It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foul, Gas-Like Odor Rolls in Off the Ocean in Southern CA - July 25, 2012

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I work in 4S Ranch , Rancho Bernardo and will do some investigations today. I left work @ 3:30 pm yesterday so i just missed it.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I think this is just one thing that we need to be aware of I hope in a few days we don't see some type of sea life deaths floating in.

Be safe

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Im sure it couldnt have be an off shore oil well flaring with just the right wind

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by murch
PLEASE READ THIS.

METHANE IS ODOURLESS.

What you smell when you turn on your gas is additives to allow detection.

3.8 just occurred in Cali though.

If it was material from a well it might smell given it would not be pure methane but also include other liquids.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
NVM, deleted post.
edit on 25-7-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This is not in the gulf no? This is the pacific side which does not have the red tide and algae issues as much by comparison to the gulf. My first thought was a giant pocket of methane gas came up, but someone said that was odorless, whereas someone else said it stinks. Which is it?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The possibility has been raised by some that this could be a red tide or a similar algae bloom.

I lived in Southern California for several decades, including one decade on a sailboat in the area. I experienced a number of red tides during that time. The descriptions don't seem to jive with at least a typical red tide to me.
edit on 7/25/2012 by Open2Truth because: edit for clarity

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

Do fault lines emit gas before a quake? Or the movement causing underground gases to be released?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

This happened in Southern California. Not the Gulf of Mexico.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well, I just got back from the beach.

Took PCH all the way through Encinitas past the Del Mar race track. Stopped and surfed in the exact spot where people were smelling the funky stuff and couldn't smell anything... Normal salt water smell.

Water was super warm. Good day for a surf for you so cal nerds

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Hey guys, guess who lives in Encinitas?

Also, this is not the first time there have been reports of foul odors coming from the ocean.

Click

Note the official cited conclusion in the above article :

"Authorities eventually determined that decaying vegetation in and around estuaries and ocean inlets was to blame for the foul smell, Luque said."

Interesting that both times it occurred during the summer, which is when the kelp / plant life starts dying off due to the warmer water.

It also makes for a nice green slime that is yucky, but harmless.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
i live in rancho santa fe which is adjacent to encinitas and right near the coast, we started smelling what we thought was a gas leak but then it got worse and we presumed it was some neighbors emptying a septic tank. it was one of the worst things ive smelled in a while and it really smelt like gas.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I live on the bluff in Solana Beach and was in my bluff front residence with with doors open at the time of the reported smells and did not smell anything. One thing I have noticed the last few days though is a very light green, kind of lime in color algae drifting into shore in long trails more perpendicular rather than parallel to the beach.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

After the earthquake in Japan, didn't I hear scientists state that all the debri (and unfortunately, human remains) would eventually work its way across the Pacific to wash up on the shores of the West Coast? Maybe that's whats causing the odor? Citizens need to be sensitive to what they may find littering their beaches. How sad.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Maybe it is only a test. This smell, in and of itself is harmless.
TPTB just want to see what the gas will do and how it spreads when they release the real stuff.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I hate it when the cloaked alien ships dump their septic tanks on us

Slow day in the news room....

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
first.... if it was a natural occurrence why didn't they just say "due to algae blooms" or "due to decaying kelp"???? why were they so vague??

red tide ALWAYS comes with a warning. it doesn't just happen out of nowhere and warnings are issued to stay off the beach. i've been near the beach during red tide and didn't smell much. it did make me cough but there wasn't an overwhelming smell of "gas".

something is odd about this story.

edit to add: you don't go from smelling nothing to being overwhelmed in 10 minutes INSIDE a building due to normal occurrences.
edit on 25-7-2012 by pasiphae because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Yes, it's not acceptable. The statement is extremely vague, "naturally occurring condition from the ocean"

Red tide causing complete evacuation of a library?

Dunno --- can anyone find similar stories where algae has caused any of these symptoms? Specifically this black oil substance, that'd be great.

edit on 25-7-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

Extremely vague is the name of the game. Just look at the back of your hygiene products natural fragrance can be a butt load of things including synthetic agents. Same with natural flavoring, grouping things together in a vague description and call it natural has become a widely accepted practice.Remember people natural does not always mean safe or normal.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
reply to post by mytheroy

Do fault lines emit gas before a quake? Or the movement causing underground gases to be released?

If someone gets a description of the smell we could tell. This list describes volcanic gases and their odors.
Volcanic Gases - John Seach
www.volcanolive.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
first.... if it was a natural occurrence why didn't they just say "due to algae blooms" or "due to decaying kelp"???? why were they so vague??

red tide ALWAYS comes with a warning. it doesn't just happen out of nowhere and warnings are issued to stay off the beach. i've been near the beach during red tide and didn't smell much. it did make me cough but there wasn't an overwhelming smell of "gas".

something is odd about this story.

edit to add: you don't go from smelling nothing to being overwhelmed in 10 minutes INSIDE a building due to normal occurrences.
edit on 25-7-2012 by pasiphae because: (no reason given)

The overwhelming smell of gas is from decaying plant matter mixed with natural gas emissions. There has been some seismic activity, which may play a part, but I think it has more to do with it being summer in So Cal. I was one of at least two hundred surfers out in the exact spot where this was reported the strongest. Literally none of us could smell anything unusual even though nearly every one in the line up was keeping the noses pointed high.

Whatever it was, it isn't a big deal. Beach life is normal, down here.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join