It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun sales soar after Colorado shooting

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BurningSpearess
reply to post by bowtomonkey

Flashback: Norway...A year ago...

Give me all the examples you like, however America's murder rate and the sheer number of shootings makes it perfectly clear that America's ideas about guns makes it unsafe.

Like I said, do what you like, but just don't use BS examples to create the false ideas that guns save lives etc etc

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by TKDRL

Are you serious? The majority of homocides in the US resulted from use of a firearm. Accidental deaths because of firearms are also pretty high. Guns need to have stricter laws surrounding who can have them.

Even without that though, if gun violence is not a big deal then why do you support people running out and buying guns to 'protect' themselves? I mean gun violence isnt a problem so why do you need one?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Unfortunately the propaganda is already to thick to get through to these guys.

They'll use any excuse they can think up and they absolutely don't want facts.

I'm not personally against gun ownership. Not at all, but I'm not going to lie to people and say that it makes you safer.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Out of like 300 million guns in the US....... The crimes vs. the number of people that own guns are less than 1%......

Why should sweeping laws should be written, because of an innate fear of less than 1% of the population? People act as if there is a massive shooting every other week in the US or something.
edit on Tue, 24 Jul 2012 20:11:58 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

because in countries with rational gun laws the rate of murder is 100 x less

Do you know what the murder rate in America is and where it is placed compared to most other 1st world countries?

Wish we didn't have to deal with all this American BS propaganda.

Deny ignorance anyone??

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

If it was someone you knew in that 1%, would you feel the same way
edit on 24-7-2012 by phrankie79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by phrankie79

Yes. That's like asking if I knew someone who died in a car crash, or got run over(which I do, both of them), would I be anticar? It's a stupid question. I don't fear inanimate objects, tools. A gun is a tool. A car is a tool.
edit on Tue, 24 Jul 2012 21:20:55 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Oh and by the way gun owners do not have to go through training nor do they have to get a license to purchase a gun. Also they are not being screened. So any one of those people buying a gun could go psycho tomorrow.

This is completely false. Firearm rules vary state by state. Which state are you referring to? I live in New York and we have a significant application process to obtain a pistol or hand gun. Rules for rifles and shot guns are less restrictive. There is some truth of your statement if you're referring long guns, such as shot guns or rifles. But, no matter which state you live in, a federal FBI background check is performed for felonies before you are able to walk out of that store with that weapon.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

Anyway if i woulda been there this guy would be dead now.
edit on 24-7-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

Everybody's a hero in their own mind.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Reply to post by TKDRL

I swear you gun advocates are challenged. Pay close attention here, a gun is a weapon, its only purpose for being created is to inflict harm. A car is a vehicle, its only purpose for being created is to get people from point A to point B.

But if you want to go with the car analogy ok. To drive a car you have to pass a test and get a license. You have to pass a physical and eye test proving that you are fit to drive. Your license can be revoked at any time for a number of offenses. You have to register your car with the state and have your car pass inspections to prove it is fit to drive on the road. Cars are highly regulated. Car accidents just happen, its not always the case that someone is being careless. But if it is proven that someone is being careless they can be charged and be penalized up to the point of going to jail. Also, I have never heard of anyone going kamikazie on the freeway and causing a pile up. It just doesnt happen.

Gun. Anybody can obtain a gun for the most part. Most states do not require you to register your gun or to obtain a gun license. No prior training is required in order to buy or legally weild one. Unlike cars there are no tests to weed out people who should not have access to them. I mean how can you seriously think guns are regulated enough in this country?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Reply to post by Cosmic911

Nope, not false. Most states do not have an exhaustive process that ensures only people who wil use them correctly own guns.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

There isn't one sentence in the post I quoted this is 100% true. What you stated about screenings is completely false. Now, there is great variety in the vetting process between the states, that is true. There is also a great difference between purchasing a handgun and long gun in most states. Regardless, a FBI background check is performed each time a weapon is purchased, handgun or long gun, in each state. That is federal law.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Yet those "heavily regulated" non weapons seem to kill more, and to boot, there are more guns in the US than cars.

In 2003, 42,643 people were killed in auto accidents. 30,136 were killed by guns, counting suicides, which made up more than half that number(16,907).

My whole point, is asking if I would suddenly fear a tool because one killed someone I knew is a stupid concept altogether!

I knew one guy shot and killed, no I still don't have an irrational fear of guns. I know numerous people killed in car wrecks, and hit as pedestrians, and no I don't irrationally fear cars. Get the point?
edit on Tue, 24 Jul 2012 22:22:02 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Reply to post by magma

LOL, you people are ridiculous. When a flu pandemic starts and people rush to get vaccines you call them stupid. Some random act of violence happens, people rush to get guns and you applaud them. Zero logic.

It seems reverse psychology didn't work in this case. If anything the talk of the UN gun law only drove a uptick in sales... Same thing happened when Obama was talking of banning guns during his moments in office. People are now buying more guns because they want to conceal carry just in case another freak-out of the end times happens.

Also, flu vaccines do not work.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911

There isn't one sentence in the post I quoted this is 100% true. What you stated about screenings is completely false. Now, there is great variety in the vetting process between the states, that is true. There is also a great difference between purchasing a handgun and long gun in most states. Regardless, a FBI background check is performed each time a weapon is purchased, handgun or long gun, in each state. That is federal law.

Lol, first of all, you completely ignored the point in my original post where I said most states do not require training, license, or a permit to purchase a gun that is not false. Im not talking about FBI background checks, clearly felons cannot obtain guns. Im talking about screening the person to make sure the firearm is being sold to someone of sound mind. These are dangerous weapons, they should not be given to people who are not mentally stable, or competent. They should also not be given to drug users. Not having a criminal background says zero about the person purchasing the firearm.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Yet those "heavily regulated" non weapons seem to kill more, and to boot, there are more guns in the US than cars.

In 2003, 42,643 people were killed in auto accidents. 30,136 were killed by guns, counting suicides, which made up more than half that number(16,907).

My whole point, is asking if I would suddenly fear a tool because one killed someone I knew is a stupid concept altogether!

I knew one guy shot and killed, no I still don't have an irrational fear of guns. I know numerous people killed in car wrecks, and hit as pedestrians, and no I don't irrationally fear cars. Get the point?
edit on Tue, 24 Jul 2012 22:22:02 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Ok. You really are not getting this. Its not that hard to understand. More people die from car accidents, ok. But the main purpose of a car is transportation, people are not intentionally going out in their cars planning to crash into each other. And imagine how many more fatalities there would be if all you had to do in order to drive was not commit a crime. Most car accidents are incidences of human error in most cases and of course you can factor in weather, car malfunctions, etc. Nobody is afraid of guns, lol. A gun is not a tool a wrench is a tool, a gun is a WEAPON.

Anywho, if you are mentally stable and mentally competent why are you worried about this? Nobody wants to take your precious guns away, but there does need to be a better system in place to educate people on what they are buying and how to use it before it gets put in their hands. How hard would it be to set up a process like the DMV for guns? If you want a gun you learn how to properly use it and take the test, its that easy. The state gives you a license or permit, they have all your guns registered in the system. Problem solved nothing for anyone to complain about.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar

Reply to post by magma

LOL, you people are ridiculous. When a flu pandemic starts and people rush to get vaccines you call them stupid. Some random act of violence happens, people rush to get guns and you applaud them. Zero logic.

Also, flu vaccines do not work.

Years of medical science says they do.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

No apparently you are not getting it.........
Have fun trying to convince the masses to join your irrational fear of inanimate tool disorder, or whatever it is you have.

A gun is a tool, created for a specific purpose, just like every other tool. I find it hilarious you want to bash a tool "made to kill people" as antigun nuts just love to say, yet these specific tools kill less than tools made to "save lives", like medicines and hospitals. Than tools made to travel. Yet the guns are the ones to be afraid of in your little world.

edit on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 00:26:52 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
LOL, did you seriously just say that guns kill less people than hospitals and medicine? I understand why you fear the regulations I mentioned. Your head clearly is not screwed on that tight.

edit on 25-7-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Reply to post by TKDRL

Eh, well if less than one percent of the population is using a weapon that causes the majority of murders in the country clearly something needs to be done. A good number of gun homocides are gang related but certainly not all. Most accidental deaths by guns do not happen in cities and a lot of people still die from that. You could also factor in suicides and the number of deaths would be even higher. Anyway, you cant give me a justification for why anyone needs a gun for protection. Simple answer, they dont.

so, where were you when i needed to discharge my firearm and disable an intruder?
since, i'm one in a million (or so), why shouldn't i have the ability to exercise my right to defend myself and others ??

in case it need be said, the intruder was not armed with a gun but she was armed all the same.
are you of the impression that i should be morbidly/fatally wounded because you don't want me to have a gun ?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bowtomonkey

Out of like 300 million guns in the US....... The crimes vs. the number of people that own guns are less than 1%......

Why should sweeping laws should be written, because of an innate fear of less than 1% of the population? People act as if there is a massive shooting every other week in the US or something.
edit on Tue, 24 Jul 2012 20:11:58 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

because in countries with rational gun laws the rate of murder is 100 x less

Do you know what the murder rate in America is and where it is placed compared to most other 1st world countries?

Wish we didn't have to deal with all this American BS propaganda.

Deny ignorance anyone??
yep, about 63rd ... just discussed it in another thread. need the link?

so, that means 62 other countries are much worse off than we are.
also, in America, debating a RIGHT should be outlawed already.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

No, I am just clearly more read up on the subject then you are.
Link

ALL THESE ARE DEATHS PER YEAR:

12,000 -- unnecessary surgery
7,000 -- medication errors in hospitals
20,000 -- other errors in hospitals
80,000 -- infections in hospitals
106,000 -- non-error, negative effects of drugs

Even if you leave off the last 106,000 non-error deaths, you get 129,000 deaths by doctor. Who's head is not screwed on right? Highly regulated doctors still kill more per year then the "loosely regulated" tools made specificly for killing.
edit on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 00:43:43 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join