It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. federal agency accuses Canada of luring cargo away from U.S. ports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

U.S. federal agency accuses Canada of luring cargo away from U.S. ports

home.mytelus.com

at 20:00 on July 24, 2012, EDT.
Lee-Anne Goodman, The Canadian Press
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services2WASHINGTON - A U.S. federal agency is chastising Canada in a report to Congress, alleging that Canadian ports on the West Coast are deliberately luring lucrative cargo business away from their American counterparts.

The five-member Federal Maritime Commission voted 3-2 on Tuesday in favour of the critical report, which carries findings that also purportedly raise concerns about Canadian security measures at ports.

The report will soon b
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The ugly head of US jealousy is rearing over Canadian good furtunes......
Could i detect a tad of Jealousy here ?Or is it just sour grapes over the softwood lumber decision by the Nafta panel latey?
At any rate, it gets tiring to see the US suck wind every time somebody else competes in business better than they do....
I think the States are getting just too full of themselves in the goverment houses...
They wanted and pushed for globalism, and they cry rivers when anyone does anything better than they do.....
This is the attitude which makes the rest of the globe twitch every time they try to do business with the US....It apears if things dont go their way all the time they get upset and try to force things to go their way...rather than try to improve their systems....or channge theri management style.
When the US starts playing ball on a level paying field with trhe world, i think things will be a whole lot more peaceful globally....
More sour grapes because they werent "first to the trough" on this issue....
With all the tak of the two countries joiing tighter relationships it would seem the US wants to be the big cheese.....in any deal.

home.mytelus.com

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Just a typical trade dispute - adjacent ports within a country will try to "lure" cargo away from each other too, for the same reasons as competing retail stores try to lure customers.

and it is the proper place of Govt agencies to provide support to their own nationals in such disputes.

not really alternative anything IMO.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

If I was Canada I would say two words to shut their dumb asses up! "KEYSTONE PIPELINE!"!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Thats not so bad an idea.......!
But really, i have et to see an international deal go down with the US where they did not insist on getting far and away the best of the bargain.....The world is tired of this overbearing way to do business....

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
We all believe in the free market, right? This is like accusing Walmart of stealing customers from Canadian Tire.

If US ports are no longer attractive to the shipping companies, then I guess they better pick up their game. Maybe lower dockage fees, speed up loading/unloading, etc. I'm not that familiar with the economies of the shipping trade but there must be some way to become more competitive.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
So what it's a free country, Canada that is, so they have the right to do what is necessary to promote economic growth in their country. What is wrong with these federal agencies in the U.S? Grow up, the blame game was a childhood game. Get your act together or get replaced.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling

The ugly head of US jealousy is rearing over Canadian good furtunes......
Could i detect a tad of Jealousy here ?Or is it just sour grapes over the softwood lumber decision by the Nafta panel latey?
At any rate, it gets tiring to see the US suck wind every time somebody else competes in business better than they do....
I think the States are getting just too full of themselves in the goverment houses...
They wanted and pushed for globalism, and they cry rivers when anyone does anything better than they do.....
This is the attitude which makes the rest of the globe twitch every time they try to do business with the US....It apears if things dont go their way all the time they get upset and try to force things to go their way...rather than try to improve their systems....or channge theri management style.
When the US starts playing ball on a level paying field with trhe world, i think things will be a whole lot more peaceful globally....
More sour grapes because they werent "first to the trough" on this issue....
With all the tak of the two countries joiing tighter relationships it would seem the US wants to be the big cheese.....in any deal.

home.mytelus.com

Yup not to say every American is the same but there's a certain mentality which can be seen in this true story here...

ACTUAL transcript of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. This radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on 10-10-95.

Americans: "Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision."

Canadians: "Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision."

Americans: "This is the captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course."

Canadians: "No, I say again, you divert YOUR course."

Americans: "THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH. THAT'S ONE-FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP."

Canadians: "This is a lighthouse. Your call."

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

The problem we have in the U.S. is the idiot in charge and his bank of america hating losers. They said no to the pipeline and China is going to do business in Canada. Unless we stupid americans get rid of the communists in our own government, this is the beginning of the end for our country.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
And for those claiming the lighthouse thing was a hoax and as denied as it was from the US Navy...

[In March 2008, Mike McConnell, the Director of National Intelligence in the U.S., opened his remarks to The Johns Hopkins University's Foreign Affairs Symposium with the lighthouse story, claiming, "Now this is ... true. I was in the signals intelligence business where you listen to the people talk and so on. This is true. It’s an actual recording." ]

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_
And for those claiming the lighthouse thing was a hoax and as denied as it was from the US Navy...

[In March 2008, Mike McConnell, the Director of National Intelligence in the U.S., opened his remarks to The Johns Hopkins University's Foreign Affairs Symposium with the lighthouse story, claiming, "Now this is ... true. I was in the signals intelligence business where you listen to the people talk and so on. This is true. It’s an actual recording." ]

Its a anecdote used by this person. “The point of my story is, always know who you’re talking to,” McConnell said”

more: en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 24/7/12 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_

I wish I could give your post more stars, thaat is one of the funniest things I have ever read in my life . Thanks for brightening up my day.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by rickymouse

The problem we have in the U.S. is the idiot in charge and his bank of america hating losers. They said no to the pipeline and China is going to do business in Canada. Unless we stupid americans get rid of the communists in our own government, this is the beginning of the end for our country.

China has the $ for the Oil products from Canada. The USA? who knows. Who knows for how long?

I say cut em off right now. Build the pipeline to the west coast. Fill tanker after tanker from China.

Puke on the us. Let em drill in Alaska, eat fish heads. Who cares? Who are they to you? To anyone?

Bunch of fat burger eating cousin kissing crybabies. Nick off USA.

Canada will lure a lot more from you before your under water complete. Don't worry about it.

Just saying. >u

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

China was always involved in that pipeline, they want the Canadian oil. The pipeline doesn't supply us with oil it only brings jobs to Texas to refine it. Good for people in Texas and a risk for the other states involved. It may bring some short term jobs to areas but nothing longer than two years. Risk assessment should be done then decisions made based on that.

Most of the oil produced in Alaska doesn't even come here. It is sold at a much cheaper price to Japan than we pay here. The Japanese were involved in the pipeline though. Good for Alaska and no help to the rest of the country. I Love living in America, the land of deceit. Can't say it's boring anyway. I don't know if I could comprehend living in a society where everyone told the truth. I'm so accustomed to seeing deceit all over that it would seem strange if it disappeared. The percentage of deceitful people hasn't increased really that much from when I was a kid, it's just that the size of the deceitful events is growing.

new topics

top topics

join