It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westboro Baptist Church

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Everyone is up in arms about the Westboro Baptist Church idiots planning on protesting the funeral for the shooting victims in Colorado, which is understandable. Recently, a friend linked a video on Facebook with a group of people (I will call them Group A because I forget their name) protesting some Islam rally, telling them they were going to burn in hell and probably calling them terrorists. The point of the video was to highlight how the police didn't do enough to protect Group A, and how Group A eventually got kicked out of the rally because people were throwing rocks at them and #.

Why is it okay to throw rocks at the Westboro people for saying God hates fags (at a Gay Pride march) and God hates soldiers (at a military parade funeral thing), but it's not okay to throw rocks at Group A for saying all Muslims will burn in hell (at a Muslim rally)?

Check it out homies, both of these idiots are protected by the Bill of Rights and all that, but when they become a danger to the public then the police are fully within their rights to kick them out. It is ridiculous to expect them to summon up the National Guard so you can tell a bunch of people they are going to burn in hell. The only reason the WBC people get more protection than Group A is because EVERYONE knows the WBC people are assholes looking to start trouble; Group A merely informed the police that they wanted to pass out fliers, according to the video, which was created by Group A, and originally posted by Group A. I doubt they told the police they were going to try and incite a riot. Maybe then they would have gotten more barricades and what-not by informing them ahead of time.

I am all for the Bill of Rights and freedom of assembly/freedom of speech.

I am all for violating the hell out of those rights if someone is being a total idiot with a total disregard for public safety or their own safety (wannabe martyrs, etc).

In short, I hope people throw rocks at the WBC protesters, if they do protest, and I'm glad people threw rocks at Group A. I don't think the throwing of rocks is "right" or even "justifiable", since what they're doing is technically what the Bill of Rights was written for... but man, those assholes deserve it anyways. EAT ROCKS YOU WESTBORO IDIOTS

Really, I think it can be argued that protesting some stuff like that, in that manner, is not "peaceably" assembling, since they know it's going to instigate people, but whatever... I am not a fan of instigators (unless I'm doing the instigating).
edit on 24-7-2012 by Vrill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Mostly because people like to pick and choose who they want to have rights and who they don't.

Can't have the people you disagree with having the same rights you do, that would be insane...

Great thread :up;

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
They probably won't show up. These people have been running a racket for years. They go out and provoke people and then when the people respond, they sue them for violating their civil rights.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Freedom of speech is a bitch aint it.

I may not like it, but Ill defend those morons rights to do it...

But on a personal note,

Tares in the wheat. these people are evil.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Yeah i posted in that thread.
and what it came down to was this.

en.wikipedia.org...

Imminent Lawless Action.

Under the imminent lawless action test, speech is not protected by the First Amendment if the speaker intends to incite a violation of the law that is both imminent and likely

if your words are about to incite a riot. then you aren't covered by free speech.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

I can't remember the name of the video, but I saw it too. Have to say that neither side appeared to be on the side of god. No forgiveness. No brotherly love. Just hate. It makes me sick.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vrill
In short, I hope people throw rocks at the WBC protesters, if they do protest, and I'm glad people threw rocks at Group A. I don't think the throwing of rocks is "right" or even "justifiable", since what they're doing is technically what the Bill of Rights was written for... but man, those assholes deserve it anyways. EAT ROCKS YOU WESTBORO IDIOTS

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. (John 8:11)

While I think people who blame the soldiers for the actions of TPTB are ignorant scum, this "church" appears to feed off the controversy it stirs up. Edmund Burke said that all that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing but I think more violent speech and acts will only feed the war machine. I'm no Aggies fan, but if there's one thing we can learn from them it's that you can shut WBC up with an epic human wall Red Rover game.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Westboro Baptist Church makes me laugh. Seen lots of videos about it in YouTube. It seems that "God hates people who die, that's because they die". Its like if anyone dies anywhere in the World, got hates him/her. They claim that they are only true Christians in the world. They have their own bible, written again to fit their religion.

They are not Christians, they are cult. They have made their own religion, where God hates everyone except WBC members. Freedom of Speech is good thing, but I call this Blasphemy.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The second we in the Western World start preventing people from protesting is the second we become no better than the people we claim are evil.

They are sick. They are cruel. They are hurtful. They also have free speech.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Rock throwing is dangerous, being an idiot shouting God Hates Fags is not dangerous. There is your difference and why the law protect one group of morons over another.

HOWEVER.. Im all for throwing rocks at everyone. Just walk around with a basket or backpack full of rocks and throw them at people with their pants sagging, blondes ( cause I always wanted blonde hair and couldnt have it) and especially teenagers... just chuck a deadly missile at whatever annoys you. I prefer chunks of bricks in a basket beside the chair on my porch ( I should have played baseball because I discovered Im a hell of a shot) or my handy tube sock I stole from my husband with a brick in it.

anyway, forgive me.. Ive had one ROTTEN day.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

It's long and boring, but you only have to jump to a random point and look/listen to one of the Group A people to see that they are there for the sole purpose of starting #. You can see it in their body language and in their tone of voice. They informed the police or the city or someone ahead of time that they would be there, passing out fliers and talking to people, but I don't think that whoever they informed realized that it wasn't going to be peaceful or respectful or anything, so they didn't plan accordingly. Understand, though, that this area of Michigan, and maybe all of Michigan, has had all kinds of racial tension, and they for real hate the # out of arabs of any kind and have for a long time (long before 9/11). So maybe the police simply didn't have enough people, because they had to protect the Muslims that everybody hates. I dunno. The video only shows the one point of view, and it is edited (and also conveniently barely ever shows the placards the Group A people are holding) and blah blah.

I went to stay with my cousin for 2 weeks or so when I was in high school, and he lives in Ferndale, which is I guess a suburb of Detroit, near the "infamous" 8 Mile Road (Insane Clown Posse and possibly Eminem went to the same school as him). He kept talking about "A-Rabs", a term I had never heard before and actually needed explained to me, and complained about how they run all the "party stores" (convenience stores? MI is weird) and something something racist something. He also told me that if you see a black person in his neighborhood, it's because they are stealing a bicycle... and I swear to God, the first time I saw a black man in his neighborhood, the dude was riding a pink girl's bicycle. So. # is kind of messed up over there, lol. It's not at all surprising to me that they would be anti-Muslim.

My whole point is that they were stupid for going there in the first place, just like the Westboro people are stupid for doing what they do, because you KNOW that stuff isn't going to have a happy ending. It's not in our nature. That's why they go to these places they shouldn't go in the first place. Then they act all surprised when people throw # at them and try to play Mr. Sue-Em-All like they're going to get the whole town into huge legal trouble for not stopping people from throwing rocks at them when they showed up to tell the rock-throwers that they should and will burn in hell for the crime of being alive. PLEASE~!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I have always believed the Phelps people are trying to kill the First Amendment with reverse psychology. That's to say that they know most people don't really believe in free speech. Most people only believe in free speech when they agree with what's being said. As soon as something pisses them off, they want that person to be punished.

So Phelps and his clan go around doing the most outrageously infuriating things they can think of. And of course, the effects are cumulative. It's a running storyline. The longer it goes, the more people know about it. Just like any negative propaganda. They build it up more and more until people are in a frenzy calling for censorship. It doesn't matter that this is one little group making all this noise and most people don't picket funerals with "God hates fags" signs. What matters is getting people upset enough to support censorship.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It is not ok to throw rocks at EITHER group. Violence is immature unless it is in self-defense of a physical attack, and even then, it is better to walk away (In SOME situations). It is no one's fault if you do not have a disciplined mind to understand tolerance and patience, you do not have the right to harm someone for their views.

top topics

join