It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tracking New Quake Swarm- Just started at Yellowstone

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
reply to post by pacifier2012

This from the same guy who stated "A 5.1 occurs at least 20 times a day in the earth."
www.abovetopsecret.com...

ouch, that had to hurt... Sometimes the tiniest observations can mean so much to so few. Instastar for you my friend!

Anyhow, thank you TA for your ever watchful eye.

You were up late last night, huh?

Yeah, gotta be up late to watch at hours when most other pertinent eyes are off the clock.

But I have to admit, those pertinent eyes are always interested and responsive, even off the clock. Good bunch of people we have doing this work. I admire them profusely.

Back to activity update: all still quiet, back to lull.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Yeah something is going on under the earth in california techtonically. I was just woken up last night/this morning by a 3PT earthquake that originated in Malibu. Woke up to a jolt thinking someone had kicked my apt door. Before then I had never even known that Malibu had a fault line under it. (PS I do not live in malibu but in LA)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Aha! Been waiting on this, cause those paying attention would know that I mentioned another quake that came through YS park, but there was no report on it. Till now.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

3.0, and it's west and slightly south of the park. I knew this because I have US.HLID setup as perimeter protection, and it showed strongest and first arrivals there of the stations I had open at the time. S&P lag time showed about exactly right for that distance reported, and that would have been easy to mistake as local in the midst of the other activity in this thread.

Again, just goes to show, you going to monitor a volcanic area, gotta have a perimeter setup to distinguish teles from local activity.

EDIT: also notice that that quake is computer generated, and not yet reviewed. I suspect it to be slightly larger than that, due to propagation distance. I estimate about 3.4 to 3.7. We'll see if it goes up or down once reviewed.
edit on Wed Jul 25th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Yeah something is going on under the earth in california techtonically. I was just woken up last night/this morning by a 3PT earthquake that originated in Malibu. Woke up to a jolt thinking someone had kicked my apt door. Before then I had never even known that Malibu had a fault line under it. (PS I do not live in malibu but in LA)

Gas like smell in north San Diego County

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Always going to be quakes there. Question is, does the caldera appear to be rising? If it's gaining altitude, that would be a sign to worry.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Thank you for your dedication.
I'll rest easy knowing a True American is keeping an eye on Yellowstone for us.
S&F.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Yngvarr

YOu know i was looking this gas smell up and in May 2011 and Aug 2011 In San Diego they had this same smell and couldnt figure out what it was.
really weird.

ps. were there any earthquakes or anything in that area around aug of last year?
edit on 25-7-2012 by tluna1 because: more info

ps.ps. well i just answere my own question 4.2 earthquake last aug in San Franciso

can anyone tell me if this means anything?
edit on 25-7-2012 by tluna1 because: more info

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I always appreciate your EQ threads TA. On this board, you're my EF Hutton on this topic; I always sit up, take notice and read with attention. You also attract quality replies. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. I may not always be right at first, but through continued learning and admitting my mistakes openly, let's just say I'm right a lot more often.

UPDATE: appeared she might have died down, but just now got another sub 1.5, same rough area.

But no question the activity has slowed to a creep. As expected, it will probably just....umm....wait a minute... another incoming, this is a bit bigger... just a bit. Still sub 1.5

lol, rofl...heck if I know...thought she was done...guess not.... the eyes keep watching....

EDIT: note- UU has started backfilling quakes now at:
www.seis.utah.edu...

Quakes from this swarm aren't up yet, but they have identified a mini swarm of 4 quakes, right on the western caldera rim....take a look...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Thanks for the info TA

Could this tie into the recent volcanic activity in Japan...
Yeah I understad the distance involved...

But didnt Yellowstone Swarm right after the Fukashima quake last year?

I may be wrong as my memory sometimes fails me

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tluna1

Probably just rotting kelp. I used to boogie board
in Newport Beach and PHEEEWW!!! that is one
bad stink!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Haha, I thought it was likely you who posted this, and I was right.

Anyways, thanks for the updates/information.
I appreciate the reminder to stay vigilant and prepare for any contingencies that may arise. I also appreciate critical analysis and relevant speculation.

I was thinking just recently about how amazing our sensor technology will be in 20-50 years.
I hope we will have a globally available free program to access which will show the entire Earth and it's crust in close to real time, fully three dimensional. But also streamlined and simple for lay persons.

I'd like to have something like that right now, because it would make it a lot easier to get a good visual concept of exactly how various geological formations appear, and it would reveal the manners in which they interact.
Plus it potentially could aid the accuracy of our predictions, and give us a larger window of opportunity to warn people ahead of catastrophes.

Yellowstone seems pretty complex, mysterious, and I believe very little is known about it (in respect of what there is still yet to learn). But over the next 20 years, if it doesn't blow of course, I assume we will learn exiting new discoveries about what is really going on down there.

As a disclaimer, in the rare event that 'all hell does break loose', I suppose this will serve as my naive first post on the topic of the end of modern civilization as we know it. And by "all hell" I mean the hot stuff underground, and by 'breaks loose', I mean comes out of the surface of the Earth through Yellowstone. I say this in jest and laugh because that potential actually does exist.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yngvarr
reply to post by tluna1

Probably just rotting kelp. I used to boogie board
in Newport Beach and PHEEEWW!!! that is one
bad stink!

If you want my simplistic belief of which I was conditioned into accepting without questioning it very much, here it is:

If there is a smell associated with volcanoes most often, it is that of sulfur.
If the smell reported isn't sulfuric than I would start taking the "geological possibility" down a few notches on it's likelihood.

Also check this out. Edited to add this:

I had a quick theory : What if the bad odor in our gaseous releases was actually from a type of sulfuric source?

Googled it and the answers were leading this way immediately:
First result

The gas released during a flatus event frequently has a foul odor which mainly results from low molecular weight fatty acids such as butyric acid (rancid butter smell) and reduced sulfur compounds such as hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) and carbonyl sulfide that are the result of protein breakdown.

And on the 3rd or 4th link, at Chemistry.com
they add a few more sulfuric compounds as culprits on our list (among a few other unrelated sources).

methanethiol (a sulfur compound)
dimethyl sulfide (a sulfur compound)

This was just a silly side-investigation I did based upon the premise "Not only does the Earth's farts smell bad because of sulfur, but so it is for humans!". Looks like it checked out fairly well, albeit serving as only a partial answer among others.
edit on 25-7-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Well let's see if I can give you a little relevant speculation:

1) After getting to know a lot more about how the volcanoes are monitored, and who does what, and the state of instrumentation at many, as well as the state and structure of monitoring duties, as crazy as it might sound, I actually am helping, even just a little tiny bit, to watch over them during off hours.

2) Because of what I have learned, I do have a slight concern that the tolerance for earthquake activity at YS has become so high, without any alerts from the YVO, that it essentially could be making a fatal assumption about a rapid onset scenario at a massive supervolcano like this. We just don't know what the precursors would be. I think they have damn good guesses, and pretty much assume that it would exhibit the characteristics of more typical eruptions. They are expecting increases in gas emissions, uplift, newly spotted thermal features, and other things too, like a long gestation period.

3) I for the most part agree! But what if we are wrong? We cannot afford to let humanity pay the price for being wrong about YS. We just can't. And therefore we cannot let up having real eyes on that data constantly, for the rest of humanity's existence! And my point is, currently, that is not happening. Yes, there are eyes on it during the day, and some very good people like Jamie and Bob watch over it, go over spectros all the time, etc, etc.

4) There are two big elephants in the room in the US that I will not rest until there is non-stop, 24/7 data watch on Real Time Data: LV and YS. If my contribution to humanity is to merely fuss, bicker, and monitor the damn things myself late night until this is in place, then so be it. This is of course the plan, in a way with NVEWS. But for some reason Congress has not funded a large portion of it. $ 5 billion of failed camo was more important.
Bailouts to grubby bankers was more important.

5) Many scientists feel otherwise, that they are so sure YS or LV would exhibit the expected symptoms, that it is not worth the extra money to monitor them 24/7. I just try to keep reminding them that one hour saved on the front end is potentially 100,000 lives saved on the back end. I have asked specifically about protocol in the event of massive tremors at YS, and I get zero answers. I cannot say for sure that there is any kind of rehearsed plan on what exactly to do, and who to contact, if an emergency develops very fast at one of these beasts.

6) Scenario: It's 2:30 am at Menlo Park, CA (where most of the pertinent scientists are for the Volcano Observatories), everyone's asleep or not paying attention. Out of the blue, during a newly developed swarm, I get a sudden long period event near one of the resurgent domes. But because so far there has been no 3+ quake, no pages have gone out to alert scientists yet. The hands of humanity now rest in some total noob's hands, namely, me.
Now that is just stupid, and should never be. And before I can even decide whether to make a phone call, I get another one, bigger, more menacing, and showing up all over the park, but still not enough to trigger pages.

Now stop right there. The lack of a pro manning the guns in that case, and the lack of a coherent plan are going to cost lives if things proceed quickly, on a massive scale and without much more warning. I won't finish this scenario, because you see where it all leads. I am merely illustrating the point that if it were to go down like this, a lot of people are going to die, that might otherwise have had an extra 20 minutes, at least, before D-Day. And I guarantee you, that is going to mean the difference between life and death to many on the perimeter of this event with a chance to escape. It's those I am trying to save. The ones too close are dead anyways.

EDIT: and oh, update: she's fidgeted with a few more, but overall, activity appears to be on the decline.

Heh, nope, just cranked up again with a few more, now slightly increasing in rate and magnitude, but still way small, sub 1.5 ...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
TA - Just saw Your Thread as it is on the main page -- The Thread is under the Science & Technology and not Fragile Earth.. Hmmm Maybe why some of the folks haven't commented.. Will look at this more in depth tomorrow - Been so busy today!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Wow, a veritable smorgasbord of information there, thanks!
But I must admit, most of it is over my head! (Plug in befuddled smiley face here!)

Curious about Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada & Montana all perking at the same time too in the last 24 hours. Do all those states have volcanoes too?

Connection with the 6's or is something else going on?
WOQ

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This is very interesting stuff. I appreciate the dedication. I learn something new every time I come on here. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I can explain the activity TA:

My wife and I were travelling yesterday. Stayed in Missoula last night, came east and south this AM on the way home to IF.

Fish and women tremble in my presence, so I imagine I have the same effect on volcanoes!

But seriously, someday your passion for this might pay off and really make a difference to humanity. I got nothing nearly as noble in my sights!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I've posted here a number of times about Yellowstone earthquakes.......... I've lived here for over 30 years (due south by the Tetons, under 100 miles from Old Faithful) and every now and then there are posts about the quakes...... They Happens Every Single Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! some a bit bigger, some smaller, some swarms.... but seriously folks....... It's YELLOWSTONE! A giant geothermally active area that has earthquakes by the minute, day in and day out. It's one thing to look at a recent graph, but it's another to compare it over years and years.... and we do get that data here in Jackson. We have seismographs all over the area here in the Greater Yellowstone area. It's No Big Deal, it's really just Business As Usual for this area. Locally? No news on strange events or unusual earthquakes. Just Another Day in earthquake country in Northwest Wyoming, where we measure travel by the hours, not the miles, and tiny earthquakes by the hundreds.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Please explain why this is anamolous. Seems un-remarkable to me. To many esspressos last night?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join