's associations from friends in the area. I know my sister had an old lady across the street from her yrs ago who complained about her cat in the window sitting and her bf's truck...she didn't like that it wasn't a new truck! It was a 90s model! Some people just have nothing else better to do.

I feel better now. I had some wine

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I feel better now. I had some wine

that cracks me up .. yeah for wine.

Everything will smooth over Mblah, and the bread is a nice idea, to have an excuse to go say hi .

Just don't let the crusty ones get under your skin, because they will be miserable no matter what. Be happy, and let them stew in their own negativity if that's what turns their crank.

I honestly think everything will be fine.

Relax, enjoy your new place, and why not have another glass of wine.

Congratulations on your new home by the way !! May you have many happy memories to take with you when you move on.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Let me back up a bit, I didnt actually get kicked out. What happened was, this "neighbor" complained to the owner of the condo that she lived in, who in turn, made a complaint to the board.
The board held the first meeting and decided to hold a second one to determine if the owner of the condo that I rented should be fined.
The owner of the condo that I rented from was a friend of the family and not wanting her to be punished for something that we may or may not have done, I decided to move out on the day before the second meeting.
The President of the board was our friend as well, so he wrote a letter that was read at the second meeting stating that I had moved out the day before, so no fine should be assessed against my landlord.
It was just politics and I was actually glad to leave that place

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

LOL awe yea I know how that can be. I dated a guy who would talk on a head set while playing WoW. I always thought he was talking to himself. He could get pretty loud with them. It never bothered me, boys will be boys I guess lol.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Homeowners and condo associations are like bad unions. There's always "that guy" trying to strongarm everyone into living the way they want to. Throw the hammer through his window and give him something to complain about.
All kidding aside, the best way to beat one of them is by seniority and advancement in the eyes of the community. They're all going to agree with "that guy" because he's won them over. You win them over. S+F

top topics

join