It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Stop a Massacre...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dondon456
@Hawkeye:

"If gun control registration background checks etc. worked LA and NY city would be the safest places on the planet. They are in fact some of the most dangerous places."

New York City's crime rate for 2010 is ranked number 269 out of 400 cities in the U.S. Its violent crime rate is BELOW the national average. "Crime" includes murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft.

Source: os.cqpress.com...
edit on 27-7-2012 by dondon456 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2012 by dondon456 because: (no reason given)

Not sure what that ranking means or how they come to it so it is basically useless until we can understand that. Would you walk the streets of NY city at night alone?

I can do a search and find links that say NY gun crimes have increased etc. However instead of doing that here ares some facts:

• States with right-to-carry laws have lower violent crime rates. On average, right-to-carry states have 22 percent lower total violent crime rates, 30 percent lower murder rates, 46 percent lower robbery rates, and 12 percent lower aggravated assault rates, compared to the rest of the country. The seven states with the lowest violent crime rates are right-to-carry states. (Data: FBI.)

• Crime declines in states with right-to-carry laws. Since adopting right-to-carry in 1987, Florida's total violent crime and murder rates have dropped 32 percent and 58 percent, respectively. Texas' violent crime and murder rates have dropped 20 percent and 31 percent, respectively, since enactment of its 1996 right-to-carry law. (Data: FBI.)
www.nraila.org...

So even if those rankings had any meaning NY city is still among the most dangerous places on the planet. There are plenty of dangerous places but NYC and LA is one of the most well known.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
THAT'S FREAKIN AWSOME!!!! I LOVE IT. The only problem though is this is way to rare. What usually happens is someone gets cut off in traffic, gets road rage and wipes out the gun and shoots the guy who cut them off. Or some crap like that. I think you got just as good a chance to be struck by lightening than to be the hero in these situations. but the odds of an accident happening are quit high. It's not worth it.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
THAT'S FREAKIN AWSOME!!!! I LOVE IT. The only problem though is this is way to rare. What usually happens is someone gets cut off in traffic, gets road rage and wipes out the gun and shoots the guy who cut them off. Or some crap like that. I think you got just as good a chance to be struck by lightening than to be the hero in these situations. but the odds of an accident happening are quit high. It's not worth it.

Actually its not that rare it happens 1.5 million times a year see the link I posted a few posts back. What is rare is the road rage and similar type shootings you mention. That they are the norm is pure media hype...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

but the odds of an accident happening are quit high. It's not worth it.

What odds are those? 280 million guns or so in the US, how many accidents occur daily? 0.0004% or so? Here try this on for size, it never gets old.

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept. of Health Human Services)

Guns
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
Yes, that is 80 million.

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000188.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.

Source

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Ya that's a good point. Really not only are guns hard to get but were also brainwashed into thinking we don't need them, shouldn't carry them, that they're very dangerous, and not to be owned or kept anywhere.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Just saw this, needed to respond.
I'm all about gun ownership, but a few things about that video have me frowning.

First, it seemed a little crowded, and the citizen was certainly not aware of what was beyond his target (which he missed repeatedly).

Secondly, I'm pretty sure that in most jurisdictions, continued shooting at fleeing criminals is a no-no.
Yes, protect yourself, others, and even your property, but you can not chase the thugs down the street.

Thirdly, a dark, being in a crowded theater aisle at 3:00 in the morning, while teargas, 00 buckshot and 7.62's are screaming your way is hardly comparable to the scenario in the video.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiningBeneath
I'm going to be blunt here. The best way to REDUCE this kind of thing is to reduce the number of people who can potentially do it. It's basic enough. When a nation runs around proudly acquiring lethal weapons with little to no prerequisites, no necessary or provided training in the handling or reasoning while possessing such a weapon....sh!t's going to go bad!

When the majority of adults living in a population can't adequately use grammar and spelling taught to them at single digit age, it's a rational assumption they are not capable of being trusted with such power as is possessed by a gun. A black belt in unarmed martial arts takes years of discipline to achieve, and is far from lethal unless under certain circumstances. Even so, any slack-jawed dropkick incapable of spelling his own name can purchase a weapon capable of ending dozens of lives in a matter of seconds.

We thought the same thing about teaching people to pilot a plane, but turns out...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join