It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Removing stars from posts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
You can take flags back if the thread takes a turn you don't feel comfortable with.

Quite a few times I've starred a post because I agreed with it, but it was later edited and I just couldn't take back the star. I felt scammed.

Is there a way of removing stars that I'm missing? Or it's just not possible?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
as far as i know you can not take them back

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jplaysguitar

I was afraid that was the case.

I hate that, because someone can say something and then edit it out and claim they've never said such a thing, and if you didn't actually see the original post then you could end up believing them.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

starring posts is not always about agreeing with someone. I star many posts from people who hold positions I myself might not agree, but something about it or in it was good, or made me think. Sometimes it was simply for the effort someone put into posting something.

But no you cannot take back a star, once you give them out there is no taking them back.
edit on 24-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The stars are eternal

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Yes, I know there are many reasons for starring a post but still, when they change their original message (for the worse, sometimes) then I think the star is no longer deserved. There should be a way of taking it back.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about it one bit. It will serve you better to pretend that stars and flags don't exists. I certainly hope you don't judge your own or someone else's worth by them at least.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

I know. But it's like ordering something and then getting something else. You wouldn't keep it, you'd call to have the item replaced because it's not what you asked for.

If it was done for the flags, why isn't it done for the stars too?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

well people only have about four hours i believe in which to edit a post...so i am sure that that does not happen to often now really does it....also it can only be a single star that would be of concern here as you cannot add more than one star to a particular posting....so i would not get to twisted about it...now i am sure there are more pressing real life issues than worrying if a star should be there or not.

If a single star is your biggest worry in your life...i will give you all my stars for nothing if you would like them...then you could have a few thousand to waste.

note: see the edit...that lets you know i have changed things...i had a typo..mys=my
edit on 053131p://f21Wednesday by plube because: note:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Schuyler said it best:

"By awarding a star or flag, you made a decision. It's out there like a fart or a bad joke."

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra
reply to post by sputniksteve

I know. But it's like ordering something and then getting something else. You wouldn't keep it, you'd call to have the item replaced because it's not what you asked for.

If it was done for the flags, why isn't it done for the stars too?

Un-Star might be a big deal programming for the site.

I think the un-flag deal took some testing.

Besides, If they edit tell them in a post that you officially un-star them.

But wouldn't that make you a "Native American Star-Giver?"

Just Saying...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

OMG....did you Fart again Lady....you could at least open a window if your going to keep doing that.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Shouldn't even have a star grading system.

Especially when we are all infected with a terrible virus called Approval, Memetics and Eddie Bernays

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
Shouldn't even have a star grading system.

Especially when so many mean spirited, sarcastic one liners get dozens of stars. At least there's no "negative stars", that would bring up a whole lot of trouble, like when someone asked for a method to mark trolls.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
This may be a stupid question, I'm new so cut me some slack....but why is there no option to give stars on this thread? Irony!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SkyWatcher13

I think the only three forums that don't have that option are this one (Board Business & Questions), the Introductions Forum and the ATS Freshman's Forum.

Maybe because we ask questions and make suggestions in this one, so a star for the member who started it isn't necessary although to show you agree with the subject or think it needs to be seen you can give a flag.

edit on 26-7-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

top topics

join