It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Canada Doing Right?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

What's Canada doing right that the United States is not?

I was driving to work the other day listening to a radio show and heard some interesting facts about Canada, my neighbor to the north. I got thinking about it; I've been to Canada a bunch of times, mostly Toronto, because of its close proximity to where I live. After listening to this show I realized Canada has a lot going for it. I followed up with a couple pretty decent online articles.

One article, What President Obama doesn't want you to know about Canada?, provided a nice summary of Canada's successes.

Canada’s unemployment rate is now 7.3%, whereas the current U.S. unemployment rate is 8.2%. Canada’s combined federal and provincial debt to GDP ratio is 57.9%, while Canada’s federal debt to GDP ratio is 34%. Meanwhile, the U.S. debt to GDP ratio reached 101.5% in 2011.

Then there is the Canadian banking system. Canada’s banks are among the best capitalized in the world and far exceed the norms outlined by the Bank for International Settlements. During the financial crisis, no Canadian banking institutions had to be bailed out.

It’s worth noting here that homeowners are also in better shape in Canada. Today just 0.35% of Canadian mortgages are behind on their payments, whereas TransUnion reported that in the January-March 2012 quarter 5.78% of U.S. mortgage holders were behind on their payments by 60 days or more (that’s more than 10 times more than in Canada).

Canada also has a better credit rating than the U.S. Standard & Poor’s gives Canada a “AAA” rating and a “stable” outlook, but gives the U.S. an “AA+” rating and a “negative” outlook. Moody’s Investors Service Inc. lists the U.S. as triple-A but gives it a “negative” outlook. Meanwhile, Moody’s gives Canada an “AAA” rating and a “stable” outlook.

Pretty good stuff, huh? I had no idea.The article continues to outline what Canada is doing to outperform the United States in a variety of areas, such as national debt, economics, housing, banking, etc.

...these cuts are real reductions, not just cuts in the expected growth of government as so often is touted in Washington, D.C. To achieve this the Harper government did something you might more expect to see in the private sector. Clement made history in Canada by tying bonuses of senior bureaucrats to the success of government-wide objectives for reducing expenditures. Get this, about 40% of the bureaucrats’ bonuses were linked to a “Deficit Reduction Action Plan.” Yeah, bureaucrats got bigger bonuses when they proposed ways to make bigger cuts..

This reminds me of "Pay for Performance." Not a bad plan. If our politicians got paid for their performance, well, they would be penniless.

For example

...the Obama administration’s budget proposal for 2012 failed to pass both the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives, marking the third straight year that the U.S. has not had a budget. Obama’s last budget went down 97-0 in the Senate. The president’s budget was so flippant, even his own party voted against it.

Back to Canada

Clement says, “Our Economic Action Plan is working. We have already seen the creation of nearly 760,000 net new jobs across Canada since July 2009. And nine out of ten of these are full-time positions.”

...Clement wants federal bureaucrats to ask themselves how they can do their jobs well at a lower cost to taxpayers. This is why he linked senior civil servants’ bonuses to cuts.

This statement infers Canadian politicians believe they work for the taxpayer, quite the opposite of Washington politicians. The term "civil servant" is an interesting one. Our politicians have forgotten that they work for us, the citizen. They were elected to do the people's will. They are public servants, no different, no better than the postman, the dog catcher, a major, a sheriff, etc. They are driven to work in stretched limos, they wear $1000 dollar suits, etc, they vote for their own raises, etc, etc. But here's my favorite

members are eligible for an immediate, full pension at age 62 if they've served five years or more...

In closing, I still love this country. I'm a veteran and a patriot. I believe the citizens of this country love this nation far more than the politicians of this nation. Washington has an agenda. The public is losing more and more rights everyday. The republic is being driven into the ground! The empire is crumbling around us. So, while I still believe the United States is the greatest place to live, as I become an adult and my eyes open, I realize the short-comings of our government and our politicians. It's a sad realization. I'm so disgusted this year with Washington that I don't even want to vote this year. The point of this thread to point out and say, "Hey, look over there. Some places are doing it better or different." I'm not naive. No nation is perfect, not all politicians are criminals. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

The citizens of the United States have had enough. It's time to take our country back from Washington politicians.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
We've stolen the American Dream and turned it into the Canadian Dream.

Here's some more reasons why the great white north is amazing.

-Less severity for crimes. Drinking under age in Canada you get your drink poured out and told to go home. Drinking under age in the USA, you get a ticket.

-nobody cares about marijuana. We smoke it like it's legal.

-Better Beer and better weed.

-Free Health care

-Hockey

-Better looking women

-Full nude Strip Clubs

-I don't even know why, but I get 20 bucks from the government every month.

And there's more.

edit on 24-7-2012 by swoopaloop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Good post and most of it is correct.

That being MOST Politicians truly believe they work for the tax payer. The most important one at the top has it ass-backwards tho.

Harper is turning into Obama of the North and many want him gone. I wonder if we can put Harper and Obama on that little strip of land at the border called "No Man's Land" and leave them there?

Peace

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by swoopaloop
We've stolen the American Dream and turned it into the Canadian Dream.

To an outsider like me, I'd say Canada has not allowed private business to buy out its government. In our attempt to police and take over the world, we've allowed private defense contractors to seize control of Washington. Our defense budget alone is approximately $800 billion dollars; that's significantly more than most other country's federal budget. It is completely out of control and insane.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Canada doesn't go to war every time someone looks at them sideways and doesn't even try to support a huge, unnecessary military apparatus larger than all the other world's military spending combined.

Then again, I suppose it could be about the way they pronounce "aboot" I guess.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Canada's great eh !
We have colored money.
the looney and tooney coins.
great beer.
most cops aren't crazy like in the U.S.
but we do have winter....burrr

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by swoopaloop

You have given up your right to own guns . You are further along in the NWO than we are . People are coming to the USA to get medical because your Socialized Medicine doesn't work for them .

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonPeter

You have given up your right to own guns . You are further along in the NWO than we are . People are coming to the USA to get medical because your Socialized Medicine doesn't work for them .
Ah yes...our poor health care system. I was referred to a blog today by a self-professed American conservative who found herself in Canada at the mercy of our system. I know...it's just a blog. But, it's an opinion voiced by somebody who has seen both sides of the issue. You might find it of interest. ayoungmomsmusings.blogspot.ca...

And the guns? You might wanna compare the stats for gun crime between our two lands...they don't seem to be doing y'all a lot of good.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I absolutely agree. We are a war machine. Unfortunately, all that money stays in the hands of a few. Years ago, going to war stimulated the economy. But not anymore. Wars are fought differently.

On a side note, it could be because Canada uses Thompson's water seal at Niagara Falls

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

And don't forget my favorite

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Ah man can only pop in for a bit right now - uh misleading article, sorry.
The good business model that was presented and used in 1962 worked fine til greed stepped in.

The US is getting hooped having to buy insurance and then mis-labelling it.

I think the Cdn politicians saw all the US politicians lining their pockets with privatized medicare - they wanted some too!
Private health care firms donated substantial money to the ruling party in our province.

Our banking system (I've read - can't quote where) has received money from the feds..

I think any Canadian with their eyes open could count on one hand the amount of politicians they know of - across Canada - who actually believe they are there to work for the taxpayer.

-to add - as I was writing my post, I see more informed Cdns have stepped in. Interesting, the observations.

Canada is growing closer to the US every day.
Hoping some informed Canadians step in while I step out.
Unity_99, you around?

edit on 24-7-2012 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: added to reply

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

lmao! When 75% of the population is stoned, there's no need for guns.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Canada's government still serves its people. The US government serves the wealthy, corporations and military industrial complex, and we have our empire to spend a ton of money on.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I like Canada too. I haven't been there in quite a few years now. I wouldn't mind going there someday again. The people I've met there are pretty descent.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

This is just silly. I pay sixty four dollars a month for my medical coverage and my employer pays another seventy some odd for extended coverage so I don't get your notion of socialized! I don't own guns personally but my buddy owns 4 or 5 legally and is working on more. I know many people who own guns but they have to pass an exam and have a background check.
edit on 24-7-2012 by minkmouse because: Missed a "Y"

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Hell Ya, lowest crime rate since 1972 and, we still allow circumcisions.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse

This is just silly. I pay sixty four dollars a month for my medical coverage and my employer pays another seventy some odd for extended coverage so I don't get your notion of socialized! I don't own guns personally but my buddy owns 4 or 5 legally and is working on more. I know many people who own guns but the have to pass an exam and have a background check.

True. Some provinces ( Alberta and Saskatchewan) have free basic medical, but the provinces pay for it, because they have so many resources ( oil, gas, coal, diamonds, potash, etc). For the extra Blue Cross we have to pay extra. I've never had a problem getting doctor's care. I don't even know anyone whose ever gone to the states for medical care. You'd have to be desperate, and rich to do that.

We haven't given up guns, it's just regulated well. Rifles don't even need registration, you just need the right certificates to get ammo. Most farmers and northerners have rifles. They're needed for the wildlife (bears, coyotes, etc).

And about "aboot"
that's just the easterners. They talk funny in the Maritimes, I can't even understand half of them, the French are easier to understand sometimes....

Something else we do right, is we pass a budget every year. We know where our money is going. Our "leader" was an economist, the US "leader" was a lawyer......

Originally posted by swoopaloop
-Less severity for crimes. Drinking under age in Canada you get your drink poured out and told to go home. Drinking under age in the USA, you get a ticket.

Our drinking age is 19, 18 in Alberta

Leniency on certain other things which will go unmentioned

I'm finding the cops in Alberta seem decent so far. I just moved here from Sask. They probably get paid better in this province, everyone else seems to....The ones I've met or heard about seem like a happy bunch.

-I don't even know why, but I get 20 bucks from the government every month.

That one made me laugh
Probable some type of tax credit, or GST rebate, not sure.
Sometimes that just happens up here. They set our tax rates different each year, and we find out when we do our taxes. Sometimes we score good if our income was lower the previous year.

Yes, we have winter, often extremely cold in some places, but it's worth it.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'm currently in Canada under contract, maybe for another 1.5yrs until I return to NY
Been here for about over 3yrs now

A few things to note about Canada that is not being mentioned
First of all Canada has many businesses, however a too large of a number of clients of these businesses are american.
If America has a cold Canada will have a fever is how the saying goes.

If the U.S. falls then Canada will go down with it
A large majority of IT companies, their clients are U.S. based
Well i'm talking alot about what I know which is the IT industry

Also Harper is a pussy cat, whoever is in washington can play with Harper's puppet strings with little or not guitar experience.

And lastly the newly appointed head of the Bank of Canada is a former Goldmann Sacchs exec., which i'm sure Obama helped push.

There's also too many liberals in Canada, just too damn many
And as soon as you say you are against the entitlement system they try their dang best to demonize the hell out of you like there's no tomorrow

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Oh Canada!
We the the Harper tories theyre really in their glory....they pass such stupid laws and acts
and make abominable treatys and pacts....
At least they delicensed our rifles, but a pistol goes nowhwere without a permit to to carry it there (gotten every year) and a trigger lock, and a locked steel box.as well as in yer trunk if ya got one........to the range and back jack or its trouble for you.....
the Mounties are the law here most ever place...they occupy the communities they poice like a conquering army.
They answer ony to themselves and the feds.....
Woe betide you complain about their ways of tortureing you....they will send another mountie to investigate and
declare his brother pig blameless.....
These assh263les think they own the country and are getting more trigger happy all the time.
You may hear shocking news about gangs, but we have the lowest crime rate since 1972.......

Our BEER is the BEST!
but i dont drink....i am a smoker.....hehehe
The best thing about Canada is youre never far from someplace bushy...................

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Ah yes...our poor health care system. I was referred to a blog today by a self-professed American conservative who found herself in Canada at the mercy of our system. I know...it's just a blog. But, it's an opinion voiced by somebody who has seen both sides of the issue. You might find it of interest. ayoungmomsmusings.blogspot.ca...

That blog is full of crap!!!!!!!!!

Firstly that lady is OBVIOUSLY a liberal pretending to be a former conservative, there's no doubt about that
Secondly she said in Canada even homeless people have healthcare, what is she smoking????
Homeless do not have easy access to healthcare, this is untrue.

Secondly the author keeps saying this was free, that was free and this was free too.
That is not a former conservative because a conservative knows that nothing is free, the people pay for it, that's why people who oppose universal healthcare oppose it.

there's even no family doctors taking more patients in Canada anymore
So what happens?
The ER waiting room is full of people who need immediate attention because they have a cold, or their stomach is feeling weird.
Things that a family doctor should take care of, not ER.

There's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANYYYYYYYYYYYYY other issues with her blog

Please do not consider that a legit source

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join