English, our nations language?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Have been watching the news this morning. Congressman King, is proposing making English the national language. I do not have a problem with this considering our constitution, road signs, public school text books, etc. are all written in English. Not saying at all we should criminalize those that count, but should be a requirement for somebody to become a citizen.

Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It should be a requirement here in England and when they talk in their own language in front of us I find that very rude and should not be allowed as we don't know what they are saying. We have to respect their language and laws if we go to their country so why don't they respect ours.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Bilingual, I agree with it. Problem is English and Spanish are not the only languages spoken. We are a country of many languages, English being the pro dominant. Centralizing the language should not be about racism or discrimination. But about having everyone being able to communicate with everyone.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vrill
Have been watching the news this morning. Congressman King, is proposing making English the national language. I do not have a problem with this considering our constitution, road signs, public school text books, etc. are all written in English. Not saying at all we should criminalize those that count, but should be a requirement for somebody to become a citizen.

Thoughts?

I think that if you are going to have a job where you have to deal with people then yes you should learn English.
Other than that, who cares what you do in your private life?

And to the person complaining that it's rude to speak another language in front of you.
You are full of yourself. You aren't special and they have every right to speak any language they want.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Thoughts?

I think that if you are going to have a job where you have to deal with people then yes you should learn English.

And to the person complaining that it's rude to speak another language in front of you.
You are full of yourself. You aren't special and they have every right to speak any language they want.

Why should we have to put up with that in our own country. I mean the people who decide to live here should learn our language not tourists. We had a great British country and I have a right to say anything in my own bloody country I can't even show my own flag without hurting other people's feelings. I'm not the only one who feels like this.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I agree, I have know people who have lived in the UK for forty years and still don't know English.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
How they hell do people write the citizenship test if they don't know the language? Do the states just give away the citizenship?

But i doubt, English would be THE ONLY language. Even in Canada we have French as a 2nd language in most province.
edit on 7/24/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by definity
I agree, I have know people who have lived in the UK for forty years and still don't know English.

Tell me do you feel like an outcast when people talk in front of you in their own language? I shouldn't have to feel like this in my own country. I'm sure you lot in US may feel the same. You guys got all angry when they wanted to build a mosque on ground zero in NYC and I'm glad that you did cos its your country and it would have been disrespectful if they did that. All I'm saying is if you want to live in any country you have to learn their native language and respect the natives.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sk8ergrl

Thoughts?

Why should we have to put up with that in our own country. I mean the people who decide to live here should learn our language not tourists. We had a great British country and I have a right to say anything in my own bloody country I can't even show my own flag without hurting other people's feelings. I'm not the only one who feels like this.

Put up with what?!
Someone having a conversation in another language that doesn't even involve you?
Mind your own business.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Here's one small reason...
Government support services.

Lots of your taxes, millions and millions, get paid to "help" people who dont speak english.
You dont get anything back from that. Its just an extra cost of running a country.

link

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Here's one small reason...
Government support services.

Lots of your taxes, millions and millions, get paid to "help" people who dont speak english.
You dont get anything back from that. Its just an extra cost of running a country.

link

How is that a valid reason?
Lots of your taxes, millions and millions, get paid to "help" people WHO SPEAK ENGLISH.
You don't get anything back from them either.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sk8ergrl

you have to learn their native language and respect the natives.

I wonder how many of the "invaders" actually know the original "Native's language".

But i know what you mean. If someone is talking in their native tongue on the street, im okay with that. but at work place while other people are present, nope, not a good manner, and i think workplace rules have that as a no-no.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sk8ergrl

Thoughts?

Put up with what?!
Someone having a conversation in another language that doesn't even involve you?
Mind your own business.

Of course I'll find it suspicious if they talk in their own language in front of me. They could be plotting a murder or anything. We all need to be on our guard but when we can't understand them even when shopping and going to pay for the item they could rip you off and you wouldn't even know till its too late. Why do you think its called England cos we are ENGLISH and proud. Being awake has made me more alert now so of course I'm nosey cos people could be in danger.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

How is that a valid reason?
Lots of your taxes, millions and millions, get paid to "help" people WHO SPEAK ENGLISH.
You don't get anything back from them either.

No you dont get it back.
Thanks for agreeing with me that its a cost you dont get back.
No reason to add to it and make it worse than it needs to be.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
There are even no-go areas where you will get beaten up if your british we are all fed up of how we are being treated can you understand that. I don't care if it hurts people's feelings if I wear my england top in town or celebrate st georgies day or whatever. If you look at the statistics crime has gone up since blair let the gates open and more then likely its a non english criminal.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I would like to say sorry to anyone I have offended I'm not at all like this and I am admitting that I went too far there is no excuse for that I wouldn't even hurt a fly that's not my intentions. So yes please flame me as I deserve it. Not been getting much sleep lately and trying to get my life back on track. I shouldn't have taken it out on anyone so sorry. Love & Light x

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Here in the USA, we mostly speak english. It is the language that ties us all together. I would never move to another country without learning the language of that country. Here in many areas we are forced to speak spanish just to get a job.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

There was a time in this country where we had something called "common courtesy".
Things like:
1) Use your turn signal when you change lanes. Not for yourself, but as a courtesy to others.
Afterall, you know where you are going, the person behind you does not.
2) Don't walk down the middle of the grocery aisle, other people shopping cannot pass on the left or the right.
3) Please and Thank You.
And tons of others.

Now I grew up in the midwest where there were many Italian, German, Polish and Czech immigrants.
One time, I was outside playing with my best friend and he saw his mother and yelled to his mother in Italian. She immediately (and in English) scolded him.
She said, "it is rude to speak Italian in public. If you want to speak to me in Italian, you come in the house Your friend does not know whether or not you are saying something good or bad, whether you are talking to me or to him. It is common courtesy and you had better learn that." She swatted him on the ass and said; "Now go apologize to your friend, that is, if he will keep you as a friend."

I am sure, that many of my age and older can tell the same story.

Courtesy used to mean something. Courtesy creates trust. Trust creates friendship. Friendship creates a community spirit through the good times and the bad times.

And people like you who don't understand the basics, wonder why nobody gets along anymore
edit on 25-7-2012 by dirkpotters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
In the last job that I had, I worked with hispanics, africans, asians and indians. Most of them all spoke english. Most of the hispanics for some reason would only speak it if they had to. I spent 8 years having to listen to a foreign language all day and it drove me insane! I felt as though I was leaving the country 5 or 6 days a week. It was horrible. They told everyone else to learn spanish.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

sounds like a great opportunity to learn spanish, every cloud....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join