It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of Seniors Wait Outside Walgreens For Flu Shot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This happened yesterday at my neighborhood Walgreens (Drug Store/Pharmacy). It was absolutely crazy and bizzarre to see hundreds of seniors standing out in the hot sun waiting for these flu shots all day long. The parking lot at the the Walgreens, which is right at an intersection was crazy with traffic having to back up at times. There were police, tv crews, and lots of onlookers. A little excitement for our neighborhood.

Hundreds Wait Outside Broward County Wallgreens For Flu Vaccines
SUNRISE -- The frenzy for flu shots boiled over at a Sunrise Wallgreens on Friday, as hundreds turned out to get vaccinated and overwhelmed the staff, to the point of calling police.

"I cannot tell you what kind of a mad house it�s been," said Lucille Hochman who was waiting for a flu shot.

Customers waited on line, some for hours. Many overturned shopping carts for relief.

"Not only don�t I think it�s right, I am 84 and I need the shot and this is where I am supposed to get it. They are certainly not doing what they said they were going to do," said Buddy Nepon who was waiting for a flu shot.

Many are concerned after a British pharmaceutical company was shut down from importing the vaccines to the US. They were supposed to supply half of the nation�s flu shots, and catching up with the supply will be nearly impossible.

"The United States has to do something about it. They have to start manufacturing their own vaccines. We can�t just wait for England and other countries to do it. It�s impossible," said Hochman.

Health officials are urging healthy people not to get a flu shot this season, so those at risk can get it. Those who need it the most are children between 6 months and 2-years-old, the elderly, pregnant women, people with weak immune systems and child and healthcare providers.

Florida state officials are already warning those who may try to take advantage.

"If anybody tries to overcharge for a flu vaccine to save some money, we will throw the book at him. In fact, we will throw the library at them," said Charlie Crist, Florida Attorney General.

The company who did the immunizing at the Sunrise Wallgreens is having problems because of new CDC guidelines. There is a lengthier paperwork process. The Sunrise Wallgreens was one of the few area pharmacies with vaccines available.

I feel very sorry for these seniors, many may be in good enough health not to need the flu shot, but hysteria that seems to arise around flu season drives them to rush for the shot. I've never had the flu shot and never will, so hopefully at least one more senior can get innoculated.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
btw, i actually considered going there with an ATS sign, but I didn't want to deal with a bunch of angry seniors. probably would have been my best chance to get on tv but I have too much respect for my elders, I can't steal their spotlight.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Kinda weird they didnt get a team to actually medicate them in the state capitol. Hrmm.

I've never had the flu jab either and I never will

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Doesn't this stuff give you a mild case of the flu anyway?

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
My granny had the flu shot about 5 years ago and she got really sick,
since then she has refused to get one, anyways this is "MY" grandmother, so of course that would be the type of decision she would make.

top topics

join