It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun sales soar after Colorado shooting

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I love how people who live in gun free utopias such as england and illinois think its better to be killed with other methods than a gun. Being killed is being killed, wtf?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by bowtomonkey

Are guns easy to get in these big cities = yes
not for law-abiding citizens it's not.
Chicago had the highest crime in it's history when the gun ban was effective.

How you go about making them hard to get is a job for your gov't.
my government has NO authority to restrict my right to defend myself in any manner necessary (including with a gun).

Telling me it is your right to own them because criminals do is rubbish.
i never gave a because, that's your creation.
I own it because it's my right to do so, period.
why, bottom line, is none of your business.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma

Gun sales soar after Colorado shooting

www.news.com.au

GUN sales in Colorado have soared in the aftermath of the shooting tragedy in Aurora that claimed 12 lives and left 58 wounded.
Background checks carried out on customers as they buy guns were up 41 per cent in the wake of Friday's shooting at a packed cinema in the Colorado town, the Denver Post reports.
There was also a spike in people seeking training for a concealed carry permit, the report said.
Carrying a handgun or other weapon in public in a concealed manner is legal with a permit in 49 of the 50 US states. Illinois is the only state without such a provision.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Sucks to live in Illinois.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Consider that if 5% of the theater was CCW trained, then that guy would have at least two or three guns trained on him when he pulled his. And while armor does protect to a degree, I know at least for myself that headshots are something I'm pretty good at, and I practice in hurried situations, two center mass one to the head. If the guy were wearing full riot armor with a helmet well I would probably be screwed, but that wasn't the case. In any rate, the exact same scenario won't happen again, it will just be another crazy with a gun, and then another, and another.

You see, I firmly believe that up to the precipice of the grand changes that we will go through in life as we near closer to the golden age, the more SOME people are simply going to freak out and not handle the changes, and go nuts.

You don't have to be religious or even spiritual to identify with the fact that the world is changing fast and it is starting to screw some people up. Those that are attached to the illusion.

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by fourthmeal
I say, GOOD!

A few CCW's could have stopped this in its tracks, especially if the shooter KNEW there were CCW's all around, which there should totally be.

Wasn't the guy wearing body armour?

Seems unlikely that handguns would have done much good if he was.

And if someone does want to plan an attack like this and thinks that there will be handguns around then they are probably more likely to wear body armour - remember that pair that held up a bank while armoured up & stood the cop off for ages a few years bzack?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by magma

LOL, you people are ridiculous. When a flu pandemic starts and people rush to get vaccines you call them stupid. Some random act of violence happens, people rush to get guns and you applaud them. Zero logic.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I don't equate vaccines to arms I'm a little offended that there's an actual human being that somehow equated the two.

I applaud people to get guns and learn how to use them responsibly. Even moreso to be CCW, which is fantastic. Imagine if ALL the sheep had teeth. Wolves would probably start turning vegetarian.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Reply to post by Gauss

Get the eff outta here lol. Flu vaccines are proven to prevent illness take off your tin foil hat. A gun is a weapon. A weapon really will not do anything helpful. Esspecially since in order to be an accurate shot you need to practice. Also these people probably dont know anything about gun safety. They were certainly not screened for mental health or competence. And now you have idiots fueled by media hype going out with guns....its stupid. These tragedies are not widespread enough to elicit this type of reaction. Either way though, these are clearly not thoughtful people. Because just like people that get flu vaccines the media told them to do it. Its the same thing, you are just biased for guns.

I bet you all the money I'll ever make that vaccines damage and kill more than guns do.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

The difference in non gun places is that generally you have to get up close and personal compared to just stand 30 yards away and blast away

whats really needed in the USA i think is more education on guns so that people look at a gun and it has as much wow factor as a 5 year old cell phone and perhaps with a bit more honesty in the TV and movies where theres 100000 bullets flying at the hero and they don't get a scratch yet he can stand in the middle of it and slowly pick off the bad guys 1 by 1 and perhaps less glorification in music as well and it'll make it less glorious to try and do a 'hero'

I'd dread in some ways having too many guns especially with all the people on meds for anxiety etc as all it could take is one person to think 'that person looks dodgy and i'd better sort them out' in a public place and we're back to square one

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Reply to post by TKDRL

I swear you gun advocates are challenged. Pay close attention here, a gun is a weapon, its only purpose for being created is to inflict harm. A car is a vehicle, its only purpose for being created is to get people from point A to point B.

But if you want to go with the car analogy ok. To drive a car you have to pass a test and get a license. You have to pass a physical and eye test proving that you are fit to drive. Your license can be revoked at any time for a number of offenses. You have to register your car with the state and have your car pass inspections to prove it is fit to drive on the road. Cars are highly regulated. Car accidents just happen, its not always the case that someone is being careless. But if it is proven that someone is being careless they can be charged and be penalized up to the point of going to jail. Also, I have never heard of anyone going kamikazie on the freeway and causing a pile up. It just doesnt happen.

Gun. Anybody can obtain a gun for the most part. Most states do not require you to register your gun or to obtain a gun license. No prior training is required in order to buy or legally weild one. Unlike cars there are no tests to weed out people who should not have access to them. I mean how can you seriously think guns are regulated enough in this country?

REALLY?

Watch this car wreck, tell me this driver didn't go "kamikaze" and create a pile-up.
www.youtube.com...

And F you for trying to derail this thread by using fallacy after fallacy, like analogizing it to vaccines, and car wrecks. Just leave this thread now.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by acmpnsfal

When someone picks up a gun, their intent is to harm someone. Thats the only thing a gun is useful for lol.

You have got to be trolling...... You really think everytime someone picks up a gun their intent is to harm someone? Seriously? No one can be that heavily brainwashed......

Ok lets see, if you are not hunting or at a gun range, what other possible reasons would there be to pull out a gun?
edit on 25-7-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

To make the would-be assailant realize that you won't be a victim of their actions, and that their actions have consequences that will directly affect them should they continue.

This is quite obvious. A gun is used as a check against the unchecked.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

lol United States still thinks alot like some western heroes. There is a shooting? Then Let's buy guns so that we can shoot before the bad guy shoots!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

You are thinking about the North Hollywood shoot out I believe. They had on ballistic vests and several layers of highly padded body armor. They were also on drugs and part time body builders.

However, there are various levels of ballistic vests available. If the shooter was wearing a IIA a 7.62x25 pistol very well could have ended the whole thing. A .357 magnum loaded with jacketed soft point ammo or any other number of handguns could have put him out of the fight. Even wearing a IIIA vest might not have been enough if he wasn't wearing a trauma pad. Multiple hits from a handgun could have done enough damage to slow or stop him long enough to prevent many injuries or deaths. It may have been enough to give people time to subdue him.

This is one time though when I don't think CCW would have really turned the tide. The theater was dark, filling with smoke, and there was a chaotic crowd fighting to get out of there.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bowtomonkey
Buy all the guns you like but the obvious problem is that they are too easy to get. Countries with strict gun laws never have this problem and I don't only refer to nut jobs. I'm tired of hearing Americans state that they need guns because criminals have them. They wouldn't have them if the laws were workable.

Mexico says hello. Brazil says hello.

“We don’t have as many guns [in Brazil] as the United States, but we use them more.

Chocolates for guns? Brazil targets gun violence, Rubem César Fernandes, executive secretary of Viva Rio, a nongovernmental agency that studies urban crime, Christian Science Monitor, August 10, 1999

Brazil has registration, ownership limits, and bans any new sales to civilians. Yet their murder rate is still higher than the US on a per capita basis.

The Jokela school massacre in Finland in 2007 happened despite tight registration and application laws.

Do some research before speaking in such general terms.
edit on 25-7-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001

lol United States still thinks alot like some western heroes. There is a shooting? Then Let's buy guns so that we can shoot before the bad guy shoots!

We wouldn't have the problems we do today if we had the same laws we did in the 1800's. Back then everyone was packing heat and within the borders of the states (not territories which were in the frontier) people obeyed the law. The frontier was lawless though but in the states themselves crime was pretty low because most of the criminals went out west to the frontier. Out there it was like Bonanza. Getting hanged was a major deterrant for crime and back then you could be hanged for beating your wife or spitting on the sidewalk. They didn't fool around with criminals the way we do now, Nowadays the taxpayers spend millions of dollars to keep them alive for 20-25 years, but back then you were tried, convicted and most cases hanged the next morning, you got your last supper the evening before and the next morning you found yourself standing in front of God.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

True.
I read a Rockfeller's report on futures extrapolation. One of the variables is the strictness of laws. More strict they are, less freedom people have but less crimes happens. Less strict, and you get chaos.
Crazy how mankind is hard to deal with.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Originally posted by bowtomonkey
Buy all the guns you like but the obvious problem is that they are too easy to get. Countries with strict gun laws never have this problem and I don't only refer to nut jobs. I'm tired of hearing Americans state that they need guns because criminals have them. They wouldn't have them if the laws were workable.

Mexico says hello. Brazil says hello.

“We don’t have as many guns [in Brazil] as the United States, but we use them more.

Chocolates for guns? Brazil targets gun violence, Rubem César Fernandes, executive secretary of Viva Rio, a nongovernmental agency that studies urban crime, Christian Science Monitor, August 10, 1999

Brazil has registration, ownership limits, and bans any new sales to civilians. Yet their murder rate is still higher than the US on a per capita basis.

The Jokela school massacre in Finland in 2007 happened despite tight registration and application laws.

Do some research before speaking in such general terms.

Of course I'm going to be general. You use anything you can to defend yourself and context has gone out the window.

Not a single person here has made a case for gun ownership as a means of protection, in the long run. If that's too big a generalisation, too bad because I'd have thought making America safer for the kids, or maybe their kids was a worthy ideal.

Why you mention Brazil and Mexico, I don't know. Are they America's peers now? Okay so you admit you can't cut it with countries like Australia and the UK, and you think Finland is equal to Mexico now. I wonder how far you will go to force people into wider and wider generalizations.

Me, love guns. I understand the powerful feeling they give you and I don't need to hear any more. I would never attempt the BS you guys are using. People like you are a laughing stock here. There's not a snow flakes chance in hell that I'd support reintroducing them into Australia even though I was against the massive gun bu-back that happened after the Port Author massacre. It's safe here. It's not safe in the US unless you're prepared to pull a gun, which in case Hollywood has broken your brain, means shooting to kill and being shot at!!!

I shudder at the thought of guns being so prolific there is NO WAY to get them off the street and as you prove, making them harder to get just disadvantages honest people, hahaha. You think that is a valid argument. It's proof that the ideology you support is deadly.

She swallowed a spider to catch a fly...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

You do understand that the violent crime rate in the UK, New Zealand, and Austrailia have higher violent crime rates per capita than the US, right. Even including guns the US is actually less dangerous than all of those countries. Scotland has been labeled the most dangerous devoloped nation in the world by the UN. The UK has been labelled the most dangerous are in the EU with a violent crime rate about double the US.

Don't preach to me about safety. I guess it is more safe for criminals in the UK since they can prey on the populace without fear. It isn't more safe for the average person though.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I have noticed that the not so Americans in this thread seem to have no idea the regulations involved in purchasing a firearm legally within the US so I will enlighten.

When I go to purchase a firearm it's not like going to the corner store for a 24 oz can of beer.

I live in Wyoming, the most lax state when it comes to gun laws and the highest percentage of gun owners per capita of any state within the US including Texas.. We also, btw have the lowest violent crime rate per capita of any state within the US. Even so...

I walk into a gun shop and pick out the firearm I would like to purchase..

Before I can purchase a firearm I have to fill out a little form with all my information, which includes name, address, social security number, drivers license number, known criminal history, CCW status etc etc etc..

Then the FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder gives the FBI a ring to do a background check to which the FBI will then answer whether or not I am a suitable candidate for firearm ownership or whether I throw up red flags (aka known psychiatric conditions).

There may or may not be a waiting period (in Wyoming and definitely in other states especially with handguns or semi-automatic rifles) depending on what the FBI says. They may, and can turn you down completely to which you are pretty much SOL. I know a couple people that were turned down and did not have any felonies but something about them threw up some red flags.

(In most other states) This is where you fill out your firearms registry paperwork in order to register your firearm with the authorities. So basically TPTB know what guns you own at all times (not here though, we don't have to register our firearms)

Save for the case in Aurora most of the time these shooters have a criminal record which would hinder them from being able to legally purchase a firearm.

Is it super strict? No. Would it in most cases keep a violent person from legally obtaining a firearm? Yup.

Hence the reason most gun crimes and acts of violence are committed with illegal firearms.

Bottom line though.. Owning firearms is as American as black pudding and after noon tea is to Brits... Right or wrong that's just how it is and I wish the world would see it for what it is.. American tradition..

Heck I remember what it was like to fired my first gun... It was a real milestone and one of the fondest memories I will ever have with my grandfather... One in the future I hope to share with my son...
edit on 26-7-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Not a single person here has made a case for gun ownership as a means of protection, in the long run.
then i would guess you didn't read ANY of this thread or you would have read my statements, here
www.abovetopsecret.com... - on page 3
so, are you willing to retract or apologize for your nonsense ?

as for kids, most of them start shooting around age 8, so what's your point?
America has always been safer when you're able to "pull a gun", since it's inception.

did you know that our Founding Fathers had mandatory gun ownership laws?
kinda like the Swiss and they don't seem to be killing each other off quite like the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Lol.. I grew up in Illinois.. Believe me when I say they have guns.. oh yes.. they do..

Of course not further north in places like Chicago..

I like how people who live in a country without guns think they are free of gun crime..

---------------------------------------------------------

And for those who think guns are useless for protection let me give you a scenario...

You come into my house to rob it for some easy cash... You hear the slide of my shotgun close (which is quite loud and quite obvious as to what it is.. )..

Now tell me.. Would you stay and continue to rob me? Or would you GTFO of there before I peppered you with lead?

Even if you were armed... would you take that chance?

case closed.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Seriously... wtf people. Let's not use our intellect to defend ourselves with a technological device of any sort!!!

Originally posted by phroziac
I love how people who live in gun free utopias such as england and illinois think its better to be killed with other methods than a gun. Being killed is being killed, wtf?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join