It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your Top 5 Albums ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
OK Groovers– I know this has probably been asked a thousand times on ATS - but - if you had to pick your top 5 albums, what would they be ?

Every track on the album has to be top shelf quality.

You have listened to these albums 1000 times and you could listen another 1000.

Any genre – it doesn’t matter.

What do you Love about these albums ?

Best song from each album, if you had to pick one.

(Sorry - No Best Of Albums or Compilations)

Mine Are (in no particular order)

Ott – Skylon
This is psybient at it’s absolute best. Every track is unique but it all just blends together beautifully. A Sunday afternoon favourite when you just want to chill out and space out. Best Song – “Queen of All Everything”

The The – Dusk
Matt Johnson got the mix of talent just right on this album, with Johnny Marr in support. The best album of the 90’s by far, and largely unrecognized by main stream radio. Best song – ‘Love is stronger than Death”

Dido – No Angel
A most amazing voice, with impressive versatility, accompanied by well written and addictive electronic beats and pulses. One of those albums I discovered by accident, from my wife’s collection of music. Best song – “Hunter” (and yes she's hot !)

The Cure – Disintegration
I was in University in the late 80’s and everyone was raving about this album. I listened to it once and it just blew me away. The Cure at their melancholy best. So moody, so addictive. Best song – “Lullaby”

Robert Miles – Dreamland
Press the play button then just bounce happily around the room for the next hour. Each song just merges in to the next “and the beat goes on !”. Best song – Too hard to pick.

Peace Out

* Ned

PS - I just realised that most of these artists are Brits

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
First off, I just wanna say that this is off the top of my head, without giving it much thought, so there is a possibility that I could slightly change my mind, later on.

• Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

• Pink Floyd - The Wall

• Tool - Lateralus

• Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar

• The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

edit on 7/25/12 by BrokenCircles because: I always have problems with that stupid 'The'. Regardless of whether or not I write 'The Smashing Pumpkins', or just 'Smashing Pumpkins', I always think I'm wrong after I re-read it' lmao.

• posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:34 AM
    link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
    First off, I just wanna say that this is off the top of my head, without giving it much thought, so there is a possibility that I could slightly change my mind, later on.

• Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

• Pink Floyd - The Wall

• Tool - Lateralus

• Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar

• The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

• Yes - nice choices !

If I was picking my Top Ten albums then 'The Wall" and "Downward Spiral" would probably be in there.

Thanks, Ned

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:44 AM
    link   
    tool- lateralus
    dave grey- white ladder
    pantera vulgar -display of power
    devildriver- not all those that wander are lost
    john buttler trio-sunrise over see

link   
    Why such a small number? I own over 1700 CDs and Vinyls and have to choose 5?

Well:

Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
    Back in the Glam Metal filled world, this album was quite a revolution, taking influences from 70's Aerosmith, Hanoi Rocks and some punk bands it's one of the best Hard Rock albums of all time. There's isn't even a filler or a bad song (it would have been legendary with You could be mine in place of Anything goes) and Nightrain is my most favourite song ever.

Deep Purple - Made in Japan
    Best Live album ever and it's a real live album no studio crap (like KISS - Alive, Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East) or other overdub crap.

Toto - Kingdom of Desire
    I named my website after the album title, i guess that says all. Toto has a very bad reputation in the USA, always get reduced to 3 songs while everybody ignores what awesome musicians those guys are and how diverse all their albums are. KoD goes more into a Hard Rock, sometimes verging on Heavy Metal direction in the 70's style, surprisingly dark lyrics and some awesome solos from one of the best guitarists of all time.

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
    I could've gone with Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, Relics or even Meddle (One of this days and Echoes are amazing) but WYWH has Shine on, Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine, i love those songs.

Rainbow - Rising
    Combine of the greatest rock guitarists, one of the greatest drummers of all time and the god of metal and you get this amazing album. Blackmore, Powell and Dio have rarely reached the quality of this album (Well Dio did with Heaven & Hell and Holy Diver
    ) and in my oppinion Stargazer is THE best epic Hard Rock song ever.

I could have gone with a Top 20 and it would've been easier

link   
    Muse - Origins of Symmetry
    Such a raw album, the guitar tone is just so messy but in a great way.

Soundgarden - Superunknown
    His voice. It's all about his voice, and my favourite tracks of his vocally are on this album.

Dream Theater - Images & Words
    As a pianist, I am crazy about Rudess, and his work on here (Metropolis, mainly) is just stunning.

Infected Mushroom - Vicious Delicious
    These guys have taken a genre (Psy Trance) and just done some amazing far out things with it. They inspire my sound greatly with synths.

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
    The album that started it all for me. This was the first album in which I could tell you every lyric word by word.
    edit on 25-7-2012 by MartyrCollect because: More Info

edit on 25-7-2012 by MartyrCollect because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:45 AM
    link   
    Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    Blink 182 - Enema of the State
    Sum 41 - All Killer, No Filler
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Green Day - American Idiot

And I could name another five...
    edit on 25-7-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:48 AM
    link   
    reply to post by ShadowAngel85

I did that on purpose to really narrow it down to "The Best"

Thanks for the reply - haven't heard of the last band.

* Ned

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:49 AM
    link   
    April Wine- nature of the beast
    Guns n Roses- Appetite for destruction
    Van Halen- 1984
    AC/DC- Back in Black
    Joe Satriaini- surfing with the alien

There is so many good albums picking 5 is hard.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:53 AM
    link   
    reply to post by conjury

Man, all you guys love Rockin Out. There's some real hard drivin guitar in those pics.

You must get a sore neck after a while

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:28 AM
    link   
    i know all about nimbin hippy folk that just smoke pot all day your probably after something abit more mellow

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:00 AM
    link   
    Love Gun - Kiss
    Strait From The Heart - George Strait
    Exile On Main Street - The Rolling Stones
    Speak Now - Taylor Swift
    The Clones Of Dr. Funkenstein - Parliament

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:13 AM
    link   
    Tool - Ænima

Opeth - Damnation

Cradle of filth - Thornogrophy

Metallica - Ride the lightning

Rob Zombie - Hellbilly deluxe
    edit on 25-7-2012 by Paradox1121 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:38 PM
    link   
    cannibal corpse. vile "buggered" with a knife

necrophagia. holocausto del la muerte. deep inside i plant the devils seed, and burning moon sickness

dio. holy diver. holy diver.

mayhem. deathcrush. chainsaw gutsphuk

ministry. the land of rape and honey. stigmata

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:39 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Paradox1121

i want your muppets as roadies

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:42 PM
    link   
    Led Zepplin...Led Zepplin I

Led Zepplin... Led Zepplin IV

Willie Nelson... Willie Nelson Sings Kris Kristofferson

Eagles... Eagles Greatest Hits

Lynyrd Skynyrd... One More From The Road

I know... all of these are 40+ years old, but there is a reason thay call them classics. I bet everyone here knows at least a few of the songs off these albums and if you don't... well, bless your heart.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:46 PM
    link   
    I know you said no best of albums... but he Eagles Greatest Hits is the best selling album of all time... I think the Eagles and Micheal Jackson flip back and forth for this every couple of years... and there is good reason for this.

Frankly, if you buy Eagles Greatest Hits and Hotel California... you have a world of good music that continues to touch and inspire artist and even an entire genre of music.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:07 PM
    link   
    reply to post by AlreadyGone

Originally posted by AlreadyGone

I bet everyone here knows at least a few of the songs off these albums
    and if you don't... [color=82FFC9]well, bless your heart.
    Thank you.

It wouldn't have mattered which bands you had named. You probably could have even named 5 bubblegum pop boy bands, and that last phrase still woulda cracked me up. lol

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:14 PM
    link   
    Despair - Beyond All Reason
    Despair - Decay of Humanity
    Megadeth - Rust in Peace
    Mirrors Edge OST
    Perfect Dark OST

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:58 PM
    link   
    reply to post by nimbinned

What is it about us that make's us appreciate one song but not another. I tried all the songs you listed and they just didn't get under my skin. It's not a matter of liking or not liking, it's a matter of if I can have music playing and I'm thinking about other stuff, then the music isn't good enough to hold my attention.

If it's weird music, it has to be REALLY weird (or the female singer has to have big boobs :roll

Right now my favorite song is German, and I can't speak it at all. That's how good the music is, and the singer's voice.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join