It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorities Seek to Destroy Couple's Immaculate Edible Landscape

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
As others have pointed out, this is a shining example of a better way to use front yard space, and it is beyond insane to hassle these people. Who wrote the "law" that all front yards needed to be lawns, which require alot of water and maintenance. It's actually quite remarkable how much yield can come from a small garden, or a few fruit trees. That couple was helping to provide fresh yummy food to thier whole neighborhood...

When we were kids, back in the day when you jumped out of bed, went out to play and may not come home till the street lights came on...we all snacked on what ever fruit tree in the neighborhood was producing. On our block we had plums, apples, oranges, pomegranents, blackberries, apricots, there was always something yummy to pick and eat, there was plenty and the neighbors shared, and were happy the kids were eating healthy snacks.

As an adult some of my fondest memories are of time spent with my daughter and other kids in numerous veggie gardens we planted together...the kids loved it and there were plenty of veggies to share with friends and neighbors...it really is just such a "basic" connection to life, earth and other humanbeings......and a RIGHT we all need to fight for......the garden nazi's can take thier lawnmowers and shove it !
edit on 25-7-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Why are restrictive gated community style policies being codified into law? One wonders if the 30/70 regulation would have been enforced if a more traditional approach to landscaping had been employed: would local authorities have kicked up as much fuss about shrubs and flowers?

I wish I knew, because I am deeply uneasy with the idea that we won't be permitted to grow food on our own properties.

Regardless, we still have our backyards, our community gardens, etc. They're gonna have a very difficult time cracking down on those.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This is beyond ridiculous. The only places in the UK where I have seen 'rules' applied are in certain new housing developments. Heck I used to have an old cottage with a front garden but nothing at the back. The front was packed with veg and some flowers and everyone used to praise it.
In fact not everyone has a back garden/yard and those that do might not get the sun round there.
I think their garden looks far nicer than a boring patch of grass with a border. Also by helping keep people healthy it's reducing the heathcare burden. What's not to like?
edit on 25-7-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by phroziac
I see freakin monsanto is doing a fine job of taking over the world. This garden looks beautiful to me. We should all grow one, what are they gonna do, lock us all up?

If everyone had their own garden on that street, or at least helped others to maintain theirs...what the hell is wrong with that?

What makes grass so beautiful and useful that it is the only thing allowed? These plants are beautiful AND provide food.

Peace

Grass is boring and its so annoying how they want everyones house to look the same!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

What is this freaking obsession with people not letting folks grow their own food ?

It's their friggen property. LEAVE THEM ALONE !

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'm not surprised that this happened. The nature of society seems to forbid good things and deeds. You're going on with it as usual, everyone is happy, and then suddenly everything is slammed down... and for what?
I think the garden's existence is cause for overturning the 30% rule, not the other way around.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
They are about to implement Napolionic laws. They already exist world wide(since 2009), and now they are starting to enforce them.

Napolionic Law.
EVERYTHING will be considered poison, every plant fruit and vegetable, UNLESS it is approved!
Who will APPROVE these food sources? Those with enough money to perform the tests such as....MONSANTO!!!

EVERY single food source will have to be approved. How will those people in the OP get there vegies approved???

People talk about when TSHTF...ha!! if that was going to happen it would be happening RIGHT NOW!

Watch the vid below, ALL OF YOU!!! Its the most important vid you'll ever see.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
At times I don't find myself very bright. I cannot really see the argument in favor of this law. The notion seems to be purely aesthetic and nothing else. There is no health issue, or safety issue, so the law itself seems to be solely built on a foundation of "this is the approved aesthetic."

If the neighbors want to get together and make a "pact" of a certain look, fair enough. But to include the policy enforcement agents who then "fine" or "jail" over this is beyond preposterous. What right does the fictional entity of the state have in this matter at all, as there is no violence and no one being "hurt" by the plants? There are no damages to anyone, except possibly to the eyes of some, but even then the whole thing is beyond subjective.

The issue to me is not the plants, the people, or even the neighborhood aesthetic, but the intrusion of the Policy Enforcement Arm of the faceless state seeing an opportunity to tax people for their particular version of art. I'm sure the Canadian government issued statements condemning the restriction of freedom of speech in countries where artists were sanctioned or killed as a result of their work....

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

reply to post by stirling

1/10th of an acre is amazing when you know how to use it. 3 Tons of food annually! Everyone should know how to do this IMO.

I have been able to grow great lettice and greens of all kinds and green onions but that is it...to gray and wet and everything else molds coastal and foggy every day so far this summer.

I think front yard eatable gardens are was prettier then grass.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
If everybody grew their own food, then supermarkets would close down, the government wouldn't be able to collect taxes, because you didn't "buy" the food from someone else, there's no money transaction, and nothing to tax. In the old days, it was ok to grow your own food, because the food itself could be used to pay the tax. You just picked a basket of tomatoes and handed that over to the tax collector. The collector went around and gathered up 10% of everybody's self-produced goods and gave that to the King. The King paid his soldiers and policemen from that tax collected from the people. The soldiers protected the land, so people could peacefully grow their own food, without worry of raids from other villages and towns and kingdoms etc..

But, to grow your own food today, is to avoid paying the tax on commerce. Because the taxman doesn't collect a portion of your self-produced goods anymore, he only deals in "cash". So, every activity you do today, must have a direct "monetary" value, so that it can be entered and recorded into the accounting books of the tax collector, measured, and apportioned properly, and easily using a digital computer, which only understands numbers.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle
reply to post by jude11

What is wrong with these people?

Ahem. They have an agenda. It came of age this year.

I can see it coming as well. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. We are being forced to eat what er are told, watch what they decide and take our meds like good little boys and girls.

Peace

Come on......maybe when you're mature enough to understand there are responsibilities to your immediate neighbors and neighborhood in general.

The adjacent houses have 'norma'' front yards....lawns with trees and landscaping. Not loaded with helter skelter raised beds of vegetables and annual crops.

if you want a damned edible garden.....put it in your damned back yard.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
What an awesome garden. I have alot of respect for well organised, well cultivated and manicured gardens and this one is beautiful. They even laid rolled black plastic before adding a gravel walkway to preserve the ground underneath. Not to mention the raised beds and wood trellace system.

I hope they win their case.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCPatriot

Originally posted by frazzle
reply to post by jude11

What is wrong with these people?

Ahem. They have an agenda. It came of age this year.

I can see it coming as well. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. We are being forced to eat what er are told, watch what they decide and take our meds like good little boys and girls.

Peace

Come on......maybe when you're mature enough to understand there are responsibilities to your immediate neighbors and neighborhood in general.

The adjacent houses have 'norma'' front yards....lawns with trees and landscaping. Not loaded with helter skelter raised beds of vegetables and annual crops.

if you want a damned edible garden.....put it in your damned back yard.

Say Bahhhhh!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Things like these are what will awaken the average American to the banquet of information they have been ignoring. They will gorge themselves and never look back to their old skimpy snacks.

Try to do anything that others can repeat which cuts out middle men like banks or Monsato. They would have massacred Gandhi and his followers trying to make salt instead of the beat down they received.

These people can't be taxed on that food and can feed themselves. Not to mention they preserve seeds through their plants that are not Monsato brand Franken seeds that only last one year.

Imagine a single seed that can produce "olden" plants being worth a fortune because it can grow plants that reproduce without the human hand (government controlled food supply)

edit on 25-7-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well, it's about time the police caught up with these monsters! They are endangering the lives of hundreds of people by recklessly...growing healthy food.

Yay fascism!

/TOA

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DCPatriot

And who exactly decides what "normal" is ? To me a garden is as normal as it gets. The only obligation i have to my neighbours at the moment is to keep the sound level down, thats about it. What if the usual lawns/trees look awful to me ? Should i report you ?
edit on 25/7/2012 by Spotless because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Wow this world makes me sick more and more everyday! I have an organic garden, rabbits and chickens, and would protect them like they were all my kids! Cudos to these people for standing there ground. P.S. I have plenty of food to help feed the revolution!

edit on 7/25/12 by iwontrun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
To sign the petition Hope I did that right its a link to sign the petition to help fight the establishment!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Absolutely ridiculous, bordering on tyranny. It's their property, they can do what they wish with it. The garden itself is beautiful, why would anyone have a problem with it?!

ARGH!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join