It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great start for Great Britain - London Olympics 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Just now Great Britains Woman's football team just won 1 - 0 against New Zealand in the first Olympic event prior to the opening ceremony this Friday. An exciting start to a much anticipated event!

The athletes are excited the weather is banging what could go wrong? I'm not gonna lie, the pyramid spotlights trip me out.. here on ATS people will always predict doom and gloom, this is a big event, something to be proud of!

Yeah the amount of security (or lack of, lol) and the amount of military may be seen as a bit disturbing but like my mother used to tell me.. better safe than sorry.

Whatever happens during or at the London 2012 Olympics, 2012 is going to be an eventful year. Scratch that, it HAS been an eventful year. Double dip recession, social cuts, middle east madness the list goes on.

Regardless of all that.. I've been excited about these Olympics since we won the hosting privilege years ago and amidst the scandal, the hype I am going to bloody well enjoy myself!

1 - 0 go team GB!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Just seems a shame the stadiums are half empty. I know women's foot ball isnt a major draw, but you would have they would have been able to fill the grounds with youngsters on their summer holidays.

I also don't understand how this is being considered the first day of the Olympics , when the mens team played last week?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I had no idea there had already been an event, the commentators didn't seem to either :p

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

The mens teams played a friendly, a warm up match that was not connected to the tournoment.

As for the stadium being half empty, the tickets are quite expencive, and instead of lowering the price so that more people could afford to go, they cut the max capacity down to save money on security.

A good start for GB, lets hope for more!
edit on 25-7-2012 by Trolloks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

Ah thanks for clarifying

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

Ah, I thought that was their first group game. Thanks for clearing that up . The mens football starts tomorrow. I would have though they will be busier. Good start to the ladies though, a possible medal hope.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Hahaha! Is this a joke thread?

No one gives a monkey's about womens football! What is the point reporting a pre-olympic match anyway? It means nothing! Also, olympic football is like the bottom of the football chain, and women's olympic football is even futher down the chain! Not being sexist, just stating the facts.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by thegameisup

Just getting into the mood. I think the football is a good addition to the Olympics. Sure beats the Hockey for entertainment. Might as well enjoy it all, seeing as we've paid for it.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Firstly, it IS an olympic event, it is the first.
Secondly, if you can get a gold medel in it, then it's worth taking note, and the end of the day they tally up all the gold medels won by every country taken part to see who did the best overall.

Can we not have just one positive thread about the olympics for one?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

This was a proper game just prior to the opening event. This is a win for Great Britain and a good start. It was an alright game if you even bothered to check out before deciding whether it was 'worthy' sexist bias or not.

top topics

join