It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many Americans Not Prepared for Disasters: Poll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

The Adelphi University Center for Health Innovation poll revealed that 44 percent of U.S. adults don't have first-aid kits and 48 percent lack emergency supplies for use in the event of catastrophes. The researchers said that people have a responsibility to boost their emergency preparedness, to make difficult or life-threatening situations safer.

Many Americans Not Prepared for Disasters: Poll

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
What I found to be the most telling..........

The poll also revealed that 55 percent of Americans think they can rely on local authorities to come to their rescue when disaster strikes.

Are Americans, that blind to what happened in Louisiana? Do people really believe this?

Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
The strange thing about this isn't the fact that Americans aren't ready, coz to be honest the whole World isn't ready. No one has supplies etc coz no one believes anything can happen.

The strange thing here is, USA is hit my a lot of natural disasters on a Yearly basis, so you would've thought they should/would have supplies ready for the "Just/What If" scenario.

edit on 25/7/12 by faryjay because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by faryjay

I am surprised people believe the Government will be there for them, especially if a heavy disaster strikes. Common sense? People don't even have band-aids ! I have bug out bags for all the kids, and misc. supply's. My 14 year old daughter, knows how to clean and shoot a gun. After Katrina, I started preparing.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
You see the problem here is these people will cry afterwards saying ... Oh no one told us etc. etc. blah blah.

It's common sense ... But then again common sense isn't that "common" anymore.

It's good what you're doing. When the SHTF, only you can help yourself and your family.

If these people really think the local authorities will help then I don't know what to say or think of these people. Even if the local authorities "tried" to help, they wouldn't have enough staff to help everyone and then these people will be waiting around for days or weeks and all along complaining.

In UK we don't have any natural disasters (touch wood) ... But even then I'm prepared. My wife laughs at me but I'd rather her laugh at me now than cry at me later on...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Most Americans' lives are "disasters". We are all scrambling as it is .

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FullySemiNude

I have to agree there. I'm prepared, barely. When you have trouble handling groceries and bills, being prepared isn't even on the map. The life of a preper is a luxury, not a right.

I think if the SHTF for real, some that aren't prepared will decide to get prepared very quickly, through theft. Just like when Katrina hit and Dubya sat on his hands.

With all of the money sent to other countries in the form of aid, I would demand the government help it's own citizens. If they want to send tax money overseas, they better be ready to provide the same relief to it's own citizens.
edit on 25-7-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I am surprised people believe the Government will be there for them,

Does not surprise me in the least given the recent events and events of the last 3 years and go back even further far too many people are all too happy to think Government or someone else is going to come save the day.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

And it is a government that works against us in a sense. At least that is my view. More often than not, governmental solutions are poor ones. But that is to be expected given how big government has become.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
as much as i work i welcome a disaster when we are snowed in its like camping i dont have to go into the rat race and buy gas a disaster would add up to more fishing and hunting and work choping wood

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

From my perspective. I'm not prepared enough. I have some camping gear, a first aid kit, a gun, and a plan, but other then that I'm not nearly as prepared as I'd like to be. I'd like be a survivalist preper to the extent that I have extended food rations and way more ammo then I have but I'm at a point in my life where I have to pay my bills and I can't worry about terribly much else yet. I can't afford the kind of preping I'd like to do. I can just do my best with what I have available to me.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by madenusa

in a dooms day disaster i would come out of the woods to steel before i ask the government for anythang & more fishing,hunting,and chop wood

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GrimReaper86

were in the same boat there is no plan just work hard pay your bills look forward to more hunting and fishing... watch out for the ones that depend on the government for every thang they only no how to take without a linkcard they would starve or die trying to take what i worked for

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrimReaper86
reply to post by sonnny1

From my perspective. I'm not prepared enough. I have some camping gear, a first aid kit, a gun, and a plan, but other then that I'm not nearly as prepared as I'd like to be. I'd like be a survivalist preper to the extent that I have extended food rations and way more ammo then I have but I'm at a point in my life where I have to pay my bills and I can't worry about terribly much else yet. I can't afford the kind of preping I'd like to do. I can just do my best with what I have available to me.

Im just amazed that many feel that the Government, will "save" them. You can only do, what you can....Like the rest of us.

top topics

join