It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Language of Thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Now I am a primary english speaker, however I was wondering; When people from France, Spain, China, etc are thinking inside their head, are their thoughts in that language or in English? What language is our thoughts in?

Just a little something I got to thinking about after watching this.

www.pimsleurapproach.com...[ifsearch200: search200]&kw=&ad=14689989185&SiteTarget=4d743cd0f0b577af.anonymous.google&s_kwcid=TC|3792||4d743cd0f0b577af.anonymous.google|C[ifsearch200:S]||146899 89185&gclid=CObUia7xsrECFcua7QodT0cA2Q

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
They think in their own language i guess.

I remember talking to someone who can speak several languages very well and they said it depends what language they are speaking at the time.

Here's a better question.
Someone who is def and lets say they can't speak. How do they think inside their heads?
:S
edit on 24-7-2012 by Ephio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ephio

I remember talking to someone who can speak several languages very well and they said it depends what language they are speaking at the time.

Someone who is def and lets say they can't speak. How do they think inside their heads?

You will need an understanding of [un]conscios thought and quantum mechanics for that, me amigosan.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

i know when i speak with Mexicans even if there speaking english(mostly broken) i tend to start thinking in mexican along with english, I can speak broken mexican as some mexicans speak broken english. So I guess it all depends on what u are thinking, what you are saying and who you are saying it to.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ephio

They probably think in pictures and stuff. Im not deaf but that is what form my thoughts are in. It is actually extremely rare for me to actually think in words. When i think, images and scenes like a slide show or like a movie reel pop into my head. This way of thinking was actually a cause for my stutter problem when i was little because i couldnt always translate my thoughts into words as quickly as others.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhamBam

Originally posted by Ephio

You will need an understanding of [un]conscios thought and quantum mechanics for that, me amigosan.

Huh? Theres a link to concious thought and quantum mechanics? :/. Might have to bring this up with a few friends over some beer.

Anyhow, its theorized that the nature of though is in you own 'native' language until another language is learned. In theory my concious thoughts can be in the following languages: English, Japanese, French, Spanish & Italian.

My first language is English. However when speaking a certain language my concious thought switches to that language, i suppose its my subconcious shifting so i can best work with the new dialect? Who the hell knows. All i know is when i only spoke one language, i thought in english, now it concious thought switches.

Edit - Oh deaf people, its an interesting concept, the only deaf people i do know are those that had an event that caused it, and thus means its tainted, but they think in english
edit on 24-7-2012 by Spruk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I've never really thought about thoughts as a language, or spoken language I mean. I think in pictures but English is my primary language, so I suppose unconciously I could be 'labeling' the images with english words.. Is this what you mean?
It would be intriguing to see something completely new-- how would the mind 'label' it? I imagine my first thoughts would be animate or inanimate ? then animal, vegetable, mineral etc.

top topics

join