It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death by Gun Control...The truth about gun control laws...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

i read a comment that stated, "would you defend your home from an intruder with a gun, with a spatula".
The real question is, why does the intruder have access to the gun in the first.
Then the argument is "americans have the right to bear arms as defence".
But surely if guns were restricted to military and hunting purposes, then the pshychos would have to go learn thai boxing or ninjitsu to do any real mass murder.

over 9000 people were muredered by guns in the US last year.
Compared to 42 gun related fatalities in the UK.

here are some interesting facts linked below

www.bradycampaign.org...

www.juancole.com...

as guns are so readily available and it has become such an accesible novelty, in many countries it will become impossible to decrease the maniacs with deadly weapons without out changing the constitution, as the gun weilders immediatly look down to those lines of law as the reason there should be lethal weaponary one room away from your newborn and in the pocket of the crak head fanatascist.

peace
matt

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Great thread op. I could'nt agree more. Folks need to understand that 7 of 10 Americans own more than one gun.
That's a staggering amount of firepower. If there's ever a Government agency tasked with "taking" our firearms it will have to be a really damn big one. I see no way of that happening, I mean I really don't. If they crack down here, we'll hide them there sort of thing.

I just can't see that ever happening, it would be a massive effort to "dis-arm America". It would surely lead to violence with said firearms of the people. If it was'nt for our 2nd Amendment rights, we would'nt have any rights at all. We have fallen that far.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
...they don't work. The end result is usually death of millions of people, usually at the hands of their own tyrannical governments.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

jpfo.org...

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

"The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, ... or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of the press."

Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
edit on 24-7-2012 by thehoneycomb because: spelling

We have more gun violence than any civilization in history. The "good guys" are saying that if we limit their guns, the"bad guys" will gain the upper hand and have more weapons. Liberals are sayng that having this many weapons makes it easier for them to fall into rogue hands and commit acts of mass destruction. Sound familiar??? Its weapons proliferation 101. Just like the cold war. Thats where we are.. The big diffeence is that its the same companies arming both sides now...and getting paid handsomely for it. Most GOP and DEMS agree that assault rifles, body armor, and drum magazines should be limited severely or banned altogether... Mike Savage (who is THE BIGGEST GUN ADVOCATE ON THE RIGHT!!!!) said he believes so last night on his show.. That drum magazines, grenades, tear gas, and body armor should be BANNED... He also said he gave 25k to the NRA a few years ago, and they treat him like dirt... He said that the NRA does not have the best interest of the US at heart anymore.. they have been SOLD OUT to the gun manufacturers, and are funded largely by foreign gun manufacturers...

Here are the facts... the majority of people in the US, the majority of legislators, (both GOP and DEMS) believe the same thing on many areas of gun control, but are scared whitless by the NRA. This group of lobbyists i smore dangerous than a standing army against our great nation.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
A couple of molotov cocktail firebombs throw at the exits and into the crowd could have caused as many casualties (even up to total loss of life if he burned down the theatre)...if that had happened I doubt that there would be a hue and cry to outlaw glass bottles and gasoline.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostpanther

i read a comment that stated, "would you defend your home from an intruder with a gun, with a spatula".
The real question is, why does the intruder have access to the gun in the first.
But surely if guns were restricted to military and hunting purposes, then the pshychos would have to go learn thai boxing or ninjitsu to do any real mass murder.

www.bradycampaign.org...

www.juancole.com...

as guns are so readily available and it has become such an accesible novelty, in many countries it will become impossible to decrease the maniacs with deadly weapons without out changing the constitution, as the gun weilders immediatly look down to those lines of law as the reason there should be lethal weaponary one room away from your newborn and in the pocket of the crak head fanatascist.

peace
matt

why does that intruder have access to that firearm? BECAUSE HE'S A CRIMINAL! more than likely didn't purchase the firearm legally. therefor outlawing firearms would render lawabiding citizes helpless during these situations because criminals would still buy them illegally!

9000 people murdered by guns? so the answer would be to outlaw them?
over 16000 people are killed by drunk drivers every year, should alcahol be outlawed too?

edit on 26-7-2012 by wilson417 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Unfortunately, like it or not, gun control definitely DOES work. Japan is a great example. It's very difficult (not impossible) to get a gun in Japan, and the kinds of guns you can actually get are limited. A country of 128 million people with about 1 personal gun per 200 people. 11 homicides by gun per year vs. 9,146 in the USA.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The fact is that a gun is an inert object - 9000 murders or 1.5 million lives protected in the US every year. With guns it all comes down to the same thing - people.

And they can make one of two choices be a citizen or a criminal - if they choose to be a criminal and use a gun to harm people there rights should be removed first. And if it was premeditated murder they should die - slowly.

This BS about punishment is the problem - punishment is a deterrent and if its not working its not strong enough. Prisons as a retirement home is also non sense - if you are so dangerous to society that you can't ever be free then your time here is done.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It's a whole different subject, but yes alcohol should be illegal as long as marijuana is. The same goes for caffeine and nicotine. All three are worse for your body and more addictive than THC. I guess the two subjects are related in a way, because marijuana is illegal for the same reason effective gun control is hard to get going in the US, which is big business and powerful lobbies, not logic or reason.

Gun control can work and it has worked in some places. People who say otherwise are ignoring reality in favor of their emotional take on the subject. Sure, the laws we have now in the US aren't working, but that's because they're weak laws. Saying that current gun control laws only make it harder for citizens to get guns legally doesn't mean gun control can't work. Saying that gun control policies in other countries have failed doesn't mean all gun control policies are doomed to fail. Reality says gun control can work. Our gun laws are partially shaped, at least indirectly, by the NRA. Of course the resulting laws are weak and ineffective. Quote Jefferson or post Heston videos all day long and pretend you're saying something substantial on the subject, but no one wants to take away all guns. You're letting your emotions be manipulated to serve the interests of a big business. Oh well, it's the American way after all.
edit on 26-7-2012 by MysticStrummer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

www.bradycampaign.org...

www.juancole.com...

peace
matt

That intruder had a weapon because there are and always will be illegal arms dealers who will never have an issue providing any criminal with their weapon of choice. Restricting arms to military and hunting will not eliminate these illegal arms dealers. And so prohibiting those who buy arms legally from purchasing and/or possessing arms only serves to give the advantage to those already engaged in criminal activity.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I have no idea how you drew that conclusion.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Gun control is a very good thing. Here in Finland we have very low rate of people dying from gun shots or murders done with a gun. This year I think there has been one reported news about someone shooting and I think it was police officer whos gun accidently went off on a guard in some firing range cafeteria or something.

Also for criminals of course they can get a gun but it's not like they use it on some civilians or innocent people. Here if you shoot someone the punished is very harsh. Of course we don't have jail system like the USA has and our punishments are not so harsh. Life in prison in here is around 12 years but we have a good rehabilitation system. There are no rapes in here prisons or murders ever. If someone died or was raped here is prison the Warden would be in huge problems and would probably be fired off the spot with internal investigations going.

We have very strict policy here who can carry arms and you have to go to interview before your first permit, also you must be a member of a gun club certain amount of time.

Now with school shootings here couple of years ago the guns are even harder to get and the interview is even more strict.

Also here we have a duty for everyone to go to army and everyone will get to shoot with an assault rifle and if you are lucky like me, you get to shoot with a bazooka and throw grenades. Everyone here who has gone to army knows how to use arms but that's about it.

I don't get you saying that if you don't have guns "government" will murder you, that is the most stupidest thing I have ever heard and pasting some data from Stalins USSR and Hitlers Germany. lol

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraggleRock

www.bradycampaign.org...

www.juancole.com...

peace
matt

That intruder had a weapon because there are and always will be illegal arms dealers who will never have an issue providing any criminal with their weapon of choice. Restricting arms to military and hunting will not eliminate these illegal arms dealers. And so prohibiting those who buy arms legally from purchasing and/or possessing arms only serves to give the advantage to those already engaged in criminal activity.

exactly!

thank you sir!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Keep hearing Americans banging on about how they need their guns or they lose their freedom blah blah etc. Sounds like a bunch of bull# to me, here in Australia its very difficult to legally buy a weapon, and buying one illegally was unheard of almost untill about ten years ago, when we started getting alot of middle eastern crime in the outer suburbs of Sydney. We all do quite alright without a #load of guns lying around, and we always have. You cant legally purchase semi-automatic rifles here, only hunting rifles and pistol license is hard to get as well. i think you have to shoot at a range supervised for something like six months before you can even start shooting at a range by yourself.

Anyways, the point is, nobody has guns over here and we dont have anywhere near the associated problems, and nobody is making a racket about not being able to gt guns for themselves

edit on 26-7-2012 by BeReasonable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PolarBoss

Also for criminals of course they can get a gun but it's not like they use it on some civilians or innocent people.

OF COURSE THATS WHO THEY WILL USE THE GUN ON!

why the hell would they even have the gun in the first place if they didn't inted on having the upper hand on civilians or innocent people.

this by far the most rediculous statement i've ever heard from someone who is pro anit-gun.

"oh of course criminals can get a gun illegally but dont worry citizens, its not like criminals have ever robbed you, or killed innocent people, or robbed a bank, or mugged anyone. its ok if criminals have guns they wont break the law or harm you in any way with it"

and yes that was a very sarcastic statement....

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PolarBoss

totally agree, same here in Australia. It seems the gun culture is so strong in the US that they cant see themselves without guns everywhere. ithink its terrifying that theUS has that attitude towards guns. I heard a guy in the US media the other day say ''well you know things like this are going to happen from time to time, not much we can do about it''. i was thinking WTF? what an excellent way to deal with a problem

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeReasonable

Keep hearing Americans banging on about how they need their guns or they lose their freedom blah blah etc. Sounds like a bunch of bull# to me, here in Australia its very difficult to legally buy a weapon, and buying one illegally was unheard of almost untill about ten years ago, when we started getting alot of middle eastern crime in the outer suburbs of Sydney. We all do quite alright without a #load of guns lying around, and we always have. You cant legally purchase semi-automatic rifles here, only hunting rifles and pistol license is hard to get as well. i think you have to shoot at a range supervised for something like six months before you can even start shooting at a range by yourself.

Anyways, the point is, nobody has guns over here and we dont have anywhere near the associated problems, and nobody is making a racket about not being able to gt guns for themselves

edit on 26-7-2012 by BeReasonable because: (no reason given)

thats because you are Australia, and we are the United States of America! our constitution gives us the right to keep and bear arms. we might as well live in a communist nation if all of our freedoms are taken from us. the fact is, not every single person that owns a gun goes around killing people with it. i can assure you that 90
+ % of the cun related crimes are commited from those that purchase them illegally.

i personally own almost 50 different guns, some hand guns, some hunting rifles, some shot guns, some assault rifles and 2 fully autmatic rifles. i have a 2 year old and 4 year old in my house along with my wife and 3 dogs. never once has my firearms taken the life of another human being. why is that? because i am a law obiding citizen, crimes are commited by criminals, not law abiding citizens. so why should we punish the law abiding citizen so the criminals can acheive victory?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wilson417

Originally posted by PolarBoss

Also for criminals of course they can get a gun but it's not like they use it on some civilians or innocent people.

OF COURSE THATS WHO THEY WILL USE THE GUN ON!

why the hell would they even have the gun in the first place if they didn't inted on having the upper hand on civilians or innocent people.

this by far the most rediculous statement i've ever heard from someone who is pro anit-gun.

"oh of course criminals can get a gun illegally but dont worry citizens, its not like criminals have ever robbed you, or killed innocent people, or robbed a bank, or mugged anyone. its ok if criminals have guns they wont break the law or harm you in any way with it"

and yes that was a very sarcastic statement....

Here only professional criminals have guns and that is still not common, it is very hard for basic criminals to get their hands on guns because they will never pass the interview where you will get yourself a permit. By professional I mean hells angels and such. Here also automatic rifles are banned and if you even own a lock from Assault rifle that can convert regular "single shot" rifle to automatic rifle you are going to jail for a long time.

Weapons that people use here for killing are mostly knives, axes and blunt weapons. If everyone would carry a gun I wouldn't feel safe, that is stupid.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
edit on 24-7-2012 by thehoneycomb because: spelling

This is my new favorite quote!!!

Originally posted by Screwed
It all really comes down to one or two questions which people who are against guns will never point blank answer.

Who do YOU want in charge of YOUR safety?

A. YOU

B. Police...........

If you choose B then.....Well..... at least you are consistent. Consistently stupid, but.....consistent nonetheless.

Ha-ha-ha!!! I love this!!! Def puts things into perspective...
D

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

[

www.bradycampaign.org...

www.juancole.com...

matt

LOL quoting the Brady whackos on gun violence facts?

Thats like asking the KKK to comment on the merits of diversity.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentRoom

Thank you but it's TRUE!!

Try and get one of these GunOphobes to directly answer that question!!!
They WON'T do it without first ASKING another question.
Answering a question with another question is and ALWAYS will be A COP OUT!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join